Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

led license plate lights order

Old 12-10-2010, 08:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: led license plate lights order

I just received my order from "factorykiss" in China, and was shipped the wrong size bulb. I have emailed them advising that what I received was 33mm instead of 36mm.
The order was supposed to be for the rear license bulbs. I'll see how they resolve this. Worst case scenario is that I'll be out $9.90. I advised them that I will not give them a favorable feedback on eBay, unless It is resolved. I'll report back with their reply. Stay tuned

Old 12-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IBLUBYU
I just received my order from "factorykiss" in China, and was shipped the wrong size bulb. I have emailed them advising that what I received was 33mm instead of 36mm.
The order was supposed to be for the rear license bulbs. I'll see how they resolve this. Worst case scenario is that I'll be out $9.90. I advised them that I will not give them a favorable feedback on eBay, unless It is resolved. I'll report back with their reply. Stay tuned
While I am sure you want the correct bulbs, upon taking the lenses out, you will find a 33mm will work as well, but it will not 'seat' in the lenses properly, up to you to test and see if it meets your standards, but I had a few festoon style bulbs that were a few mm off and I just slightly modified the metal contacts and no issue. Since the metal contacts on the rear plate just snap the bulb in place, you should have no issues with a smaller bulb.

Be careful, the last 3 XFs I have done plate bulbs on have had severely degraded lenses to the point where when I unscrewed the lense, they would practically fall apart. Since they are so discolored, I replaced them anyway, and boy, what a difference $25 new lenses make

Good luck Howard, give me a shout if you run into any issues.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
While I am sure you want the correct bulbs, upon taking the lenses out, you will find a 33mm will work as well, but it will not 'seat' in the lenses properly, up to you to test and see if it meets your standards, but I had a few festoon style bulbs that were a few mm off and I just slightly modified the metal contacts and no issue. Since the metal contacts on the rear plate just snap the bulb in place, you should have no issues with a smaller bulb.

Be careful, the last 3 XFs I have done plate bulbs on have had severely degraded lenses to the point where when I unscrewed the lense, they would practically fall apart. Since they are so discolored, I replaced them anyway, and boy, what a difference $25 new lenses make

Good luck Howard, give me a shout if you run into any issues.
Hey John .... After reading your post, I wrestled my xFire around (which was in storage) to get to the trunk. I remembered the lenses looking cracked when I put the car away, and actually had planned on trying to make new lenses over the winter. In fact I requested if someone would please measure their lenses for me, in a recent post, so I could try to make replacements. It ended up with Onehundred80 making a detailed Measurement (actually to the 1000th) LOL. What a guy! Anyway, I took the lenses off my xFire, and eventho they are cracked, they didn't fall in pieces. I am going to try to repair/re-inforce them with a clear epoxy. I did a search for just lenses on the internet, in case I wanted to buy them and found a site called MercedesComplete.com that has the lenses only, for $9.95 each. Which I will be ordering anyway.
So either way, once I see what the bulb supplier is going to do, I'll try the 33mm like you suggest, and re-install with the restored old lenses, and have the new lenses for future inventory. Thanx for your input .....

Old 12-10-2010, 05:13 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey John .... After reading your post, I wrestled my xFire around (which was in storage) to get to the trunk. I remembered the lenses looking cracked when I put the car away, and actually had planned on trying to make new lenses over the winter. In fact I requested if someone would please measure their lenses for me, in a recent post, so I could try to make replacements. It ended up with Onehundred80 making a detailed Measurement (actually to the 1000th) LOL. What a guy! Anyway, I took the lenses off my xFire, and eventho they are cracked, they didn't fall in pieces. I am going to try to repair/re-inforce them with a clear epoxy. I did a search for just lenses on the internet, in case I wanted to buy them and found a site called MercedesComplete.com that has the lenses only, for $9.95 each. Which I will be ordering anyway.
So either way, once I see what the bulb supplier is going to do, I'll try the 33mm like you suggest, and re-install with the restored old lenses, and have the new lenses for future inventory. Thanx for your input .....
Do you have a part number as mine are also cracked and need replaced?

Old 12-10-2010, 07:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed the bulbs seemed shorter than stock and thought the same, that they messed up. But they snapped in just fine. I gave them 5 star feedback cause they are on top of replacing my bad bulb.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:22 AM

Hey John .... So either way, once I see what the bulb supplier is going to do, I'll try the 33mm like you suggest, and re-install with the restored old lenses, and have the new lenses for future inventory. Thanx for your input .....
Glad to be of help.

Originally Posted by rfors777
Do you have a part number as mine are also cracked and need replaced?
Howard, can you help him out? If not, I can dig up the box at home in the garage for you....

Old 12-13-2010, 08:47 AM

Let us know the part number. I need to buy a pair.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:21 AM

I contacted MercedesComplete.com thru their website, and tried to order the lenses, part # 2303200166 and was told that they only had 1 left and that would be it (no more)!!! I have taken my old ones off the car and refurbished them so they are useable. I notified rfors777 by PM that if he wanted the 1 that was left he could have it. The lens cost is $9.35 and shipping is about $8.50. He declined. So they still have 1 left.....First come first served if you want it !!!!

BUT, I also went to a Mercedes dealer and asked the parts guy if he has the lens with a part # 2303200166, and he told me that it could be ordered for $19.95, which is only a couple of bucks more. Evidently the lenses are the same as the 2005 MB CLK 500 coupe (tell them that) with the same part Number. I'll probably go that route.

On another note .... I tried the 33mm canbus bulbs and they will be satisfactory once installed. I say that because 1 of them that I received didn't light. I tried switching them around , but still didn't work. I have notified the supplier (factorykiss in China) and waiting to hear for them. They did respond to my first complaint, and I'm sure they take care of it. I still have the satisfactory "favorable feedback" hanging over their heads .......

