Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

How do the two grills below main grill come out?

Old 03-09-2010, 12:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do the two grills below main grill come out?

Painting the original grill with duplicolors steel wheel paint (same as wheels and windshield surround) and it looks just really nice. In fact it resembles a Caddy grill. I like it. The removal of the grill was a piece of cake. Now I'd like to do those two little grills that live beneath the main grill....

Can anyone tell me how much of a hassle it is to get the out and then back in after they are painted.....

Thanks Popeye

Old 03-09-2010, 12:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How do the two grills below main grill come out?

Originally Posted by popeye
Painting the original grill with duplicolors steel wheel paint (same as wheels and windshield surround) and it looks just really nice. In fact it resembles a Caddy grill. I like it. The removal of the grill was a piece of cake. Now I'd like to do those two little grills that live beneath the main grill....

Can anyone tell me how much of a hassle it is to get the out and then back in after they are painted.....

Thanks Popeye
They pop in and out, there are only tabs holding them in. You can press the tabs in and pull the grille out, its that easy.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Received 607 Likes on 402 Posts

Thanks Popeye
The tabs or on the ends so just push to the outside of the car and pull forward. Be sure when you replace them that they lockin because they will fall out on the first big bump.
I performed that experiment myself already so please, trust me.

roadster with a stick

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 03-09-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:52 PM
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Don't forget that the outside temp sensor is attached to the driver's side lower grill thingy.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by tighed1
Don't forget that the outside temp sensor is attached to the driver's side lower grill thingy.
Not since my "experiment" it ain't

roadster with a stick

Old 03-09-2010, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by tighed1
Got down on my 70 year old hiney and looked through the grills and all I see
is about 2/5 of the grill is solid. The passenger side has a square hole in that solid part, but I see no tabs. Driver side grill pretty much the same. I must not be looking in the right place.

I thought let me see if I can get at the tabs from under the hood, no cigar there either. Can one of you lead me by the hand and tell me where to look?

Noting that 2/5 of the grill is solid, not so sure painting it without taping off those solid parts so the whole thing looks like a grill would look so good. But if I can find a way to tape off the bottom of the solid squares it should look pretty nice....

Can I see these tabs of which you speak from the front of those grills?

Thanks Popeye

Old 03-09-2010, 02:14 PM

Got down on my 70 year old hiney and looked through the grills and all I see
is about 2/5 of the grill is solid. The passenger side has a square hole in that solid part, but I see no tabs. Driver side grill pretty much the same. I must not be looking in the right place.

I thought let me see if I can get at the tabs from under the hood, no cigar there either. Can one of you lead me by the hand and tell me where to look?

Noting that 2/5 of the grill is solid, not so sure painting it without taping off those solid parts so the whole thing looks like a grill would look so good. But if I can find a way to tape off the bottom of the solid squares it should look pretty nice....

Can I see these tabs of which you speak from the front of those grills?

Thanks Popeye
The tabs are on the grills.

Stick two fingers into the grill, right next to the center body part. Push to the outside of the car, left on the left one, right on the right one, and they will move sideways. Do a little twist, push and pull. They will come out.

Once you do it the process will seem simple and easy.

You can do this from the inside of the car by hittin' a bump, or a ramp, just right. I cannot guarrantee you won't scratch the parts so I do not reccomend it.

franc

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 03-09-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher

You can do this from the inside of the car by hittin' a bump, or a ramp, just right.
or racoon haha

Old 03-09-2010, 03:36 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

You know, I was just in the garage wondering how they came out. I just pulled gently and it popped right out. So if you can't find the tabs you should be able to gently pull until it lets go.

Les

Old 03-09-2010, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by velociabstract
You know, I was just in the garage wondering how they came out. I just pulled gently and it popped right out. So if you can't find the tabs you should be able to gently pull until it lets go.

