Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

New fender strakes

Old 12-07-2010, 06:55 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: New fender strakes

I also got mine the other day, I sent an email to him telling him i wasnt happy, but I also am gonna eat this investment too.. I'm not gonna bash him or his work, but I wont be using these. Maybe his painter is no good? maybe wrong materials used? I think they are to soft. But the bottom lline is "I dont recommend these"

Old 12-07-2010, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those look like really cheap shitty plastic stick ons that should be carried in the ricer aisle at Autozone. I am always leary of anything new ever since I got burned 10 years ago on a new product for Dodge Stealths.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by JimmySkullz
I also got mine the other day, I sent an email to him telling him i wasnt happy, but I also am gonna eat this investment too.. I'm not gonna bash him or his work, but I wont be using these. Maybe his painter is no good? maybe wrong materials used? I think they are to soft. But the bottom lline is "I dont recommend these"
Ditto - old strakes back on - with more knowledge of injection molding he may get this right some day.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:36 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xfire82
Those look like really cheap shitty plastic stick ons that should be carried in the ricer aisle at Autozone. I am always leary of anything new ever since I got burned 10 years ago on a new product for Dodge Stealths.
What product was that? I had a Stealth about 10 years ago too

Old 12-07-2010, 08:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Grumps I think what is throwing you off is the gloss black paint, it makes them too blunt as it were. I had already committed to having my strakes painted when this product was introduced. I really liked it then and still do. I'd go with matte charcoal to tone them down. They need to not stand out so much. When you look at the OEM/custom picture the OEM look like they were designed by Mattel. Just painting them helped:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
HyprLtH20-Mine.jpg (254.1 KB, 116 views)
Old 12-07-2010, 09:23 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by Grumps
Ditto - old strakes back on - with more knowledge of injection molding he may get this right some day.
These were not injection molded, they were made by pouring the resin into a mold. The resin can be of various hardness, I mentioned before that the material is not good for this application. It is also quite heavy, possibly to heavy to stick on with double sided tape.
Originally Posted by Rapps
Grumps I think what is throwing you off is the gloss black paint, it makes them too blunt as it were. I had already committed to having my strakes painted when this product was introduced. I really liked it then and still do. I'd go with matte charcoal to tone them down. They need to not stand out so much. When you look at the OEM/custom picture the OEM look like they were designed by Mattel. Just painting them helped:
If I had damage in this area I would get these fenders modified and fill in that depression for the strakes.
I agree with Rapps they look to massive in black against the red paint. Painting them to match the body like Rapps helps, my car's black so I'm OK.
I do not like the look of them, as I do not like the OEM's much either.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by JimmySkullz
I got mine today also. Feel the same as Jimmy. Still think it is a good idea but lacking on the R&D side. I am thinking onehundred80 is correct about the material. It reminds me of concrete poured in a plastic lined form. It will follow and recreate every imperfection. These seem to do this up against the edges of the strakes and the area between the gills. Its a great idea that needs to be perfected.

I am thinking of giving mine to Vakryderguy for Christmas. LOL

Old 12-07-2010, 10:59 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigkid
I am thinking of giving mine to Vakryderguy for Christmas. LOL
LOL! Sounds like a great white elephant gift.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:04 PM

Sorry for the spelling error Gary. BTW what is your address again?

Old 12-08-2010, 03:12 AM

Now I do not feel so bad about not liking these. They would have turned out better if they were injection molded. I had mine painted white that like the black was too much. I believe the painter may need schooling on finish work, my paint has flaked off during shipment. This was a learning experience.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Bigkid
Sorry for the spelling error Gary. BTW what is your address again?

I can give it to you as long as nobody sends these to me

Sad to see it go this route, but that is why I wait to see it before I buy things like this; like Mad_Med05X's carbon fiber hood, I've seen it, and if I had the money, it would be an item I would buy.

So if there is a second generation that is successful and I see it, perhaps I will consider it.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:44 AM
Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by billvp
What product was that? I had a Stealth about 10 years ago too
haha, im a 3si member #350 also, i bet your reffering to the 99 front bumpers? i lost money from that guy also, lol.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:07 PM

I personally like the OEM's, simple, yet stylistic. If mine get damaged, my plan is to pull the black part out, file the holes, and at the very least flat black the molded steel front lip area, flatten the backs of the strakes and tape them right back on so they're flush with the fender.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:10 PM
Forum Regular

Glad I dodged this bullet. Good luck to all buyers.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:26 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Originally Posted by Tnaski
I believe the painter may need schooling on finish work, my paint has flaked off during shipment.
Maybe the "painter" and the "seller" were the same person???

Old 12-08-2010, 07:49 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkieSRT6
Maybe the "painter" and the "seller" were the same person???
I think not. As a member of the group buy side skirt project that went awry, I've been following this thread out of curiosity. I had my doubts from the beginning that it would turn out well.

But give HyprLtH20 a break. IMHO he had honest intentions of making great products for our cars. But taking his dreams from photoshop to reality has been a BIG learning curve that I'm sure he didn't expect.

Hopefully he'll take this as a lessons learned and refine the production.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by Tnaski
Now I do not feel so bad about not liking these. They would have turned out better if they were injection molded. I had mine painted white that like the black was too much. I believe the painter may need schooling on finish work, my paint has flaked off during shipment. This was a learning experience.
These parts are flexible and flexible parts need flexible paint, painting this material is not easy as the paint has to adhere to the surface. Proper preparation, primer and the correct paint would have been better.
The material needs to cure properly and if they are not cured that may lead to trouble as well.
Sadly we got the hi-res photos finally but they came from an unhappy customer.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dont give up Hypr you have good intentions, you may have to eat the cost of a few products to give them some R&D but it could be worth it in the end

Old 12-09-2010, 02:50 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Voyager
Dont give up Hypr you have good intentions, you may have to eat the cost of a few products to give them some R&D but it could be worth it in the end
I agree with you.. I hope he does not give up..

Old 12-09-2010, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Rapp's
I took your advice and air brushed them flat black and sanded the back for a better fit. I believe with better planning and a plastic manufacturers help, he could make a product that the fit and finish are precise. He would only need to worry about a design acceptable to the majority of Crossfire owners. His heart is in the right place, but lacks experience in plastic manufacturing. All his other ideas are either going to be extruded or injected, you can hardly pour side skirts. He needs to rethink his business model and try again. Make a prototype and pass it around to members for comments. This would be a good first start.

Last edited by Grumps; 10-01-2014 at 08:40 PM.

Quick Reply: New fender strakes