Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

yellow fog light upgrade

Old 11-18-2010, 09:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default yellow fog light upgrade

I did searching and found that you can get 55wt or 80wt yellow replacement bulbs for our fog lights. Just wondering if the 80 watt is safe and reliable ie, heat drain on system? And do yellow help night vision more than brighter white bulbs...seems Im getting older and the night vision is becoming a PITA

If so can anyone recommend a place that sells quality bulbs

Old 11-18-2010, 10:57 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: yellow fog light upgrade

I just upgraded my fogs to HID and I would suggest you look into this. I have been using the same vendor on ebay and just got the kits for ~$37 shipped. The 5K HIDs that close to the road, the visibility is drastically improved, especially at twilight when yellows would not help too much.

Just my 0.02

Old 11-18-2010, 11:28 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Replacing the bulbs with yellow is fine for fog, dust snow etc. but will not help at all for regular (clear) driving conditions.

Installing higher wattage bulbs of ANY color could be a costly mistake-definitely a chance of damage

Boiler is right: replace your low beams with HID's and your world will change. 4300K or 5000K temp/color. (4300K White/5000K slight blue/white).
Add to that HID fogs and you'll be covered. They will increase glare in foggy/snowy conditions, though.
Yellow (3500K) HID fogs might be your ticket to happiness!

Last edited by maxcichon; 11-18-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:34 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I found this info. about yellow lenses,(Wikipedia),ha ha Selective yellow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Don't know if it will help with your decision or not, but I can relate to aging eyes. BTW, glad your surgery went well and thanks for your help. I'm still trying to track down that template for the SLK-170 rollbars install. Edit: That Porsche 911 owner sure thought that yellow is a good idea!!

Last edited by dinasrt; 11-18-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by dinasrt
I'm still trying to track down that template for the SLK-170 rollbars install.
I am not sure if this helps, but I have the instructions in digital format I can send over. Let me know.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
I am not sure if this helps, but I have the instructions in digital format I can send over. Let me know.
That would be great. I'll P.M. you my e-mail. In tracking down that template, apparantly last year TVT sent them to a member in Texas, if anybody knows who that may be?

Old 11-18-2010, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by dinasrt
That would be great. I'll P.M. you my e-mail. In tracking down that template, apparantly last year TVT sent them to a member in Texas, if anybody knows who that may be?
Emails on their way.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:21 PM

Got it, thank you for that.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just upgraded my fogs to HID and I would suggest you look into this. I have been using the same vendor on ebay and just got the kits for ~$37 shipped. The 5K HIDs that close to the road, the visibility is drastically improved, especially at twilight when yellows would not help too much.

Just my 0.02
I believe I came across that site today(EBAY) where he says his stuff is better than what some chinese dude makes in his living room Says his wont flicker and come from japan and work great in german cars. Do you have a link so I can put it on my wish/project list. Thanks

Pooly

Old 11-18-2010, 04:55 PM

Try this:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-pictures.html

Old 11-19-2010, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by green-ghost
I believe I came across that site today(EBAY) where he says his stuff is better than what some chinese dude makes in his living room Says his wont flicker and come from japan and work great in german cars. Do you have a link so I can put it on my wish/project list. Thanks

Pooly
Stick with a Xentec kit and you will be fine, had the last one in my old XF for over 18 months, never a problem.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a HID kit (brand) that is better than the other?? I have put four set of fog light bulbs trying to find the "perfect" bulb and I haven't...

Thanks, Doug
2005 Roadster Limited

Old 07-18-2011, 09:25 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm on the search for HID upgrade as well... So Xentec is the go-to kit?

I'm looking into 6000K for low-beams, and considering the 3500K kit for the fogs. I only use the fog lights in, well, foggy/snowy conditions... So the glare from an HD kit would not be favorable. If it's light fog I normally just run low-beams...

And Max, I might seek your assist on an install.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by JHM2K

I'm looking into 6000K for low-beams, and considering the 3500K kit for the fogs. I only use the fog lights in, well, foggy/snowy conditions... So the glare from an HD kit would not be favorable. If it's light fog I normally just run low-beams...

I found these last week:

PHILIPS Xenon HID Conversion Kit H7 6000K | eBay

A bit pricier, but higher quality than the cheap, but so far perfect Chinese sets I have.

I'd be happy to assist in any way I can, bud! C'mon down, or meet me in B'ham next Sat. I'll be attending an AutoX there.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:05 AM

Jon,

I have had several sets of the pricey ones and more of the cheaper ones. The last cheap set lasted longer than the car and I just ordered another set yesterday ($37 shipped) because with the flooding here, I had to drive down a road where they got fried the water was so high....

Personally, I buy the cheap ones, but I simply buy 2 kits so that I have plenty of spare bulbs and ballasts just in case. And I am certain this is something you can do yourself, but after doing 5+ of these myself, there are tricks you learn and Max will be much quicker (even if he is a week or two older than dirt LOL). Have him change out your front corner bulbs as well or their yellow light will make the HIDs look bad

Old 07-19-2011, 09:12 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I wish I'd known you were in the market for 6k HID's. I have a brand new set of ballast and a used set of 6k bulbs in the basement.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by grip grip
I wish I'd known you were in the market for 6k HID's. I have a brand new set of ballast and a used set of 6k bulbs in the basement.
Make me a deal I can't refuse

Old 07-19-2011, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
I found these last week:

PHILIPS Xenon HID Conversion Kit H7 6000K | eBay

A bit pricier, but higher quality than the cheap, but so far perfect Chinese sets I have.

I'd be happy to assist in any way I can, bud! C'mon down, or meet me in B'ham next Sat. I'll be attending an AutoX there.
Thank you for the offer! It won't be that soon, but before the dragon if all goes as planned.

Thanks again,

Old 07-19-2011, 09:19 AM

Jon,

I have had several sets of the pricey ones and more of the cheaper ones. The last cheap set lasted longer than the car and I just ordered another set yesterday ($37 shipped) because with the flooding here, I had to drive down a road where they got fried the water was so high....

Personally, I buy the cheap ones, but I simply buy 2 kits so that I have plenty of spare bulbs and ballasts just in case. And I am certain this is something you can do yourself, but after doing 5+ of these myself, there are tricks you learn and Max will be much quicker (even if he is a week or two older than dirt LOL). Have him change out your front corner bulbs as well or their yellow light will make the HIDs look bad
Yeah the plan is to do a full-blown bulb upgrade (corners, side markers, low-beams, fogs, license plate lights, etc). And, it seems this morning I blew a RH rear stop lamp.

One of these days, I'll get my Bilsteins put on...

Old 07-19-2011, 09:47 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Make me a deal I can't refuse
How does $25 sound?

Quick Reply: yellow fog light upgrade