Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

2-Tone Paint Job...I need your thoughts...

Old 07-12-2010, 06:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2-Tone Paint Job...I need your thoughts...

Hi All,

I have been toiling with the idea of giving my 04 Crossfire Limited a new two-tone paint job for a while now. I have read through many of the posts pertaining to Paint schemes, however I haven't found any that I really like. So that is where it brought me to this....It seems that with the two-tone paint jobs I have seen on here, they always take away from the body lines of the car. This is what I want to avoid doing. So below you will see a picture of my car as it currently looks, as well as a picture of my paint idea that I have. I am going for a two-tone paint scheme that will be Clean, Classy and somewhat Sporty. The only reason I am thinking of repainting the Crossfire at all, is because the clear coat is starting to slightly show its age, and could use a refresh.....so what better excuse to give the ol' girl a new look, right?! Well I need everyones thoughts and ideas so I can really make this effort worth my time and money, and to give her a distinct look. Thanks!

Current Paint

Proposed Paint Style

Old 07-12-2010, 07:00 AM
Default Re: 2-Tone Paint Job....I need your thoughts...

It looks better all white,just my 2cents worth.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:24 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: 2-Tone Paint Job....I need your thoughts...

Here's one of my favorites.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-spy-shot.html

Old 07-12-2010, 08:32 AM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 2-Tone Paint Job...I need your thoughts...

Leave it alone! This is an almost impossible car to two tone. Beaner has pretty much the only one that looks good. White is rare ........ leave it be.
We were talking at Carlisle about what paint mods look good on the alibaster, paint the window surround, door handles and maybe the grille with some chrome strips added. Personally I think the chrome window surround and door handle covers, strakes would be another way to go.

Pe

Old 07-12-2010, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by patpur
Leave it alone! This is an almost impossible car to two tone. Beaner has pretty much the only one that looks good. White is rare ........ leave it be.
We were talking at Carlisle about what paint mods look good on the alibaster, paint the window surround, door handles and maybe the grille with some chrome strips added. Personally I think the chrome window surround and door handle covers, strakes would be another way to go.

Pe
Yea, I think you might be right....The other thing I was thinking of though....has anyone made their Crossfire "Pearl white" with the chrome? That might be an even better alternative to any 2-tone paint schemes.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:46 AM

I like both the stock and the two-tone. If you like the two-tone I would go for it. Looks nice in my opinion.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by AChinn
Yea, I think you might be right....The other thing I was thinking of though....has anyone made their Crossfire "Pearl white" with the chrome? That might be an even better alternative to any 2-tone paint schemes.
I would pass on the two tone bottom strip, but I have thought in the past how great this car would have been in PEARL!!.... If you go that way you HAVE to post it.!!! Good Luck with your opinion poll there are plenty (Opinions) in this forum

Last edited by MCDNIFE; 07-12-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:14 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm pretty sure FTroopChief (spelling?) went with the pearl paint on his alabaster.

Very difficult to see in photos, however. I'm thinking a nice HDR image would capture it well, but in person it would be stunning.

I agree with everyone else though... the Alabaster is a rare color on Mercedes vehicles... and rare on our cars as well. I'd stick with the single color.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:15 AM

I think it looks sharp... nice added 'extra' without being too cheesy...

jmo of course... and while it's great for you to ask.. the truth is...

if YOU like it... do it !

Old 07-12-2010, 12:01 PM
Forum Regular

The bottom striping seems, to me, to make the vehicle look "squatty". Kinda like when a short girl wears a light top and a dark or red skirt. Too choppy. Our cars seem to flow more from front to back rather than from top down. The pearl effect seems like a logical progression from the alabaster color. Whatever you do, bring that puppy up the road to West Knox. to celebrate the change!

Old 07-12-2010, 12:10 PM
Life is random...so am I.

I actually kind of like the 2-tone one. It's pretty subtle, yet adds a little change to the car.

To be honest..... just do whatever makes YOU happy.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Solid white is where its at. Two-tone on a Crossfire would be tricky to follow a body panel and/or body line, then how will you transition from one color to the other?

Back in the 50s (the golden age of tu-tone paint jobs) the factory used tons of chome molding down the slab sides of those battleships. You can still find some two-tones today but, they are the lower body one color and the top another, or the use of pinstripe tape to seperate the colors.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:35 PM

If that's the only two tone scheme you have leave it alone.
Picture that layout under certain lighting conditions and the dark will disappear leaving you with a car that looks to have a 14" ground clearance. Well it certainly would be memorable.
Montana