Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Final thoughts on Angel Eyes?

Old 08-01-2010, 10:31 PM
Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Final thoughts on Angel Eyes?

I have read through the threads concerning Angel eyes.

-It appears that 125mm is the best fit?

-I have read that the lens can be cut apart from the housing, or heated in the oven. What about a heat gun around the seal to remove the lens?

-I do not want them high power to be seen in bright daylight. CCFL or LED or? Are they available in a warmer color than pure white?

-Any other ideas/tips would be appreciated.

James

Old 08-01-2010, 11:20 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts
Default Re: Final thoughts on Angel Eyes?

Originally Posted by James1549
I have read through the threads concerning Angel eyes.

-It appears that 125mm is the best fit?

-I have read that the lens can be cut apart from the housing, or heated in the oven. What about a heat gun around the seal to remove the lens?

-I do not want them high power to be seen in bright daylight. CCFL or LED or? Are they available in a warmer color than pure white?

-Any other ideas/tips would be appreciated.

James
A heat gun would only supply a local heat, as you move on the part previously heated would solidify again. You would need all the cement melted to pry it apart and you would probably have to put it back into the oven again anyway as it may set up too much to get it apart in one go.
Your a braver man than I to stick hundreds of dollars in the oven.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had no idea what this is, so I went to ebay. Put em on my MGA? Did that halogen thing years ago.. Gary

Old 08-02-2010, 11:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was Going to do this. I have two complete headlights all ready dissambled and ready to go. I got screwed out a set of led halos on eBay and am no longer Persuing this project. If you want them pm me, it would be as easy as you getting halos and gluing them up. The cuts I made are covered by the rubber trim cover as well as the lenses are clear with no haze. The glue Mercedes uses will not heat up to a tack and release. The only way to get theses apart is to cut them. Heat has been attempted by multiple members to no avail.

Last edited by jonnyangel04; 08-02-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:04 PM

I attempted to send you a PM, your box is full, and you won't accept emails. I am interested. Thanks for the reply. James

Originally Posted by jonnyangel04
I was Going to do this. I have two complete headlights all ready dissambled and ready to go. I got screwed out a set of led halos on eBay and am no longer Persuing this project. If you want them pm me, it would be as easy as you getting halos and gluing them up. The cuts I made are covered by the rubber trim cover as well as the lenses are clear with no haze. The glue Mercedes uses will not heat up to a tack and release. The only way to get theses apart is to cut them. Heat has been attempted by multiple members to no avail.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:45 PM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Talking Re: Final thoughts on Angel Eyes?

• Johnny: Can you show me the cuts you did on the headlight, I wanted to add something and tried the oven way long ago, like you stated. Thanks Woody

Old 08-07-2010, 10:49 PM

I ordered 120mm, I couldn't find 125mm.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:55 PM

Here is how I did it. The lenses are dusty but they are mint. The headlights are in perfect condition. Up for sale, James1549 gets first dibbs. I was going to have the insides painted and run with LED halos but dont have the time. I got jipped out of my ebay purchase as well. Guy kept saying he was going to send, long enough for me to no longer be able to work out a paypal claim. Regardless they will need to be expoxied back together, the rubber stripp covers the cut. Also you can not see where it is glued from inside the head lamp the inserts will cover the bottom cut and the top part is too far back on the bezel. There is no way to heat these lenses off or get the glue to release this is the only way to do it. Pics below.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photo 1 (2).jpg (75.6 KB, 95 views)
photo 2.jpg (85.1 KB, 103 views)
photo 3.jpg (46.9 KB, 97 views)
photo 3 (1).jpg (82.0 KB, 102 views)
photo 4.jpg (75.6 KB, 103 views)
photo 4 (1).jpg (78.5 KB, 107 views)
Old 09-04-2010, 03:44 AM

check out my pics as an alternative..

Old 09-04-2010, 09:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If James isn't interested, I'll take 2nd dibs. Sent you a PM also .....

Old 09-04-2010, 11:03 AM

The only way to do it is with an oven. Put it on its lowest setting and leave the door open, lenses should just pull off. Also be sure to clean the old sealant off while its still warm.

Most of the newer halo's are super bright and can be seen during daylight/dusk hours... Think about all of the bmw's you see around during daylight.

They are also available in tons of colors depending on who you go through. IMO I like the white, its simple, classy and functional. Plus if you have HID's and LED sidemarkers they mesh flawlessly

I've thought about just doing audi DRL style strips in the lower part of the headlight housing.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:36 AM

there is no way to do this in an oven. I have read through multiple MB threads as well as talked to members who have done it on here. Only way is to cut on the seal.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:55 AM
Senior Member/Moderator

I had to chuckle when I saw this one. One day a few years ago I walk in the kitchen and I smell something weird. I look in the oven and there are my son Sean's headlight assemblies from his RSX. So now I really think this kid has lost it, who told him this one? Well apparently he knows just the right temp and timing to get the lense off. I sure wouldn't let him touch mine but he's done a bunch of them. What they were doing was painting the inside of the housing black, I think they came chromed or polished. Looked really nice when they were finished. I think he was getting a couple hundred bucks a pair. I'll ask him what he thinks but he's not practicing on mine.
Pat

Old 12-23-2010, 01:37 PM

I cut mine apart, due to the concerns with warping in the oven.... with that said, you don't know what you don't know...... I had no idea until after the fact that there was such a big concern with cutting, moisture, and all the other things that have been discussed on these forums. I did use the 125mm CFL from Oracle, so far we love them. No issues to date, I added them the week before the Fall Dragon, and have had no issues. (got a lot of positive feedback at the gatherings)
I noticed the set being offered on this thread were cut a bit different then what I did, but I would think it would be to each his own........ These seem to be cut straight up and down, were I actually slid an exacto type knife under the lip of the clear lense and went around it 2-3 times before I could actually seperate the lense from the housing. I think this allowed me to get a better seal with the epoxy I used to seal them back together. So far knock on wood, no moisture issues, and I love the look..... here's a couple of pictures you decide....