I will say that they should be great. The light from the "white" is actually light blue and is bright. they do have other colors if that is your style.

EDIT: I feel these lenses "degrade and crack" because when changing a bulb and re-installing the lense, the tendency is to tighten the screws too much. The bulbs that were in mine were manufactured by "Phillips" and my guess is that they were not OEM, and the previous owner tightened too much and cracked the lenses. So don't over tighten them, just snug enuff .

Last edited by IBLUBYU; 12-13-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:19 AM

EDIT: I feel these lenses "degrade and crack" because when changing a bulb and re-installing the lense, the tendency is to tighten the screws too much.
Mine were not damaged at all because of overtightening, the actual material had broken down enough that they literally fell apart, and not just at the screw holes. Not to mention the plastic had yellowed/grayed and was VERY brittle, one more winter and they would fallen off the car....

Old 12-13-2010, 11:22 AM

Mine were not damaged at all because of overtightening, the actual material had broken down enough that they literally fell apart, and not just at the screw holes. Not to mention the plastic had yellowed/grayed and was VERY brittle, one more winter and they would fallen off the car....
Hmmm .... I did notice that the lenses sit on a rubber seal that does not allow the lens to be tightened down completely to the housing. There probably is a 16th of an inch between the lens and housing. My thought is that if the screws are even a little overtightened this may cause enuff stress on the lens to precipitate the disintegration. Just sayin .....
As far as the yellow/graying out and possible disintegration, there are probably a few factors that cause this. Amongst them is UV degradation from the sun, eventho the sun doesn't shine directly on them, just reflection from the bumper, AND the concrete/asphalt the car is parked on while parked in the sun. Also, heat from the bulbs over time could change how the plastic molecules line up! Our impure atmosphere and its contaminents probably work on them, if we live in an area that has high levels. Under ideal conditions, these lenses should remain clear for a long long time. But "chit" happens ...... There's not much we can do about where we park, where we live, etc., but we can control how tight the lenses are replaced. Just my opinions ....

Old 12-13-2010, 03:02 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are mine. Took these during the day, but at night they are way brighter. I have load resistors for mine.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photo(31) (2).JPG (356.9 KB, 37 views)
Old 12-13-2010, 03:32 PM

these lenses should remain clear for a long long time. But "chit" happens ......
Agreed, but so should the headlights and I rarely see a pair that do not have the dreaded 'haze'

Old 12-16-2010, 06:07 PM
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by green-ghost
WAIT UP. ok after about 10 mins my light out indicator was flashing on about one minute then go off for about 15 seconds. At lunch, I turned the lights on and waited for the dash light to go on. About 2 minutes, the canbus light (R/R) went out and the dash light came on. Im contacting the seller to see about the replacement cause I think its getting hot then going out.

The eyebrow light is a type 194, they are also sold by factorykiss

2x Car CAN-BUS Bulbs 36mm 2-SMD LED Festoon Light White - eBay (item 130429868726 end time Dec-08-10 00:32:42 PST)
Just received my bulbs today......yes, took 3 weeks to get here and they don't light up. Sent off an e-mail to Gary @ Factory Kiss and also a note via E-bay. I also let him know that they are 2mm shorter than stated. Hopefully, there'll be a happy ending to this.

Last edited by bluecoupe; 12-16-2010 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:43 PM

I found there was a certain way they had to go in to light (wierd huh) I just pulled them out and spun them around they were fine. Im still waiting for my replacements, Gary BTW is actually a chick named Li she'll return your email questions pretty quick.

I still think its a good product for the price, just kinda hit or miss when dealing with China...guess its something USA folks should get use to

Old 12-16-2010, 06:53 PM

Thanks, I just went out to the garage and swapped them, spun them......still no love. I then ran leads from battery and still won't light! I'll wait to hear what Li has to say.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:48 PM

I'm waiting for a bulb replacement for one that didn't work. Gary(Li) said "no problem, I'll replace it if you agree to pay $4.99 for the shipping". I told them that the bulb problem was their problem, and asked if this was the usual way the companies in China did things. Their "problem", their shipping expense..... not mine. I still haven't given them a feedback yet, and so advised them that if they wanted a "favorable" feedback, it would be when I get my working replacements. Gary (Li) then almost made me promise to give them a favorable feedback then. I told them that as soon as our business was "finished" that could happen, it all depended on their response. If you have too, just threaten an unfavorable feedback.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:25 AM

Come on guys, quit using this ebay ****. I have posted so many times about SuperbrightLEDs.com and still love using them, installed nearly every bulb in the new car with an LED, and none were bad or the wrong size, not to mention that what you are paying for a 2 SMD LED, I have been buying 3 SMD LEDs for 20% less

Check them out, and a 1 year warranty on bulbs, no hassle.

Super Bright LEDs ? Festoon Light Bulbs

I bought the 3710-xHP3 for 7.99 in cool white

Old 12-17-2010, 11:27 AM

Come on guys, quit using this ebay ****. I have posted so many times about SuperbrightLEDs.com and still love using them, installed nearly every bulb in the new car with an LED, and none were bad or the wrong size, not to mention that what you are paying for a 2 SMD LED, I have been buying 3 SMD LEDs for 20% less

Thanx for the tip John .... I'll use them in the future ..... I went on the eBay site by watching a thread that someone had posted. Should have known ..... but always learning. In the meantime if nothing happens from my source in correcting my situation, all I'm out is $9.99.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:19 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Boiler, I bought mine from autoilluminations and ran some load resistors and everything worked. I too, have LED's installed all around the car.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:05 PM

Thanks John...........I'm still learning even at my advanced years!

Quick Reply: led license plate lights order