Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

New fender strakes

Old 09-19-2010, 06:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: New fender strakes

Has anyone actually committed to this product with a money deposit? To throw up the Dan name is just wrong. No wonder no one wants to make parts for these cars. If they cant get them produced in 2 weeks people start to get skeptical. What I find funny is that the ones who try to start **** aren't even on the list. Seriously, chill out. Why would someone want to produce a product from design to finished product if they're going to have to go through all this stress? Especially offering these products at affordable prices.

Rant done

Old 09-19-2010, 08:06 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Thirteendog
Has anyone actually committed to this product with a money deposit? To throw up the Dan name is just wrong. No wonder no one wants to make parts for these cars. If they cant get them produced in 2 weeks people start to get skeptical. What I find funny is that the ones who try to start **** aren't even on the list. Seriously, chill out. Why would someone want to produce a product from design to finished product if they're going to have to go through all this stress? Especially offering these products at affordable prices.

Rant done
Amen Bro !

Old 09-19-2010, 08:15 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Thirteendog

Rant done
Well said!!!

Old 09-19-2010, 10:01 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by HyprLtH20
Well looking at the way things were expected to go and how they have turned out thus far i really hate to give more deadlines. But Ill just say that I am really hoping to get these done this week. At least sent for paint by friday.
No rush. I think we all agree that quality is more important than a deadline. I appreciate the hoops you're jumping through to get this going.

And, I concur 100% with Nick (thirteendog).

Old 09-20-2010, 12:27 AM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

I just pointed out that this part in ABS is not an easy part to make. The design would call for a quite complex mold and the part would have to be the correct thickness all over. These molds were being made at a rapid rate, too rapid for my liking.
There are some inconsistencies in the story and I just wanted some clarification. Is this a one piece molding or four?
To be a quality part it would have to have sharp edges and sharp corners, they would give the part definition. You can do that in plastic but fiber glass .... not so easily, fiber glass is good for curves and radii not sharp corners except where it is trimmed.
I am all for someone making parts for these cars but we have seen lots of Photo Shopped ideas but no actual parts.
The master part should fit on the car otherwise it's not a master part.

Show me and I will believe.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was more concerned with having the money on hand when they where finished then what ever this has turned into. I for one would rather quality over speed. Once again thanks for working so hard to produce a product for a limited number of cars that exist. I am sure you have spent more time in trying to produce a quality product then you will ever make selling them. Again thanks!!!

Last edited by Never_satisfied; 09-20-2010 at 12:31 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:25 PM
www.CustomCrossfire.com
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just shown a piece done in fiberglass. Basically its not going to cut it.

One of the manufacturers I spoke with suggested casting them from urethane. Im going to try it out and hope for the best. This requires yet another mold, more time, and more $.

I dont want to give anymore deadlines. Lets just take it one day at a time and I will keep you as up to date on the build as possible

Thanks for sticking in there.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:12 PM

I figured the fiberglass would prove cumbersome. Thank you for being so diligent...

Originally Posted by HyprLtH20
I was just shown a piece done in fiberglass. Basically its not going to cut it.

One of the manufacturers I spoke with suggested casting them from urethane. Im going to try it out and hope for the best. This requires yet another mold, more time, and more $.

I dont want to give anymore deadlines. Lets just take it one day at a time and I will keep you as up to date on the build as possible

Thanks for sticking in there.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:34 PM
www.CustomCrossfire.com

Tomorrow I will get some pics taken of the new strakes on my car. So be sure to check back

Old 09-28-2010, 02:33 AM

Any luck with the molds? Really looking forward to seeing them installed.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:48 AM
www.CustomCrossfire.com

Originally Posted by Never_satisfied
Any luck with the molds? Really looking forward to seeing them installed.
I got caught up in some other things this weekend so I was not able to get them on my car to take pics.. Ill try later on today if i have time. I want to get these finished more than anyone trust me! Im driving around with no strakes on my car at all and it looks terrible!

Old 09-28-2010, 03:45 PM
www.CustomCrossfire.com

Just got it up and on the car. I will take more pics later from all angles on and off the car, I just dont have the time to right now.. maybe tomorrow afternoon

Heres a peek at it though...

Old 09-28-2010, 03:53 PM

From what I can see so far, it looks really good!

Old 09-28-2010, 03:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love it! Hopefully the strakes will be more silver but other than that it's perfect in my eyes

Old 09-28-2010, 04:08 PM
www.CustomCrossfire.com

Originally Posted by Voyager
I love it! Hopefully the strakes will be more silver but other than that it's perfect in my eyes

This isnt how it will be painted. (Thats just black spray paint.) They will have the stock silver strakes and the "gills" will be whatever body color you have.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:43 PM
Forum Regular

It is very hard to see in this picture, but it looks like the angle on the top of the gills does not conform to the overall angle of the opening.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by rfors777
It is very hard to see in this picture, but it looks like the angle on the top of the gills does not conform to the overall angle of the opening.
That was my first thought when I looked at the pic, and when I brought it into photoshop and blew it up, it does appear that way. Also the angle of the fins are different on top. Maybe better pictures will clear this up. Other than that, they do look very nice.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:21 PM
www.CustomCrossfire.com

It is just tacked on there with one small piece of double sided tape. I did not want to permanently install them just to take them right back off after the photo was taken. This picture was not meant to show a final product, rather a sneak preview of what to come. People were anxious to see a picture so even though I really didnt have the time I tried to get something up here for you all to see. Tomorrow I will try to get more pics and I guess I will mount it completely as well

Old 09-28-2010, 05:26 PM

Thanks for the clarification. Looking forward to seeing them.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:28 PM
www.CustomCrossfire.com

And the top angles you are referring are correct. (this is very hard to explain but I'll do my best) It appears off because the area where the strake is mounted is "inset", and the angle from the outer part of the fender to the inner part(where the strake mounts) is not a perfect 90deg angle, It is more of a 135deg or so angle which flattens out as it get closer to the door. I hope this makes a little bit of sense

Quick Reply: New fender strakes