Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Front Plate Bracket

Old 09-17-2010, 02:24 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Plate Bracket

Hi guys

California, unfortunately, is cracking down for lack of front license plate. For 17 years with my Miata, I didn't have it plate. It would have runined the look of my sports car.

Same here with the Crossfire. I absolutely hate that front plate. But alas, it's not worth a ticket. Soooooooooo

Do I have to get a specialized bracket from the dealer or will a generic at an auto store work? ( I know I have to drill holes in my front bumper and that just kills me). If a generic bracket is ok, where would I find one? An auto parts store?

Thanks in advance, ladies and gents

Old 09-17-2010, 02:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Front Plate Bracket

Someone here in Chicago rigged up a bracket that didn't require them to drill holes in the bumper. I'm sure they or someone here who knows them will chime in.

Buying the part from the dealer isn't a bad option. That's where I got mine, but I made the dealer pay for it as it SHOULD come with the car in a state where it is required (like it is here). I didn't mount it, I just keep it in the trunk with the idea that if I ever get pulled over for it, I will tell the cop I just finally got it from the dealer today and am going to install it when I get home. That should work at least once.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:50 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks, John! But, one problem. When I purchased my vehicle in 2005 (new), I signed a waiver letting the dealer NOT drilll holes in my front bumper, thus agreeing to no bracket.

As I think back on that, it surprises me that the option would be available when it's the law to have that ugly front bumper.

Can I get this anywhere else besides the dealer? I shiver just walking into places like that LOL.

Thanks!

Old 09-17-2010, 03:00 PM
Forum Regular
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I used two shelving bracing brkts, scavenged from some old shelves, bent them to bolt to the horn brkts, and protrude out thro' the lower grills. Means trimming the grills slightly, but better than drilling holes in the bumper. (pics in the thread below)

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...t-grilles.html

Old 09-17-2010, 03:20 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks, Mag! Something to consider. Not sure about modifying the grille though

Old 09-17-2010, 03:22 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Joliet John
Someone here in Chicago rigged up a bracket that didn't require them to drill holes in the bumper. I'm sure they or someone here who knows them will chime in.
Hi John
Yep, I found that post dated back in 2007. I love that idea. They didn't say where they got the bracket or what kind. I'll keep looking. Maybe the poster from 2007 will reply. I'll have to look it up again.

Thanks!

Last edited by Cissy; 09-17-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:58 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Cissy, sorry to hear the LEO's are cracking down on us "Hardened Criminals" who believe in a Front Tag Optional Laws should be inacted Nationwide.
I never could figure out why Law Enforcement Organazations in some states are perfectly capable of apprehending "evil doers" with only one plate on the back. But here in Ohio, our "Overly trained, highly feared, nationally hated State Troopers" just don't feel they can adequately do their job with just one plate. (too bad they don't have more self confidence).
Of course, a better Radar signature has nothing to do with it, even though everywhere you go in Ohio you see signs that say "Target Enforcement".
It's so reassuring to know that men & women who carry guns (radar and otherwise) consider everybody driving down the road a target.
Anyway, here's one of the best front brackets I've seen here on the forum.
Message - CrossfireForum.org Gallery
Since you once had a Miata, you may still have your old bracket laying around somewhere.
I've got my front plate mounted on my Miata bracket right now, and it's safely stored under my rear hatch for when I eventually get stopped by one of Ohio's best.
I'm sure Richard can set you right up.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:39 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Hi Cissy, sorry to hear the LEO's are cracking down on us "Hardened Criminals" who believe in a Front Tag Optional Laws should be inacted Nationwide.
I never could figure out why Law Enforcement Organazations in some states are perfectly capable of apprehending "evil doers" with only one plate on the back. But here in Ohio, our "Overly trained, highly feared, nationally hated State Troopers" just don't feel they can adequately do their job with just one plate. (too bad they don't have more self confidence).
Of course, a better Radar signature has nothing to do with it, even though everywhere you go in Ohio you see signs that say "Target Enforcement".
It's so reassuring to know that men & women who carry guns (radar and otherwise) consider everybody driving down the road a target.
Anyway, here's one of the best front brackets I've seen here on the forum.
Message - CrossfireForum.org Gallery
Since you once had a Miata, you may still have your old bracket laying around somewhere.
I've got my front plate mounted on my Miata bracket right now, and it's safely stored under my rear hatch for when I eventually get stopped by one of Ohio's best.
I'm sure Richard can set you right up.
Hey MIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!how you doing? I keep forgetting about this forum because I rarely have a problem...almost rarely

That is a good idea, the picture you linked me too. But, it's finding one. I may still have the Miata bracket, but I think I left it in the trunk when I sold it. I want to avoid drilling at all costs (except a ticket) if I can.

I think maybe ****...oops, I mean Richard can fix me up.. GEEZE, his name is D**k, but I'm not allowed to type it. NO ONE calls him Richard hahaha

Old 09-17-2010, 06:52 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good to see you posting again, we all miss your smiley face......posts. But glad to hear you're having such good luck with your car that you don't "need" us anymore. Don't worry, NONE of us take it personal.
Just so you know, we'll always be here for ya.
For the Miata plate bracket, search for an "Import" salvage yard in your area, or get on a Miata Forum, and I bet somebody there will probably love to help ya. (Just don't tell them what you're going to put it on).
Is Richard putting a fr.plate on his Vette too? That's just wrong.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:54 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Good to see you posting again, we all miss your smiley face......posts. But glad to hear you're having such good luck with your car that you don't "need" us anymore. Don't worry, NONE of us take it personal.
Just so you know, we'll always be here for ya.
For the Miata plate bracket, search for an "Import" salvage yard in your area, or get on a Miata Forum, and I bet somebody there will probably love to help ya. (Just don't tell them what you're going to put it on).
Is Richard putting a fr.plate on his Vette too? That's just wrong.
ACK! R U kidding!! ha ha......no front plate on that puppy. No WAY...

