Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Hats off to Tburris...

Old 07-12-2010, 02:56 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Talking Hats off to Tburris...

After seeing Tburris' car at the CAA - CICCI Fan Based Crossfire Show at the race track, I came home inspired. Not wanting to copy him to directly, but simular in idea. I found a little kit of four spots at Autozone for under $20.
Using one of those fuse adapters and some wire splicing, I tapped an "always on" fuse in the drivers side fuse box. Put in a water tight switch, with indicater led, in the top of the lid, then ran the wire bundle thru the lid and up to the hood liner. With the hood up, I don't have to have the key on, to run the lights.

IMGP2205.jpg

This shot took about 20 seconds to expose, just for effect.

IMGP2204.jpg

This shot is more like what we can see.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Hats off to Tburris...

Terry, that looks great, usually I amk not a huge fan of adding lights, but for the night show with the hood popped, this looks pretty clean.

Can you provide any details on the switch or tap in that you used?

Thanks, I need to post some pics of my arm pad as well. The girlfriend was hesitant at first, until she got in the car and realized how much more comfortable it is, now we both love it

If they are something you guys can make fairly easily, you may just want to market these. If you ever do, let me know, I meet a lot of midwest XF owners, and if someone asks, at least I will know who to point them to.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:37 PM

Thanks John,
Sure thing- I bought the parts at Autozone. I used the 4 LED spots kit by "Type S". I did how ever use my own "red tape" for the final install, instead of the who knows how old sti'***. I did need to add extra wire for the length of the run to go all the way to the fuse box. The switch is a "3A Racing" universal mini rocker switch, with a red "on" LED. And I tapped the radio slot for the Add-a-Circuit by "Bussmann".
Here's a shot of the fuse box closed and the wire harness to the hood blanket.

IMGP2212.jpg

And here's a shot inside the box.

IMGP2215.jpg

Thanks about the arm pad, I'll tell DC'.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very sharp. Did you say there was another car done similarly? You have any pics of it too? I myself have never been a fan of additional lighting, but that truly is nice.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by HellFire
Very sharp. Did you say there was another car done similarly? You have any pics of it too? I myself have never been a fan of additional lighting, but that truly is nice.
I saw Tburris' car the night of the CAA Track/Car Show. I'm not sure if he has any photos in his gallery. He had used a different style of LED, a 120 degree high intensity flood light. He only needed to run one wire, where the kit I used has 4 wires. Plus with the chrome CAI and other things, his engine looked like there were more than just the single LED, very cool looking IMO.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats acutally not bad looking. I too am not a fan of adding lights where they dont belong, but thats not a half bad idea...

I might have to try this

Old 07-15-2010, 11:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Terry, my hat is off to you, yet another endeavor where it looks like this came from the factory that way.

TBurris, care to chime in and offer any insight on your single wide throw light?

Thanks.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:21 AM

Thanks for all the looks. Here's a shot in the garage with the overhead light on and the LEDs, gives a little better feel for the look.

IMGP2202.jpg

Now if I just had a little chrome....