Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Headlight problems

Old 10-11-2010, 01:31 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Headlight problems

Originally Posted by sonoronos
This isn't corrosion as much as it's the disintegration of the hardcoat applied to the lexan/polycarbonate lens cover.

The headlight lens covers wouldn't last a month without the hardcoat due to its low hardness. Just like eyeglasses made of the same material, the manufacturer coats the plastic surface with a chemical coating (like a clearcoat) designed to be much harder than the plastic, yet clear as glass.

The unfortunate thing is that the hardcoat applied to earlier XF's obviously had some sort of QC issue. Later XF's (2006/2007's) have much more reliable coatings.

Wet sanding/polishing is very easy to do. But make sure you do not scratch your paint while you work on your lenses. Mask the car parts off very carefully before doing this.
Thank you very much. I was wondering about the hardcoat. I couldn't determine from anyone if there is indeed a coating of some kind on the lenses. I found one article online talking about how UV damage is what corrodes the hardcoat much like clearcoat can start coming off due to damage.

We are going to go with the wet sanding and proper grits, etc. Like I mentioned before, I have an old nasty looking headlight assembly to practice on.

Thank you very much!

Old 10-11-2010, 08:25 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Cissy
Maxichon
Did you do the headlight lenses yourself? Can you tell me how? In PM if you'd rather.

I put my spare passenger side headlight assembly back on as it doesn't have nearly the UV damage as the one I took pictures of. So, I have polished that one in hopes from keeping the damage from getting worse.

We have started on the bad headlight lens (the whole assembly is on the bench.. So far, the roughness is gone, but not even close to removing the UV damage.

Would you mind terribly giving a step by step if you've done these yourself? It would be so appreciated. Thanks!
Cissy. you're one of my favorites-I'd be glad to help.

1. I would remove the headlamp assembly. You know how.
2. Determine the highest grit you can use to cut the remaining hard coat off. I have had to go as high as 400 to make a dent. And I did this "dry". Just go slow so you don't get the surface too warm.
3. Use this grit to make the entire surface a uniform "Milk Jug" white. As you sand, you'll see the horizontal line of the damage move down the face of the lens. Follow with 600.
4. At this point, you can use the 3M kit and instructions.

Getting through the remaining hard coat and making a uniform surface is the key to success with this job. And it is hard.

I had to use this "extreme" sanding to repair my neighbors 2005 MB E320 headlights (all 4 of them!) and it worked great. This is an always-garaged true MB car too. So we are not alone!

Old 10-11-2010, 11:30 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Cissy. you're one of my favorites-I'd be glad to help.

1. I would remove the headlamp assembly. You know how.
2. Determine the highest grit you can use to cut the remaining hard coat off. I have had to go as high as 400 to make a dent. And I did this "dry". Just go slow so you don't get the surface too warm.
3. Use this grit to make the entire surface a uniform "Milk Jug" white. As you sand, you'll see the horizontal line of the damage move down the face of the lens. Follow with 600.
4. At this point, you can use the 3M kit and instructions.

Getting through the remaining hard coat and making a uniform surface is the key to success with this job. And it is hard.

I had to use this "extreme" sanding to repair my neighbors 2005 MB E320 headlights (all 4 of them!) and it worked great. This is an always-garaged true MB car too. So we are not alone!
Thank you Max! I remember you helping with the exhaust system we replaced. Remember? LOL.

Your instructions are perfect. Update: With your "practice" lens, we used the very very very fine sandpaper we had on hand. Don't laugh, it wsa ...ahem....2000 LOL. BUT with a ton of elbow grease, we actually made a clear spot. So, by getting the proper sand paper grit, we will tackle it again per your instructions.

I am so encouraged by your comments, Max. I am encouraged by everone's comments and willingness to answer my post. I will keep ya updated as we progress with this nasty removal of hard coat.

Thanks SO MUCH!!....
((((Max)))))

P.S. BTW, my Miata headlight assembly was GLASS.....hence no fog/haze/hardcoat peeling. Duhhhh....I'm getting old LOL.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:56 AM
Forum Regular

Max, one more question, please.

Which 3M kit would I get? I went online, but I really can't determine which kit to get. Would I need the complete restoration kit? If I am doing most of the work by hand as you did, wouldn't I just need 3M plastic lens kit?

What do you use?
Thank you

Old 10-11-2010, 12:44 PM

Max, one more question, please.

Which 3M kit would I get? I went online, but I really can't determine which kit to get. Would I need the complete restoration kit? If I am doing most of the work by hand as you did, wouldn't I just need 3M plastic lens kit?

What do you use?
Thank you
I would buy the complete 3M Restoration Kit ~ $20 at Walmart. It comes with a very nice power drill attachment and sanding discs to go with it. And the final 3000 Trizact pad is foam-backed and does a perfect job of prepping for the polishing (final) step.

It includes P500 pads, P800 pads, P3000 Trizact Pads and a foam buffing pad for the polish.

It's a Velcro system, but be careful pulling the used pads off-you can damage the foam on the tool easily if you don't!.

Since I got so good at this-I bought boxes (50) of the discs at the 3M e-store. I've fixed quite a few now...

Old 10-11-2010, 01:06 PM
Forum Regular

I would buy the complete 3M Restoration Kit ~ $20 at Walmart. It comes with a very nice power drill attachment and sanding discs to go with it. And the final 3000 Trizact pad is foam-backed and does a perfect job of prepping for the polishing (final) step.

It includes P500 pads, P800 pads, P3000 Trizact Pads and a foam buffing pad for the polish.

It's a Velcro system, but be careful pulling the used pads off-you can damage the foam on the tool easily if you don't!.