Old 09-17-2010, 11:09 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 629 Likes on 430 Posts

Here are a few options for displaying your front plate without drilling holes into the face of your front bumper...

Show N Go License Plate Transport
http://www.altecproducts.com/

Skene Design low profile front license plate mount
http://www.skenedesign.com/FPBracket/index.shtml

Hide Away Plate Holder
http://www.swiftmotorsports.com/product_info.php?cPath=2049&products_id=3144&osCsi d=25f28cc734e37f380314b334d3fbeae7

Summit Racing
http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=APR-400EU&dds=1

Old 09-18-2010, 12:24 AM

Interestingly, Altec has something to create a split window look for Vette back glass. I recently mentioned thinking it would be cool if someone made something like this for the XFire.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:12 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by VALKRYDERGUY
Here are a few options for displaying your front plate without drilling holes into the face of your front bumper...

Show N Go License Plate Transport

Skene Design low profile front license plate mount
http://www.skenedesign.com/FPBracket/index.shtml

Hide Away Plate Holder
http://www.swiftmotorsports.com/product_info.php?cPath=2049&products_id=3144&osCsi d=25f28cc734e37f380314b334d3fbeae7

Summit Racing
http://www.summitracing.com/search/?...PR-400EU&dds=1
Why, thank you! I shall be looking at all those links to get some ideas. Thanks, guy!

Old 09-18-2010, 01:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can probably get away with mounting the plate to the lower grilles using through bolts with washers behind the grille. You can use brass tubing or something as a spacer to keep the plate rigid.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by Cissy
Thanks, John! But, one problem. When I purchased my vehicle in 2005 (new), I signed a waiver letting the dealer NOT drilll holes in my front bumper, thus agreeing to no bracket.

As I think back on that, it surprises me that the option would be available when it's the law to have that ugly front bumper.

Can I get this anywhere else besides the dealer? I shiver just walking into places like that LOL.

Thanks!
I finally got my WARNING from an overzealous State Tripper near Ft Hood, no fine. So when I got home I stopped by Auto Zone and picked up a mounting bracket for about $6 and mounted the bracket and plate trough the existng holes. My SRT6 has no holes however, so I bought two packages of self adhesive hook and pile (velcro) each package having 3 sets of tape about 1 1/2 X 3". I bent the plate over my knee to fit the bumper and stuck the tapes to the back of the plate. I then lined the plate up where I wanted it and stuck it to the bumper. No signs of coming loose yet. If it disappears, well I'll be darned.

John P
FTroopChief

Old 09-18-2010, 02:16 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by FTroopChief
I finally got my WARNING from an overzealous State Tripper near Ft Hood, no fine. So when I got home I stopped by Auto Zone and picked up a mounting bracket for about $6 and mounted the bracket and plate trough the existng holes. My SRT6 has no holes however, so I bought two packages of self adhesive hook and pile (velcro) each package having 3 sets of tape about 1 1/2 X 3". I bent the plate over my knee to fit the bumper and stuck the tapes to the back of the plate. I then lined the plate up where I wanted it and stuck it to the bumper. No signs of coming loose yet. If it disappears, well I'll be darned.

John P
FTroopChief
LOL, great story....love it

Old 04-29-2011, 06:02 PM

Well I lasted a month with no front plate until I got specifically pulled over and a $110 ticket for not having it. Cop was not interested in my "just fell off this morning excuse".

I'm not too interested in paying lots of money for some bent metal or drilling holes in my bumper and I hate the look of a ugly front plate with no real location made for it from the factory.

So here are some pics of my front plate for the cost of a $10 smoked plastic cover, 50 cents of silicone and some free metal I grabbed from the jobsite I was on the day I got pulled over. The metal is the galvanized stuff they use to put HVAC ducts together.

I'll post a short tutorial with picks in case it helps anyone else that wants to do it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SAM_0089.JPG (1.30 MB, 14 views)
SAM_0088.JPG (1.14 MB, 26 views)
SAM_0087.JPG (1.36 MB, 14 views)
Old 04-29-2011, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by stevedask
Well I lasted a month with no front plate until I got specifically pulled over and a $110 ticket for not having it. Cop was not interested in my "just fell off this morning excuse".

I'm not too interested in paying lots of money for some bent metal or drilling holes in my bumper and I hate the look of a ugly front plate with no real location made for it from the factory.

So here are some pics of my front plate for the cost of a $10 smoked plastic cover, 50 cents of silicone and some free metal I grabbed from the jobsite I was on the day I got pulled over. The metal is the galvanized stuff they use to put HVAC ducts together.

I'll post a short tutorial with picks in case it helps anyone else that wants to do it.
So first I took the smoked plastic cover and cut a few notches with a hack saw where I wanted it to bend. Then grabbed the heat gun and heated it until it was plyable and I bent it to the shape I wanted to make it lower profile and not stick up into the botttom grill section.

Attached Images
Old 04-29-2011, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by stevedask
So first I took the smoked plastic cover and cut a few notches with a hack saw where I wanted it to bend. Then grabbed the heat gun and heated it until it was plyable and I bent it to the shape I wanted to make it lower profile and not stick up into the botttom grill section.
Then I cut & bent the plate and siliconed it into the plastic holder (silicone not shown) making sure to seal it so no water or crap gets in there and settles into the bottom eliminating a mold possibility.

Attached Images
Old 04-29-2011, 06:37 PM

In Illinois, you'd get busted for the smoked plastic cover (or any cover - even a clear one). Had a friend get pulled over in his Escalade for no front plate, then he got a second ticket for having a clear cover on his rear plate.

Quick Reply: Front Plate Bracket