Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Headlight Speed Clips

Old 11-09-2010, 10:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Speed Clips

Disclaimer: this is a subject that has been brought up many times as I've seen on different threads and posts so if you are easily annoyed by re-reading old problems read no further. I would however appreciate any help that could be offered.

Problem:
I purchased a used Crossfire about a year ago and, at the time of purchase, failed to notice that the left headlamp was missing the metal clip that holds the bulb in place. Through reading various threads concerning the process of acquiring a replacement clip, I've come to learn that it is referred to as a "speed clip."
Currently, with the lack of my speed clip, the bulb rattles against the headlight enclosure and fails to aim straight ahead which results in horrible night-driving vision. I also have recently purchased new HID lights to better my night-driving vision but without the clip, the new HID lights wont stay in place either. I've read a few suggestions as to how to solve the problem of getting a new clip some of which include:

- Find one from a wrecked car. [Since Crossfires themselves are nearly fabled creatures with only a few in surrounding towns near me, the chances that I would be able to find a wrecked one to pull parts from is slim to none].

- Have a metal shop forge one. [There are no shops near me to request to have one fabricated].

- Steal one. [However tempting, I'd hate to put someone else in this same predicament].

- Go to a dealer. [I've come to learn that all dealers completely rip their customers off and I refuse to pay $500 for a new headlight assembly when all I need is [essentially] a well-shaped PAPER CLIP].

So, I've come to ask the geniuses of this forum if anyone has started fabricating and selling their own speed clips or if there are any other suggestions as to how I may acquire one of these m-effing pieces of wire?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Headlight Speed Clips

You are in luck, my friend!

We were just talking about this as I am refinishing a set of headlights for my new car and was missing a clip.

I called my neighbor who runs a body shop and had one within 20 minutes of looking through old headlights, any H7 setup SHOULD work fine, mine came from a Nissan.

The long and short, an extra clip was provided by Larry_hitze and MaxCichon is going to start making them. Max will chime in here I am sure, but to the best of my knowledge, he has yet to receive the clip, and when he does, it will no doubt take a little time to replicate.

If you are looking for a fast solution, go to a bodyshop and ask them to look at their old headlights they keep for pieces. and if not, Max will be here soon

Old 11-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I mailed it last friday, he will get it some time this week hopefully. Then it is up to Max's expert crafting skills because if I did it it would just be a horrible bent paper clip.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:38 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just in from 3 days in Birmingham-at a hospital. The #1 child (daughter) is in the shop with an infection, not SARS, that is now being treat with antibiotics.

I'll be making them as soon as possible. But maybe not this week..Sorry guys. But in the next 7 days or so.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:16 AM
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Wishing your daughter a speedy recovery Max.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about your lit'l girl too.

I work in an auto body shop and we toss out broken parts all the time. If someone can post a pic of this clip I can keep an eye out and salvage them. Be no problem mailing them out for free to who ever needs one.

great day

Pooly

Old 11-10-2010, 08:47 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try this place since I do think SAAB's use the same clip?
http://www.partswebsite.com/autopart...105&type=parts
its called a spring back less than 10$ not sue if its the same size? they are made by Valeo. do the drill search for headlamps and then spring and it should show figure #10 being the clip we use. hope this helps.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Just in from 3 days in Birmingham-at a hospital. The #1 child (daughter) is in the shop with an infection, not SARS, that is now being treat with antibiotics.

I'll be making them as soon as possible. But maybe not this week..Sorry guys. But in the next 7 days or so.
Had no idea, I will keep her in my thoughts.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:13 AM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by maxcichon

I wish her a speedy recovery Max.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:06 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I hope she gets well soon Max, The clips, well they can wait the family is certainly the most important.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:23 PM

OK, I will keep an eye out, if some one has aprox measurements of the clip it would help

Old 11-11-2010, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by green-ghost
OK, I will keep an eye out, if some one has aprox measurements of the clip it would help
I would just look for any import lenses that use H7 bulbs and many of them are the same. I will try to post a picture soon.....

Old 11-12-2010, 09:51 AM

Thanks for all of the ideas and recommendations. This is definitely, hands down, the most helpful community/forum I've ever come across.

Max, take your time with the clips and tend to your family. I hope for your daughter to get well soon.

BoilerUpXFire: looking for some other H7 clips sounds like a good idea. I'll see if there are any shops near by that might have some junked headlight assemblies laying around.

Green-Ghost: I will try to take a picture and upload it on here within the week.

KingKub57: thanks for the suggestion I will look into whether or not those SAAB clips are the same size.

Anybody who comes across/forges these clips please keep us posted!

Thanks again everyone.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:01 PM

I got the example from Larry and ordered the SST .049" music wire. Be here Monday.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:40 AM

Any headway on fabricating the clip?

Old 12-20-2010, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by rampntlion
Any headway on fabricating the clip?
Funny you should ask-I just received 2 with "Insufficient Postage" on the envelope for a member. I'll be re-sending them in the morning.

I can make them for folks as needed.

PM me.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:47 PM

Don't know if anyone still needs these but I found 2 from a 2010 fusion h7 headlights. They look to be the same as ours. Anyone in need PM me and I'll send them out to ya.

Pooly

Old 01-03-2011, 11:33 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't anyone use duct tape any more??