Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Body work paint match question - RED Owners

Old 12-30-2010, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body work paint match question - RED Owners

Hi All,
I'm taking my car into a local shop that has great reviews on Monday to repair and repaint the rear bumper cover where the PO got bumped.
They are going about it the right way, taking the cover off, repairing it and then painting and clearing the whole cover.
My question is this. Has anyone had any body work done on their Red Crossfire. If so, How happy were you with the color match ?
Thanks

Old 12-30-2010, 08:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Body work paint match question- RED Owners

It will be ok if the painter is on the ball and adds the correct pigments/metallics. Red is an easy color to match and the only portion that you should concentrate on is the side of the bumper, by the rear sidemarker, as that will be where the bumper will lay flush with the rear qtr panel.

Im trying to say that the rear portion of the bumper is at such an angle to the licenceplate area that the sunlight will make it hard to distinguish a proper match, again however, the side of the bumper aand qtr will have light hitting them at the same angle.

You might want to bring friends to look it over too. Check to see if the metallic content matches too

Pooly

Old 12-30-2010, 09:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been in the auto paint business for many years. Red can be a ***** to match. Any of the paint companies only promises to provide a "Blendable Match". Since there is no blend in this repair, the painter has to tint to match and get it dead on.

A *lot* of painters get lazy with bumper covers, since, most often, they don't match the rest of the car anyway. As far as I can tell, the XFire bumpers *do* match... so, again, the painter is going to have to get it dead on.

He'd do best, if possible, to paint and blend the repair area. He would scuff the entire bumper cover, paint and blend the repair area, the clear the entire thing. That would give the best results (other than a gnats *** color match).

Old 12-31-2010, 06:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joliet John
I've been in the auto paint business for many years. Red can be a ***** to match. Any of the paint companies only promises to provide a "Blendable Match". Since there is no blend in this repair, the painter has to tint to match and get it dead on.

A *lot* of painters get lazy with bumper covers, since, most often, they don't match the rest of the car anyway. As far as I can tell, the XFire bumpers *do* match... so, again, the painter is going to have to get it dead on.

He'd do best, if possible, to paint and blend the repair area. He would scuff the entire bumper cover, paint and blend the repair area, the clear the entire thing. That would give the best results (other than a gnats *** color match).
J/John...good point & very true, God Im getting old- how'd I overlook that What I ment is red is eaieier than white or silver which are tough to get right and I see our painters consistently getting a good match on reds. Im wondering if the 3 stage paint will be a little tougher though?

Old 12-31-2010, 06:43 AM

I have been amazed at how many car makers use Blaze Red. It's universal like Aero Blue. very close. I look at Duplicolor touch up sticks. Hard to tell difference. I use a GM red on my 2005 Triumph motorcycle. the color matches my SE. Gary

Old 12-31-2010, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Joliet John
I think thats what he said he was going to do. I have an area in the center
with an impression of a license plate and screws and a small dent with impression in the corner.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:16 AM
Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Re: Body work paint match question - RED Owners

I have Blaze red. I had a new front bumper cover and a rear SRT wing both painted off the car. No blending since it was new. I can't tell the difference, dead on as far as I'm concerned. The painter did pay close attention to the metallic on the original paint on my car to make it match perfect.

James

Old 12-31-2010, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by James1549
I have Blaze red. I had a new front bumper cover and a rear SRT wing both painted off the car. No blending since it was new. I can't tell the difference, dead on as far as I'm concerned. The painter did pay close attention to the metallic on the original paint on my car to make it match perfect.

James
Thats good to hear, Thanks

Old 12-31-2010, 07:32 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by green-ghost
J/John...good point & very true, God Im getting old- how'd I overlook that What I ment is red is eaieier than white or silver which are tough to get right and I see our painters consistently getting a good match on reds. Im wondering if the 3 stage paint will be a little tougher though?
I wouldn't say red is easier than white, silver or any other color. There are hundreds of shades of red, different metallics, tri-stages... yes, matching a tri-stage of any color is more difficult.

An interesting car paint note (maybe) ... among the different brands out there (PPG, DuPont, Sherwin-Williams, Sikkens...), within each, there are colors that generally almost always match well, and others which tend to always be a problem. A painter using PPG might find the standard formula on red cars nearly always matches, but he might find he is always battling with whites. Using a different brand of paint, he may find himself fighting the reds.

No matter what brand or what car, it always boils down the the talent and experience of the painter. I know painters who seem to struggle with almost every job, and I know painters who can shoot just about anything and never have a problem.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have them take off the front grille, remove the silver strips(and install after paintwork) and prep/paint the stupid gray part red to match the car. I did that for a local guys Crossfire and it looks beautiful................as it should have been from the factory.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Moparrbust
Have them take off the front grille, remove the silver strips(and install after paintwork) and prep/paint the stupid gray part red to match the car. I did that for a local guys Crossfire and it looks beautiful................as it should have been from the factory.
I saw a picture of that done, not my cup of tea. I like a little contrast.
If anything, I would like to paint the gray part satin black or do that carbon fiber printing / coating process.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:24 PM

I picked the car up today and they did an outstanding job. It looks like brand new.
They even washed the whole car for me.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a little late; and I know the OP doesn't like it, but I stumbled upon this pic while searching for another one...........

DSC06182.jpg

Old 01-06-2011, 11:05 PM
Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

I would like to see the red grille on a red car. I think it may be too much red in the front, but you never know.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:06 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by James1549
I would like to see the red grille on a red car. I think it may be too much red in the front, but you never know.
+1 someone did this on an alabaster and the front of the car was too white, did not look right.....