Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Another Freakin' Headlight Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 11:51 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another Freakin' Headlight Thread

OK... I've read through every headlight thread here. I've scoured the rest of the internet, and I STILL can't get my headlights to seem to do anything other than provide shiny things on the front of the car.

Checked the bulbs to make sure they are seated properly - several times. On my first look, one was not. I have since removed and reinstalled each bulb, just to be sure, twice.

My passenger side headlight is something close to being somewhat effective. The low beam needs to be much higher, but if I raise it up, it puts the high beam in the treetops.

My driver side headlight is cranked up as high as it will go. The high beam is OK, but the low beam is still only hitting right in front of the car.

It is to the point where I am considering ripping the front end off the car and having a shop fabricate a complete, new, custom, one-off piece, with entirely different headlights. I kind of like the last gen Acura TL headlights.

Grrrrr!

Old 08-05-2010, 08:17 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Another Freakin' Headlight Thread

Originally Posted by Joliet John
OK... I've read through every headlight thread here. I've scoured the rest of the internet, and I STILL can't get my headlights to seem to do anything other than provide shiny things on the front of the car.

Checked the bulbs to make sure they are seated properly - several times. On my first look, one was not. I have since removed and reinstalled each bulb, just to be sure, twice.

My passenger side headlight is something close to being somewhat effective. The low beam needs to be much higher, but if I raise it up, it puts the high beam in the treetops.

My driver side headlight is cranked up as high as it will go. The high beam is OK, but the low beam is still only hitting right in front of the car.

It is to the point where I am considering ripping the front end off the car and having a shop fabricate a complete, new, custom, one-off piece, with entirely different headlights. I kind of like the last gen Acura TL headlights.

Grrrrr!
I don't know if I said this before, but try adjusting them (clip loose) in place while they are on. They aren't hot and you won't get a shock.

Makes life a whole lot easier. The design sucks, but this works.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
I don't know if I said this before, but try adjusting them (clip loose) in place while they are on. They aren't hot and you won't get a shock.

Makes life a whole lot easier. The design sucks, but this works.
I take it you mean seating the bulbs in the housing properly - do that with the lights on to be sure it's in there absolutely perfectly right, right?

Old 08-06-2010, 07:33 AM

I take it you mean seating the bulbs in the housing properly - do that with the lights on to be sure it's in there absolutely perfectly right, right?
That's the way I do it-surefire method. No guessing. When the notch lines up and falls into place, it is VERY obvious.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:37 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea I helped my brother-in-law with one of his headlights. It didn't project that nice clean line like the other light so I checked it to make sure it was in the correct way and it was . I had him turn on the lights while I fiddled with the light and blamo, I found the sweet spot and reinstalled the clip.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by msheredy
Yea I helped my brother-in-law with one of his headlights. It didn't project that nice clean line like the other light so I checked it to make sure it was in the correct way and it was . I had him turn on the lights while I fiddled with the light and blamo, I found the sweet spot and reinstalled the clip.
Weird. I'll give it a shot. Nothing to lose.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:54 AM

Wow. Done. Thanks guys!

It's hard to imagine such minute tweaking would make such a big difference. I even tweaked the one that seemed fine and got it even better.

Remember the old days when you bought a $5 headlight at K-Mart and stuck it in the hole in the front of the car?

Old 08-07-2010, 12:40 PM

Wow. Done. Thanks guys!

It's hard to imagine such minute tweaking would make such a big difference. I even tweaked the one that seemed fine and got it even better.

Remember the old days when you bought a $5 headlight at K-Mart and stuck it in the hole in the front of the car?
Yes, I do remember.

I have to admit, though-the new ones sure put out a LOT more light!

Glad to help.