Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.
View Poll Results: I think this...
...looks great! I'll consider doing this mod myself!
100.00%
...unnecessary, uncool and just pure
0%
...is not road legal where I live.
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Side marker 2 indicator-mod [VIDEO inside]

Old 03-06-2011, 01:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Side marker 2 indicator-mod [VIDEO inside]

Hi!

I thought I'd share this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXiAKfLPti0

/ FUBU

Last edited by FUBU; 08-06-2011 at 03:47 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:21 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Side marker 2 indicator-mod [VIDEO inside]

Is there a how-to somewhere? I think it's pretty slick.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by TomStratRT
Is there a how-to somewhere? I think it's pretty slick.
Thanks dude. Made it yesterday. I can do a short write up and photos if anyone needs it.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:16 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd like to see it. Thanks!

Old 03-06-2011, 03:55 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the marker light flashing like that.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:00 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good. That is the way my 81 vette works. From the video, I am wondering if the side marker stays on with the running lights are on?? That would be a must.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by corfire
Looks good. That is the way my 81 vette works. From the video, I am wondering if the side marker stays on with the running lights are on?? That would be a must.
They way I have done it is that the front side markers are not illuminated when running lights are on. It is not allowed where I am at. I did not test that combination of have both side markers on and having it as indicator aswell. but it should be just a matter of connecting a cable.

See next post for DIY instructs.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:39 PM

Side marker convert 2 indicator ONLY

Here is how I did it.

BEWARE: Always when doing electrical on cars take off the positive pole on the battery.

1. open up the front side markers
2. remove housing and lamp
3. cables (BROWN) and (RED AND GREY) on one side, and (BROWN) and (BLACK/GREY) on the other. See schematics and pictures.
4. the actual matter on how to do this the easiest way should be up to you. But simply, from the LEFT headlamp assembly, there is a connector. disconnect it.
5. Connect a cable to the BLACK/GREEN cable and simply connect it with the side marker.
6. Do the same on the RIGHT head lamp assembly where the cable is BLACK/WHITE and connect it to the other side marker. BEWARE: Funny enough there is a cable that is WHITE/BLACK. To decide which on it is, look for position "1" on the connector housing. the rubber around it is blue. should be top left when looking at the connections.

Voila!

HINT: Before taping up and start soldering and all, please check that everything is working properly.

If you solder, cut and twirl cables, use tape, I guess many ways of doing this is possible.

Also, I guess if you want the side markers to work as normal (illuminated at all times) AND be used as an indicator, try the above procedure BUT keep the original cables (RED/GREY) and (BLACK/GREY) but just connect the BLACK/WHITE and BLACK/GREEN aswell. It may work.

Regards,

FUBU

BTW. My 555th POST!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1.jpg (37.4 KB, 36 views)
2.jpg (44.9 KB, 36 views)
3.jpg (75.9 KB, 46 views)
4.jpg (79.9 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by FUBU; 03-06-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:16 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think that is a great idea.....especially if you can have the side markers on like normal...

Old 03-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The electrical wizards here might correct me but aren't you supposed to unhook the negative terminal first then the positive? Also would a single filiment light or whatever work properly when there is 2 hot sources to the same wire? Would the power try to backfeed or something when both are on? Say you had the lights on and then turned the signals on, the bulb is already lit up why would it flash? Wouldn't you need a double filiment bulb like the tailights? Just asking for clarification.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:16 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I thought you were going for the "light up, staying on" feature, not just blink...but, I like it either way...

Old 03-07-2011, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by Larry Hitze
The electrical wizards here might correct me but aren't you supposed to unhook the negative terminal first then the positive? Also would a single filiment light or whatever work properly when there is 2 hot sources to the same wire? Would the power try to backfeed or something when both are on? Say you had the lights on and then turned the signals on, the bulb is already lit up why would it flash? Wouldn't you need a double filiment bulb like the tailights? Just asking for clarification.
Would be nice if some electro wizard helped you guys out for sure. I am not allowed to have the front side markers illuminated at all time. Only as indicators. Hence, no solution for both illuminated side markers and indicators was tested nor achieved.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
I thought you were going for the "light up, staying on" feature, not just blink...but, I like it either way...
Sorry mate. Not allowed here..

Old 03-07-2011, 08:00 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think this would be best accomplished by using the 12VDC from the signal indicator to operate a relay that would turn on/off the side marker? It would take 2 relays, but...

Just sayin'...

Old 03-07-2011, 02:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Re: Side marker 2 indicator-mod [VIDEO inside]

The UK cars have this as an indicator as standard and these flash orange by having an orange bulb in clear lamp housing. The twin core wire is simply connected in with the main indicator unit that faces forwards. But to have it lit all the time along with main lights, and have it flash will be hell of a job. You cant buy twin filament 501 type bulbs and even if you did source a bulb you would loose the impact of the flash as the other filament will be continuously lit. Relays at each side could re divert the current as required but would not flash in sequence with main flashers, but wow what a job! If you want them to flash only, just piggyback off the existing wires.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:26 PM

Piggyback it is I got a lamp failure light come on after 20 minutes. I wonder why that is. All lights do work. I guess the system feels that the normal side marker cables have lost connection... Any idea to change this? pull the fuse for side markers?

Old 03-07-2011, 04:50 PM

The UK cars side indicators are literally wired into the supply to main front indicators, so simply share the current. If you are getting fault light, check that the bulbs you are using are correct type, and in the right way round in the bulb holder. I think these are 10 watts. What have you done with the side marker bulb supply wires? The prob may be as you suggest to do with these. If you blank off the live and put the other to earth, may fix it.
Out of interest, the UK cars do not have the red illuminated rear markers, as standard we have plain amber reflectors. So I have fitted a set of USA red markers and have piggybacked the wires into my rear light wiring with no problems, and I have used both 5 and 10 watt 501 bulbs with no issues.

Attached Images
100_1296.JPG (2.15 MB, 12 views)

Last edited by Steve - UK; 03-07-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Steve - UK
The UK cars side indicators are literally wired into the supply to main front indicators, so simply share the current. If you are getting fault light, check that the bulbs you are using are correct type, and in the right way round in the bulb holder. I think these are 10 watts. What have you done with the side marker bulb supply wires? The prob may be as you suggest to do with these. If you blank off the live and put the other to earth, may fix it.
Out of interest, the UK cars do not have the red illuminated rear markers, as standard we have plain amber reflectors. So I have fitted a set of USA red markers and have piggybacked the wires into my rear light wiring with no problems, and I have used both 5 and 10 watt 501 bulbs with no issues.
Will check bulbs tomorrow. Blank off the live?meaning? Removing the cable for the illuminated side marker? Ie grey/red and grey/black?I am lost .. Knackered aswell..

Old 03-07-2011, 10:01 PM

Maybe use this system to get both, good luck.

See Attachment

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Markerflash.pdf (68.2 KB, 34 views)
Old 03-07-2011, 10:16 PM

Buy 2 dual fillament bulbs with a connector and pigtail. One lead will go to the normal side indicator so it is lit all the time, the other to the second lead which can be spliced from the blinker in the headlight.

Quick Reply: Side marker 2 indicator-mod [VIDEO inside]