Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Aluminium Roof Spoiler That Fits

Old 02-06-2011, 09:25 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Aluminium Roof Spoiler That Fits

Just modified a 1993 Nissan Pathfinder rear hatch spoiler to fit the Crossfire. I don't recommend this mod unless you have (( L O T 's )) of hours to devote. Origional weight with a set of freon charging scales was 3 pounds,eleven and half ounces. After trimming down and greatly thinning the thickness for a perfect fit,it now weights in at one pound,two and half ounces. The crab claw design on the front is necessary to clear the cars body when opening our hatch. I'll be painting the roof spoiler when I finish my front grill and front spoiler spliters. Squirrel Crusher

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
R1-08133-0017.jpg (898.5 KB, 119 views)
R1-08133-0024.jpg (1.43 MB, 140 views)
R1-08133-0020.jpg (1.10 MB, 206 views)
R1-08133-0021.jpg (1.16 MB, 212 views)
R1-08133-0022.jpg (1.29 MB, 169 views)

Last edited by Squirrel Crusher; 02-06-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Aluminium Roof Spoiler That Fits

I love it! Whats the relationship between the black abs part in the first pic to the alum part thats installed? Did you have to bend/form it much?

I will be keeping an eye out at work for sure for one of these..Super cool

Old 02-07-2011, 08:04 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by green-ghost
I love it! Whats the relationship between the black abs part in the first pic to the alum part thats installed? Did you have to bend/form it much?

I will be keeping an eye out at work for sure for one of these..Super cool
If I am right the the black part is the original Nissan Pathfinder rear hatch spoiler before he went to work on it. The other part is the finished product he made out of the black piece(Nissan Pathfinder rear hatch spoiler). And if I am correct "unless you have (( L O T 's )) of hours to devote" is an understatement!!!

Old 02-07-2011, 12:58 PM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can see it now .....in about two weeks the national parts manager at Nissan will be scratching his head and wondering why there is a run on Pathfinder rear hatch spoilers. Nice job!

Old 02-07-2011, 07:09 PM

Yes the big black piece is a 1993-1995 Pathfinder factory aluminium spoiler before I cut it down to the smaller unfinished piece. Just a few of these vehicles came with the cheaper straight flat spoilers that you don't want. It needs to have the center hump. Paint remover easily takes the black paint off. The 4 mounting holes will need to be welded in before thinning down the thickness. The only bending necessary was putting the bar over my knee to increase the arch on the flat ends. The hump MUST remain flat on top so it want hit your cars body when the hatch is opened. Be sure to cut out the crab claw design on the front. I could go more in depth with suggestions if you are going to do this mod. Bought 4 of these spoilers at Pull-A-Part at $5.00 each. Squirrel Crusher

Old 02-07-2011, 07:54 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Squirrel, it looks GREAT! I like the looks on the car and the little spoilers on your lower diffusers.....

I thought you were not going to use the spoilers over the tail lights??? My choice would be to go without them.... but it isn't my car!!

I love your work man!!

Old 02-07-2011, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by MikeR
Squirrel, it looks GREAT! I like the looks on the car and the little spoilers on your lower diffusers.....

I thought you were not going to use the spoilers over the tail lights??? My choice would be to go without them.... but it isn't my car!!

I love your work man!!
LOL...and Thanks.. I change out my tail lights just to confuse people. Working on style three now. Squirrel Crusher

Attached Images
R1-08133-0008.jpg (1,021.8 KB, 87 views)
R1-08133-0013.jpg (969.9 KB, 89 views)
Old 02-07-2011, 09:39 PM

did you cut the louvers or are they that way from the factory? sorry but I cant quite see them in the first pic (black stock).

You have excellent vision in creating new/cool stuff. Way to think outside the box

Old 02-08-2011, 12:26 AM

did you cut the louvers or are they that way from the factory? sorry but I cant quite see them in the first pic (black stock).