Les
I went out and tried to stick my fingers in the holes, and can only get the tips in. The grills are really quite tight, although they will move about 1/8 inch. Not being able the get any real leverage front to back I don't want to use a tool and risk breaking that fragile plastic. So, think will pass on this embellishment. Perhaps if I happen to have it near a Crossfire wrench and he can take them out for me I can then paint them and stuff them back in....

Thanks for the information. The big grill was a piece of cake. ....Popeye

Old 03-09-2010, 04:14 PM
Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Actually they will come out without any tools. Just have to work with them and have strong fingers.

When I painted my lower grilles, I went back and filled in the solid holes with black paint.

First I scrubbed them with strong soap and a scrub brush. Let them dry overnight. 2 coats of epoxy primer. Then 2 coats of Duplicolor silver wheel paint. With an eyedropper, I filled the solid holes with thinned black paint. Next day I put 2 coats of satin clear.

Good Luck, James

Last edited by James1549; 03-09-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hit a small dog and the grill popped right off. All though I don't recommend this procedure.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I just checked in the light to see what I can add to help. The 2 tabs are on the end towards the nose of the car. No tabs on the top or bottom. If you pull in the center it will bow a little and then you can see the tabs. They are about 3/8" long and an inch apart. Once free it will swing out like a door and then you can get it out easily. All these kids that grew up on legos are now designing our cars. Everything just snaps apart and together again.

Les

Old 03-09-2010, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by James1549
Actually they will come out without any tools. Just have to work with them and have strong fingers.

When I painted my lower grilles, I went back and filled in the solid holes with black paint.

First I scrubbed them with strong soap and a scrub brush. Let them dry overnight. 2 coats of epoxy primer. Then 2 coats of Duplicolor silver wheel paint. With an eyedropper, I filled the solid holes with thinned black paint. Next day I put 2 coats of satin clear.

Good Luck, James
That does look very nice. And the eyedropper with the black paint sounds like it would save me some taping off. Gets me back in the mood to try to get thos things out. Another fellow says that the locking tabs are toward the center and none exist on top or bottom. Thinks that bowing the grill might let the tabs clear on that one end. Tomorrow I"ll have to go out and give it another go to see if I can get them out....That really does look nice on your coupe....Popeye

Old 03-09-2010, 08:05 PM
Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Thanks. Those grilles are made out of a very sturdy plastic. You must bow them to remove them. I find it hard to believe you could break them on accident... well, not literately!

That does look very nice. And the eyedropper with the black paint sounds like it would save me some taping off. Gets me back in the mood to try to get thos things out. Another fellow says that the locking tabs are toward the center and none exist on top or bottom. Thinks that bowing the grill might let the tabs clear on that one end. Tomorrow I"ll have to go out and give it another go to see if I can get them out....That really does look nice on your coupe....Popeye

Last edited by James1549; 03-09-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:19 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

you can use a flat head screw driver...put a shop rag between the middle divider and the grille...pry a little pushing the grille to the outside, pull out...there you go....

Old 03-09-2010, 10:35 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been kicking around the idea of painting my grille to match the rest of the silver on the car. I figured it might knock some of cheapness out of that mini van grille. How bout some pics. I would sure like to see it.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:47 PM
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

I like what you did with the lower grill James.
Don't be surprised if you see a lot more like it in St. Louis!

Old 03-10-2010, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
you can use a flat head screw driver...put a shop rag between the middle divider and the grille...pry a little pushing the grille to the outside, pull out...there you go....
Got one out this afternoon. Had some paint can openers from Lowes and I hooked one about in the middle down low, and the other one next tot he center of the front end. I then just pulled on the one in the middle and it popped out, and so held it out and pushed in on the end near the center. Bingo it was in my hand. Have to wait a couple days when rain stops so I can wash in soapy water and dry....thanks for the advice....Popeye

Old 03-10-2010, 07:43 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

good for you.....get her done....and show us what you got....

Quick Reply: How do the two grills below main grill come out?