Since I got so good at this-I bought boxes (50) of the discs at the 3M e-store. I've fixed quite a few now...
Max, you sound so polished <groan> LOL. Thank you so much. Looks like a trip to Walmart today! I just hope they have it in stock.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:49 PM

Let us know how it works for you!

Old 10-11-2010, 03:04 PM
Forum Regular

Got the kit from Walmart. I notice the 3M Rubbing Compouond is only 1 oz. I have 3 head lights to do. I want to 3M's site and I see the Perfedt It Rubbing Compound. Is that the right stuff? The compound in the kit just says 3M Rubbing Compound.....not "Perfect It".

Sorry for all the questions, but I need to get the right stuff. I want to order more compound online.

Thanks, Max!!

Old 10-11-2010, 03:48 PM

Got the kit from Walmart. I notice the 3M Rubbing Compouond is only 1 oz. I have 3 head lights to do. I want to 3M's site and I see the Perfedt It Rubbing Compound. Is that the right stuff? The compound in the kit just says 3M Rubbing Compound.....not "Perfect It".

Sorry for all the questions, but I need to get the right stuff. I want to order more compound online.

Thanks, Max!!
As for the polish (rubbing compound) I use Meguiar's Plast-x. That you can get at any Auto parts store. And it works as good if not better.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:01 PM
Forum Regular

As for the polish (rubbing compound) I use Meguiar's Plast-x. That you can get at any Auto parts store. And it works as good if not better.
Great! Thanks!

Old 10-11-2010, 07:22 PM
Forum Regular

Tis me again.
Ok, got it completed and I am AMAZED. If you look at the picture I took before, here is the after. (Before up a few posts)

The lens is perfectly clear! The camera/lighting makes it look not completely clear, but believe me, it is!! I am so grateful to Max and rest of you fine people. You made things so simple. If I had known about this hardcoat and that it can be removed, we could have done this a long time ago. All it cost was 20 bucks for the kit. How awesome is that?

(((((((((((Max))))))))))) I owe you!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Light1.jpg (137.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg
Light 2.jpg (96.4 KB, 21 views)
Old 10-11-2010, 07:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Now cover it with laminate

Old 10-11-2010, 08:01 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by IBLUBYU
I am truly thinking about that. The one we did is an extra one that we wanted to test it out. It will be wrapped in a towel and put away. But when we do the headlights that are now on my Crossfire, I just might go ahead with that. I sw them online. Not a bad price for a pair.

Thanks!

Old 10-11-2010, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by IBLUBYU
Cissy, after all of this work, it would be a shame not to cover them! I did the Lamin-x too. Looks great and no further issues.

By the way-great work!

Now, if everyone that has the same issues would only read this thread... It is pretty easy, is it not?

And one more question-did the "spare" look as bad as the ones that are in the 1st pictures?

Last edited by maxcichon; 10-11-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:51 PM
Forum Regular

Yep, going to get them. You recommend the clear? I am thinking clear (no pun intended )

It was so much easier than I would have expected, that's for damn sure. Unbelievable. All this time I've been driving around with crap on my lights. BTW, no need for eyelids anymore. I original thought they might cover and stop the errosion....but that was before I knew it was hardcoating being damaged.

I can't wait to do the two assemblies that are on my car. My other 1/2 has a dentist appointment tomorrow. After that, I doubt he'll want to do them.....but sometime this week, they'll be done. He's got more strength than I do for sanding, etc.

Thanks again, Max. Gonna get those Lamin-X deals
Much obliged (I always wanted to say that

**Cissy

Last edited by Cissy; 10-11-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:54 PM

Yep, going to get them. You recommend the clear? I am thinking clear (no pun intended )

It was so much easier than I would have expected, that's for damn sure. Unbelievable. All this time I've been driving around with crap on my lights. BTW, no need for eyelids anymore. I original thought they might cover and stop the errosion....but that was before I knew it was hardcoating being damaged.

I can't wait to do the two assemblies that are on my car. My other 1/2 has a dentist appointment tomorrow. After that, I doubt he'll want to do them.....but sometime this week, they'll be done. He's got more strength than I do for sanding, etc.

Thanks again, Max. Gonna get those Lamin-X deals
Much obliged (I always wanted to say that

**Cissy
Are the ones on the car now as bad/better/worse as the one you fixed?

Old 10-11-2010, 08:58 PM
Forum Regular

The driver side one is as bad as the one we fixed, yes. The one we did today is a passenger side headlight BUT it has a broken tab so we'd rather not put it in the car. It was a learning process so we can have the confidence to do the two I have on there now.

The passenger side one on the car now isn't nearly as bad, but of course, we want to remove ALL of the hardcoat on that one too.

See, when the corrosion started on my original pair, I bought some used ones from Ebay that were pretty good shape! i kept the one we cleaned today, but for some reason back then, we tossed the driver's side original headlight assembly.

When I dug out the original, I noticed it wasn't nearly as bad as the one we took out to practice on. So, we put the original back on the car and kept out the broken tab one to practice on. The driver's side one that's in the car now is baaaaaaaad. Well, the same as the spare we cleaned up.

I know that's about as clear as mud, eh? ;

Last edited by Cissy; 10-11-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:08 PM
Forum Regular

Are the ones on the car now as bad/better/worse as the one you fixed?
I forgot to answer this LOL

The passenger side one is better than the one we fixed but only because the errosion has only come down a little ways.

The driver's side one is as bad.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:15 PM

Well, please post photos when you're finished? Please?

Old 10-11-2010, 09:35 PM
Forum Regular

Well, please post photos when you're finished? Please?
You won't have to ask twice. No problem
I ordered those laminates from Lamin-X. They'll be here before we even finish the first headlight LOL.

Quick Reply: Headlight problems