You have excellent vision in creating new/cool stuff. Way to think outside the box
Hey..Thanks.. I used a cut-off grinding wheel attachment for a Roto Zip. A thin grinding disk on a standard grinder would work just as well. Clamped a section of steel onto the middle to keep the grinding lines straight. The louvered area would have looked to thin and rough using a jig saw. Left a 2" section uncut in the middle center to keep the louvers strong and never warping. Squirrel Crusher

Old 02-08-2011, 12:48 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by patpur
I can see it now .....in about two weeks the national parts manager at Nissan will be scratching his head and wondering why there is a run on Pathfinder rear hatch spoilers. Nice job!
Last month I got promoted at Nissan, and I am now the DPIC (Dealer parts information center) agent for the NPRC (Nissan Parts Redistribution Center).

In short, these increased demands and "runs" on parts will come across my desk with an expedite flag for our dealer network.

The good news is, it's an old part so the surge will only last so long.

And SQ, I still love those tail light fins. PM me your price to make a set identical to those pictured above (style 3, the last pic), it would be much appreciated. I know you're not mass-marketing those, but... say if you made a "spare" set...

Old 02-08-2011, 06:32 AM

Cool, this is something Im pretty sure I can nail. One more question though, the crab claw cut you mention, is that the angled cuts in the top center of the spoiler? When I find the part, I will PM you if I get stuck again, if thats cool with you.

Lastly, I read on another thread about how you modified your washer tank to make vents that worked. I never knew you had done so much cool stuff to your car!! (don't know how I missed that ) But I cant find much for pics in your gallery. do you have any info,links to them

Pooly

Old 02-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lastly, I read on another thread about how you modified your washer tank to make vents that worked. I never knew you had done so much cool stuff to your car!! (don't know how I missed that ) But I cant find much for pics in your gallery. do you have any info,links to them

Pooly
Pooly, I thought I had a car that needed to be seen to be appreciated, but SQ takes the cake in high-end one off custom mods. Between the functional vents, hood vents - that actually channel the water out, tail fins, side skirts (with lights) from an RX8, etc. I have to say that SQ is one of the more talented individuals here and I always look forward to seeing what he is thinking about next.....

Old 02-08-2011, 11:39 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
I have to say that SQ is one of the more talented individuals here and I always look forward to seeing what he is thinking about next.....
Amen on that one

Old 02-08-2011, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
Pooly, I thought I had a car that needed to be seen to be appreciated, but SQ takes the cake in high-end one off custom mods. Between the functional vents, hood vents - that actually channel the water out, tail fins, side skirts (with lights) from an RX8, etc. I have to say that SQ is one of the more talented individuals here and I always look forward to seeing what he is thinking about next.....
No doubt! I saw the side skirts with the lights and just thought WOW. I see so many projects/mods that I want to try and eventually will give them a shot. Its cool that the members here help to figure it all out. BTW it was squirrell crushers hand written directions that REALLY helped me through my roll bar installation

Old 02-09-2011, 12:15 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Do you have a better picture of the side skirts? Thanks!

Old 02-11-2011, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by psuperti
Do you have a better picture of the side skirts? Thanks!
I do have pictures of fiberglassing RX-8 side skirts to fix the Crossfire. This is a picture from the last Dragon. Squirrel Crusher

Attached Images
dadscar.JPG (635.8 KB, 51 views)
Old 02-11-2011, 11:50 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Very nice!!!

Old 02-12-2011, 09:59 AM

Thanks Squirrel crusher Im now going insane racking my brain with every part we throw out at work trying to make a spoiler like yours! My boss caught me with a rocker panel and asked what the heck I was doing? i told him just thinking outside the box. Now he is positive Im demented and have to much free time at work

also still looking for a front lip I can mod up too

Old 02-12-2011, 10:12 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I like those skirts Squirrel....nice job. Nothing like a one-off custom car. Keep up the good work.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:52 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Squirrel, did you change your eye brows??? Those look familiar....

Quick Reply: Aluminium Roof Spoiler That Fits