Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

add on fog lights

Old 05-05-2010, 10:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default add on fog lights

Anyone with a base model add fog lights? Any pics or brand/type recommendations?

Dh

Old 05-05-2010, 11:23 PM
Default Re: add on fog lights

TYPE IN FOG LIGHTS IN SEARCH BOX AND YOU WILL FIND THE INFO.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:14 AM
Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

I would find a used pair of OEMs. Many here have added them with great success and able to use the factory headlight switch.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:15 AM

I would suggest subscribing to alldata.com, but subscribe for a limited. I used my slk schematics, the wiring is the same. It's kind of involved. cause you have to take apart the dash to get to the light switch connector and then you need the schematic for the locations to push in the 2 female connectors in the terminal. Get OEM only lights, shop various dealers online. prices vary a bit. I got water proof connectors on ebay that come 5 to a pack and you'll only use 2 of the mail ends and they fit perfectly on the lights. They are oval shaped with a yellow seal. I had to look but I found Bosch female terminal connectors on ebay too for the illumination module (light switch) connector. I found only one site that had them. You only need 2 but order 4 just incase you bugger one. They are fairly small and some crimpers are too bulky, so take care. The stock hot wires are gray/yellow so I bought 25 ft of #14 gray wire and 15' of black for the grounds. I drilled a hole in the firewall 2 1/4 inches from the fuse bx on drivers side and 3 1/2" down from the hood seal retainer. Wire up the lights and do not cut any wires until you run the 2 gray wires off the fogs through the firewall. I Attached the ends of the wire to a long piece of stiff wire, like a clothes hanger. I wiggled the stiff wire down through the dash insulation and pulled the wires through. Then cut your wire to length and the attach the bosch connectors. The black grounds attaches with the other brown wires on the drivers fender well. seal the hole in the firewall and insulate the wire at the same time and btw be VERY careful when taking apart the dash, don't over do it, the dash parts are very thin. Don't force anything. And when you put her back together DON'T over tighten and I would suggest using small washers on your dash screws when you put her back together.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:23 AM

I guess it really depends how "factory" you want to get.

A local guy with a base model put OEM fogs on his and he said it was fairly easy. He ran the hot wire to the fuse block. He claimed when he turned on the OEM swtich for fogs, it actually powered an open fuse slot. Installed a fuse, and a "tap-it" connector and it was a go. Just reporting what I was told.

Good luck, James

Old 05-06-2010, 12:17 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by James1549
I guess it really depends how "factory" you want to get.

A local guy with a base model put OEM fogs on his and he said it was fairly easy. He ran the hot wire to the fuse block. He claimed when he turned on the OEM swtich for fogs, it actually powered an open fuse slot. Installed a fuse, and a "tap-it" connector and it was a go. Just reporting what I was told.

Good luck, James
This would be the standard fog fuse, thats what I'm guessing.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:28 AM

I couldn't find that easy to wire hookup. I tested every connection and wire under the hood that I could find with a test light and couldn't find it, so I gave up and wired it as it would come from the factory. I know that works. You do have to add a fuse to the illumination module to activate the fog outputs.

Last edited by brookings; 05-07-2010 at 01:31 AM.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:03 AM

As I said, I am just reporting what I was told by a local guy that put some in his. You were there, you did it, I will take your word for it as well.

Either way, I think it IS worth the trouble to add them. James

PS - Personally I would wire a simple relay into the circuit so they come on automatically when the parking lights are on. No wires to run into the interior at all. That way they stay lit when any light, including high beams, are on. The base model does not have "bulb out" light on the dash to worry about.

Originally Posted by brookings
I couldn't find that easy to wire hookup. I tested every connection and wire under the hood that I could find with a test light and couldn't find it, so I gave up and wired it as it would come from the factory. I know that works. You do have to add a fuse to the illumination module to activate the fog outputs.

Last edited by James1549; 05-07-2010 at 09:13 AM.