Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Rear window in convertible top

Old 07-24-2010, 09:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear window in convertible top

Just bought a used 2005 Crossfire Roadster and am having problems with the back window coming loose. I have tried hot glue, contact cement, epoxy and just about everything else. The hotter it gets in Savannah the worse it is falling out. Does anyone know of any way to attach the window without having to replace the whole top? The top is in great shape other than the loose window. Thanks, E

Old 07-24-2010, 09:23 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: Rear window in convertible top

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about your rear window. That aside, this has been discussed exhaustively and a simple search will bring up many informative threads regarding the same issue you are having. Here's your one forum search freebie though and good luck with the window.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post396080

Old 07-24-2010, 09:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oh Boy .... the dreaded rear window problem. Pretty common for our roadster from the Southern states (primarily). There are numerous threads here in the forum about this problem. Just search for Rear Window and you should get many. Look for one from Tighed1 (sorry I don't know how to put in the linky). But I bet he'll chime in here.
Be that as it may, I used his repair method last January, and it's still good as new. The only problem might be cleaning or scraping off all the stuff you've used, and how much of the window has come loose. Just stay tuned here. help is on the way ....
Other then his repair .... done carefully ..... the only other thing that has been done, is to have a "top" shop sew in another window, but from what I have heard that's as expensive as getting a new top ......

Old 07-24-2010, 09:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcompart
Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about your rear window. That aside, this has been discussed exhaustively and a simple search will bring up many informative threads regarding the same issue you are having. Here's your one forum search freebie though and good luck with the window.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post396080
There you go ... you'll find Tighed1 repair there

Old 07-24-2010, 09:36 PM

Thanks guys, I appreciate the great advice. I have cleaned the old glue off and will head to Auto Zone in the morning to try the 3M Window Weld. Wish me luck....

Old 07-24-2010, 10:59 PM
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Nothing to add 'cept take yer time. It can be VERY messy if you try to hurry.
Let us know how it goes. And if you do a good job, post pictures!

BTW my repairs are still holding up just fine.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:41 PM

My window came loose a week ago. Half of the window was detached and half attached. I elevated the window as if I was putting the top down but stopped short when the window was exactly vertical. I then applied Gorilla Glue as it is waterproof. It bound in about 15 minutes. The next day I used a razor to take off the excess glue and poured water to check for leaks. None were found. I have raised and lowered the window many times since without problems. Note, we are experiencing extreme heat. Has anyone else had success with Gorilla Glue?

Old 08-11-2010, 01:53 PM
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

When I went to repair my rear window I bought half a dozen different types of adhesives to include Gorilla Glue. I then glued pieces of cloth, using the various glues, to glass and let them sit for a day.
I then pulled each of the cloth pieces off noting how well the adhered to the glass.
They all held but the 3M Weld won the test that is why I used it.

Let us know every few months how the GG is doing. So far my original repair is still holding!

Old 08-16-2010, 07:29 AM

Tighed1,

I had this problem and tried your method, but it didn't work for me. I think my window had separated too much already (and I probably just suck really bad at this kind of stuff).

What ended up working for me was pulling the window completely off, then putting 3M trim adhesive double sided tape all the way around the window. Then I put a bead of 3M super weather strip and gasket adhesive on the tape and stuck it back to the top. After a day I ran another bead on the inside and outside of the window where it meets the fabric (I didn't come up with this idea myself, I found this method on the Internet outside the forum).

I did this on July 4th weekend. I live in Texas and we've had lots of heat and a few monsoons since then. So far no leak and no separation (I've also put the top up and down about 10 times). Just wanted to put this out as another alternative. I think your method would have worked if mine hadn't come off so much already. I think the tape helped to hold it to the top while the adhesive did it's work.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:08 AM

I recomment the 3M Window Weld. It works well!

I think the manufactuer should have a recall on the glass comming loose from the top. They really should have to pay for all of these to be repaired or replaced

Thank you for the help guys.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:29 PM

Thanks for all the help. We have a 2005 SRT-6 with the rear window falling out as well.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:05 PM

I did a crappy job but the stuff works. Just try not to get it on visible fabric like I did because this stuff will corrode into the fabric. Anyway here is my amateur result.

I do recommend 3M window weld when used carefully

Fixing the window soft top convertible (it fell out) - Imgur

Last edited by mattehring; 09-09-2013 at 07:08 PM.