Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

New fender strakes

Old 10-01-2010, 06:48 PM
www.CustomCrossfire.com
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: New fender strakes

and a couple more... Check out the other pics in the last post on page 7

Last edited by HyprLtH20; 10-01-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:51 PM
www.CustomCrossfire.com

Again this is only spray paint on them so this is not the finish you will receive. They will be professionally painted.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:18 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would like a set but I have a suggestion. I don't want to be picky, even though it is a stick on mod, I think it should look like it is functional. For example based on pictures you posted of the SLR of which I don't know if the vents are functional, but the vents fit within the lines and look like they can close without being blocked. The vents on the Crossfire does not seem to fit within the inner lines and would not close if they were functional. But what do I know. Maybe you can photo shop to fit.

Last edited by Bill F; 10-01-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:35 PM
www.CustomCrossfire.com

If i made them fit just the inner lines then it would no longer look right. The way i have them now the tip of each gill starts at the outer line and ends at the inner line. This way it cuts back in and appears more like it is part of the fender and not just stuck to it.

But yes I do believe that the SLR vents are functional. I do not think that they open and close though???

Again, keep in mind that our fenders are built completely different and it would be impossible to build a stick on part that will look just like the SLR's. The design i have now is as close I can get to the SLR look and still able to look like it belongs on a crossfire

Last edited by HyprLtH20; 10-01-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:34 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the off-topic post but was that car (or wheels) for sale within the last 6-8 months?

Recall seeing pics of that car before.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:01 PM
www.CustomCrossfire.com

yes, I was trying to sell the wheels a while back.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:36 PM
www.CustomCrossfire.com

I am happy with the fitment and look of the new strakes, so if there is nothing else noticed which needs to be corrected i am going to cast the mold, start production and offically start taking orders for the first batch. I have set up to have them painted on friday october 8th. So the first batch will be ready to ship on monday october 11th. To be included in the first batch you must be paid in full by tuesday october 5th. PM me to place an order, please include you zip code for shipping quotes. All orders must be paid via paypal.

Last edited by HyprLtH20; 10-02-2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:04 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Just a quick question----- the top edge of the two "gills" appear to be dangerously close to the paint on the fender. Is there any chance of this rubbing against the paint??

Old 10-02-2010, 06:45 PM
www.CustomCrossfire.com

Originally Posted by SparkieSRT6
Just a quick question----- the top edge of the two "gills" appear to be dangerously close to the paint on the fender. Is there any chance of this rubbing against the paint??
It is very close yes. That was the point... To try to make it look as though it is part of the fender itself. Rubbing or scraching will not be a problem whatsoever. The strakes are mounted firmly to the fender and will not be allowed to move or vibrate.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:15 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

can you take a picture straight down on the gills

Old 10-03-2010, 01:21 AM
Forum Regular

I haven't ever had a reason to take off the stock fender strakes ... what is the removal (and new installation) process?

Old 10-03-2010, 02:12 AM
www.CustomCrossfire.com

Originally Posted by billvp
I haven't ever had a reason to take off the stock fender strakes ... what is the removal (and new installation) process?
Its very simple. It can be done with out taking the wheel off with a little extra effort but it is much easier if the wheel is off.

You must unscrew the screws and nuts holding up the plastic wheel well liner, remove liner, reach your hand back behind the fender where the strakes are located and compress the pins holding the strakes to the fender (the pins look like a capital "A"- you must compress the "A" enough to push it through the mounting holes in the fender). I did this by pushing a 10mm(i think? but could be another size) socket over the pins to compress them more easily. There are 3 pins located at about the center of each horizontal strake. The strakes are also held to the fender with adhesive tape. I used a thin flathead screw driver with electrical tape on the tip to pry up the strakes from the fender while compressing each pin on the backside.

Look up some pictures of the strakes in the gallery so you know what you are doing before you get under there and it will only take you a few minutes to get them off.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:34 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It may just be me, but I think it would look better if the gills were independent of each other. Right now it is all one piece, which is fine, but the area between the two gills in the middle looks like it should be opened up.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:04 PM
www.CustomCrossfire.com

Originally Posted by rfors777
It may just be me, but I think it would look better if the gills were independent of each other. Right now it is all one piece, which is fine, but the area between the two gills in the middle looks like it should be opened up.

A design such as that would mean multiple pieces per unit, driving up production costs tremendously which will then drive up the cost for you guys. A unit like that would cost several hundred dollars which loses me most of my customers. I did take that into consideration during the building process and decided on a more simple design.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:17 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Suggestion, if the color of the gills is not black, that area can be painted black to look like it is separated.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:39 PM
www.CustomCrossfire.com

Originally Posted by Bill F
Suggestion, if the color of the gills is not black, that area can be painted black to look like it is separated.

Are you referring to the underside of the gills?

Old 10-03-2010, 02:52 PM

I believe he is referring to the space between the gills, so that it looks like empty space between the gills

Old 10-03-2010, 03:26 PM
www.CustomCrossfire.com

Originally Posted by Voyager
I believe he is referring to the space between the gills, so that it looks like empty space between the gills
Heres a pic.. are you referring to the area I highlighted in red?

Old 10-03-2010, 03:59 PM

yes sir I believe that is what he is talking about, i'm not trying to put words in his mouth but that’s what I got from it

Old 10-03-2010, 04:17 PM
www.CustomCrossfire.com

Originally Posted by Voyager
yes sir I believe that is what he is talking about, i'm not trying to put words in his mouth but that’s what I got from it
Ok well if that is what he is talking about then yes, Painting that black would not be a problem. If no one disapproves I will have them all done this way. I think that is a good way to make them appear a little more functional

Quick Reply: New fender strakes