Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

New fender strakes

Old 12-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New fender strakes

That's what I had planned to do with mine,it's just now I am so busy with other endeavors. Nice move on yours. I agree with you a little more attention to detail would have helped greatly.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:08 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by Grumps
I took your advice and air brushed them flat black and sanded the back for a better fit. I believe with better planning and a plastic manufacturers help, he could make a product that the fit and finish are precise. He would only need to worry about a design acceptable to the majority of Crossfire owners. His heart is in the right place, but lacks experience in plastic manufacturing. All his other ideas are either going to be extruded or injected, you can hardly pour side skirts. He needs to rethink his business model and try again. Make a prototype and pass it around to members for comments. This would be a good first start.
The cost of an injection mold to make a few dozen skirts would be prohibitive and make the project unfeasible. Extrusion dies make long sections with a uniform cross section so that's a non starter.
Presumably the skirts would be made like the previous catastrophe and the secret is to make them fit without the use of the hardware section at the Home Depot and skilled body shop workers.
Poured urethane parts are OK for pre-production samples but not for production. When we were told of the material that was to be used I mentioned it was wrong.
I worked in the plastics industry design for forty-five years so I do have an inkling about processes.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hypr I hope you continue to work on these strakes because they are a great idea. Onehundred80 appears to have a wealth of knowledge in this area that you need to tap. So far he has told you what you can't do, but I bet if you talk to him long enough and ask enough questions you will come away with some valuable info. Good luck.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Grumps..................that looks kick butt
The day light and the color change turned them into a classy design/style which complements the car.
Now you need to put red running lights under it and those hydraulic shocks so you can jump up and down...
ah ya, maybe next lifetime?
I had wanted to cut actual vent for mine but even I knew it was asking way too much of the hubby.
Hypr now that there's some good feedback and good pictures keep at it despite the insanity of coming back for more.
OK ......back to beating on ya!
Next find some way to make the black parts appear as if they really are vents. Darker on the inside (nearest the car) would be a start, also anyway to add actual mesh or the texture of it where it wouldn't look cheesy? Or should I say so it wouldn't look like it was designed by Mattel. When I say mesh I mean the screen stuff that you see on real side vents. Is there some way to make the final piece have a slot where the screen is slid into at the end of production?
Last this is too much work if your only going to make/market to the Crossfire crowd. Not enough of them. How could your design be adapted to other sports cars? Cars that had larger production numbers.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:42 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rapp's
Grumps..................that looks kick butt
The day light and the color change turned them into a classy design/style which complements the car.
Really? I hope you're not serious. The fit looks like crap IMHO.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:51 PM

I think that they are too big and clumsy looking, they should be subtle.
Like these;
Chrysler Design Institute - Vehicle Gallery
See Crossfire, photo #5

Last edited by onehundred80; 12-21-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:04 PM
Forum Regular

So out of curiousity why hasnt he responded?

Does these strakes just have a poor paint job to them? I'm curious to see them on my car with the proper prepping and all. Anyone want to sell theirs for cheap?

Old 12-09-2010, 09:34 PM

still waiting on my refund...since my strakes never shipped. Any updates hypr???

Old 12-09-2010, 10:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry I'd always thought it was humble.

Last edited by Rapps; 12-10-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by InfernoRedXfire
Really? I hope you're not serious. The fit looks like crap IMHO.
The fit can be corrected. The real question - is the design right??? I see varying opinions from get rid of the strakes including the OEM, to their to big and bulky. I agree with Rapp's and 100/80, this niche market my not allow him enough volume to succeed in plastic aesthetic parts. Performance parts are what gets the blood flowing and loosens the purse strings.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Rapp's
I seriously doubt it's possible to be humble when your sentence includes the word "crap" maybe "IMHO I am full of crap" would of worked.
I suspect he meant 'In My Honest Opinion' in which case he has many who think the same.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I suspect he meant 'In My Honest Opinion' in which case he has many who think the same.

That's the way I took it and I agree. What gets me is giving his lack of responses to this thread, people are still considering his other products sight unseen. Sure people by things via the internet all the time, but most of the time it is with a well known company or through a service like Amazon.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:44 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, I think 180 needs to come out of retirement, pull some strings, and make these out of the right material.... Too bad it didn't work out as well as we all thought it would, or wouldn't depending on the side of the fence you are standing on....but at least he is trying...

Old 12-11-2010, 09:18 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SapGoblin
still waiting on my refund...since my strakes never shipped. Any updates hypr???
I just got my refund

Old 12-11-2010, 11:55 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Side Skirts miss fire was 47 pages long. This miss fire is winding down at only 18 pages So Far!..Squirrel Crusher

Old 12-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

While I can appreciate the posts urging Hypr to not give up, I do have a problem with that. He delayed the initial shipment because he knew that they were not fit to install on these cars. When he did finally ship them, he knew that they were not acceptable and that the purchasers would not be happy with them. He has not been back here to post a comment since the shipment. In my opinion a man of integrity would have eaten the loss before sending an inferior product to members of this forum. I am sure that this has been a learning lesson for him, but he should have learned on his own dime. When he had a perfected product, he could have then sold it for enough to recoup his R&D. I know his intentions were good, but his execution was horrid. I personally would not be able to sleep at night knowing that I had charged people for something that I knew that they could not use. For this reason... I do not have any respect for Hyper, and hope that he abandons his other ideas.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:35 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Originally Posted by bmorgan
While I can appreciate the posts urging Hypr to not give up, I do have a problem with that. He delayed the initial shipment because he knew that they were not fit to install on these cars. When he did finally ship them, he knew that they were not acceptable and that the purchasers would not be happy with them. He has not been back here to post a comment since the shipment. In my opinion a man of integrity would have eaten the loss before sending an inferior product to members of this forum. I am sure that this has been a learning lesson for him, but he should have learned on his own dime. When he had a perfected product, he could have then sold it for enough to recoup his R&D. I know his intentions were good, but his execution was horrid. I personally would not be able to sleep at night knowing that I had charged people for something that I knew that they could not use. For this reason... I do not have any respect for Hyper, and hope that he abandons his other ideas.

Unfortunately, this is also the way I see it and agree completely.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
Well, I think 180 needs to come out of retirement, pull some strings, and make these out of the right material.... Too bad it didn't work out as well as we all thought it would, or wouldn't depending on the side of the fence you are standing on....but at least he is trying...
To make anything like this in plastic so that it has a quality finish would take too much money. Plastic molds are expensive to make and the machine time to run a mold to make such a low quantity would only be a hour or so and that would include the setup and testing. A simple mold for a simple part would cost at least $20,000 made professionally and on the cheap and would be capable of making hundreds of parts. Making it in a basement would be impossible without the proper machines.

The best vent design I have seen was the one on the prototype in the Chrysler museum. Frankly I would rather not have had one at all than have the OEM design.

Making grilles by comparison is very easy. Although I have yet to see a grille that looks better than the OEM ones and those that have been modified by painting or the addition of a little chrome. But that's just my opinion and I do not have opinions about too much.

Old 12-12-2010, 03:28 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Originally Posted by onehundred80
But that's just my opinion and I do not have opinions about too much.
Now that is funny.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by MI1XFIRE
I just got my refund
I hope I get mine in time for christmas...

Quick Reply: New fender strakes