Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Is it possible to Replace the Cover on Tail Lights

Old 03-10-2011, 12:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is it possible to Replace the Cover on Tail Lights

Hey,

I recently found one of my tail lights has a 2 inch hole on it. Not sure how it happened. Does anybody here know if it is possible to replace just the cover on it? Or do I need to replace the entire assembly? I found a link for a left and right cover, but not sure it is the right part for the job.

Mopar Parts Catalog

Your help is appreciated!

Steve

Old 03-10-2011, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Is it possible to Replace the Cover on Tail Lights

just buy these used ones... it would be easier to replace a whole taillight than a taillight lens.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...04-2005-a.html

Old 08-01-2011, 08:49 AM

Steve - I just noticed my '06 Roadster driver's side tail light is damaged. Did you change the entire light assembly or just replace the cover? As you're aware, the cover is a lot less expensive than buying the entire unit.
Any help would be appreciated.

DB

Old 08-01-2011, 01:32 PM
Received 608 Likes on 488 Posts

Used tail-light assemblies can be had fairly easy from salvage yards. I use the following link to get call-backs on hard-to-find parts. I've replaced both tail-light assemblies on my 07 Coupe due to folks who can't drive in a parking lot. And the link helped me find the front end parts I needed to fix my 1993 SSGT.

GetUsedParts.com

Old 10-24-2011, 08:38 PM
Question Re: Is it possible to Replace the Cover on Tail Lights

hey, sorry for bringing back this old thread but it did not answer the initial question. My taillights work great but have two chips missing from the lower inner corners of the tail lights and i was wondering if it were possible to just replace the cover, it doesnt look like there is the same type of adhesive as the front which are known to be impossible to separate without cutting. Just wondering because $$ is a little tight but the sight keeps bugging me. Im sure you guys know what i mean, thanks

Old 10-25-2011, 02:38 AM
Received 608 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by Pat13
hey, sorry for bringing back this old thread but it did not answer the initial question. My taillights work great but have two chips missing from the lower inner corners of the tail lights and i was wondering if it were possible to just replace the cover, it doesnt look like there is the same type of adhesive as the front which are known to be impossible to separate without cutting. Just wondering because $$ is a little tight but the sight keeps bugging me. Im sure you guys know what i mean, thanks
My initial perspective on this is just replace the entire taillight assembly. Too much hassle trying to remove only the outer cover without creating additional damage, even though the website referenced earlier in this thread shows the outer cover available for both sides.

So that leaves getting a taillight assembly from an internet source and/or local dealer at a reduced price. Your options are:

1) purchasing a new assembly from a dealer trying to unload parts at a reduced price. I bought the DS unit from Steve White CDJ in Hickory, NC back in 2009 for about $300 delivered to my door. Still somewhat a pricey option.

2) purchasing a used assembly in good condition from a salvage dealer. I bought the PS unit from a dealer using the link I supplied in an earlier post for $150 delivered to my door. The only thing I had to do was use some lens cleaner/polish (hand rubbing) on the outer lens to shine it up. Couldn't tell it from the new assembly.

If you go the "replace only the outer cover route", let us know the details. This could be a real plus to all of us down the road.

Good Luck,

Last edited by dedwards0323; 10-25-2011 at 02:50 AM.