Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.
View Poll Results: Would you be
I'm interested in purchasing this Carbon Fiber hood for the Crossfire in a forum bulk buy!
84.13%
That design is beautiful, but not my style!
15.87%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Vented Carbon Fiber Hood Design Status

Old 04-10-2012, 02:10 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Vented Carbon Fiber Hood Design Status

If its flexing that much I think you should definitely check the bolts on your front latch ASAP.....

I seen the flex in my hood increase drastically after the bolts in my front latch loosened up.... So, to call it flex would be a understatement. I used Loctite on each and every bolt to prevent bolts from backing out due to vibration over time.

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
There was no decreasing flex at higher speed, it kept getting worse to about 125 and I had to slow because I thought it was going to rip off the car well before that. With the bump stops set correctly I can not imagine pins doing that much since they are in the same area, unless I am missing something.

I may try something on the bottom as you suggest, but when the person next to you on the interstate notices and gets your attention at 75 because it is flexing so bad, IMO something needs to be done. With the way the wind was getting a hold of it around the grille and vents, I am not convinced that applying flexible material will do anything unless you add enough to really weigh it down, defeating the purpose.

I figured with all the cross bracing it had it would be more stable and I don't consider 75 in a 70 on the interstate 'racing to work'.

Last edited by Mad_Med05X; 04-10-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:30 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad_Med05X
If its flexing that much I think you should definitely check the bolts on your front latch ASAP.....

I seen the flex in my hood increase drastically after the bolts in my front latch loosened up.... So, to call it flex would be a understatement. I used Loctite on each and every bolt to prevent bolts from backing out due to vibration over time.
I am not that bush league

Every bolt perfectly tight and latch aligned properly.

I want to hear from some of the guys who drag their's to see what it is doing at the end of the 1/4...

Mike, I know you like speed, what have you experienced with yours?

Old 04-11-2012, 07:44 AM

My hood definitely moves at higher speeds, you can easily see the movement from inside the car and people in cars along side can see the movement as well. Yes..the latch bolts are solid and the hinges are aligned..I expect the airflow over the vents is actually sucking the air out from around the engine but their is not enough air for it to be a smooth flow. I was going to try and remove the vents all together and or tape them shut to test the theory..

Old 04-11-2012, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by okeefe1961
I was going to try and remove the vents all together and or tape them shut to test the theory..
Thanks Okeefe, I had the same hypothesis, let us know what you find.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:20 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I havent been to the track yet with mine..... I do notice a some vibration at freeway speeds, but not a lot.... I have noticed that the new hood lets air in under the front... when I lift my hood I can see where the rain has run under the edge and is pushed back along the underside of the hood for 12" to 16".... I like the idea of the air to help push out heat...but also am thinking about a gasket to seal the front edge....

Old 04-11-2012, 12:01 PM

Well my first tests taping over the vents provided some improvement in the hood flex but the biggest improvement came when I put a 1/2 foam gasket seal near the front of the hood. If you notice the original hood they had a rubber gasket, I was not able to locate a similar one so I tried the rubberized open foam..$10 at the local hardware store..

I will try the last test with the vents totally removed this weekend to see how it performs.Hope this helps folks.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:06 PM

I too believe this front seal to be important to the issue at hand. I will try some fabricating as well, see what I can come up with...

Old 04-13-2012, 07:31 PM

Keep me posted about a hood seal. I am going to try the foam tape for now like okeefe. I cringe every time I go over 65mph.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:30 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have had the OEM style carbonfiber hood on my car for around a year now and it looks great... But this issue at hand scares the heck out of me at high speeds. Hood is secure but it bounces and moves insanely. So plugging your vents wont better the situation, foam across the front does not help. I have foam holding pressure on the center of the hood near the windshield which helped the situation but its not a "fix". I raised the back of the hood up to let out more air... didnt help.

Fact is carbonfiber hoods are strong but they flex. They all do it. And since our hoods are large and farely flat you just got to deal with it

Ohh and at ~100mph you will really see that hood move... mine raises ¾"in the center at the windshield

Last edited by Beaner; 04-13-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:07 PM

Has anyone actually done hood pins yet? I may just for piece of mind.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by ImportLabSRT
Has anyone actually done hood pins yet? I may just for piece of mind.
I have been thinking of these. Flush mount, small hole that had to be drilled compaired to other styles. still thinking on fitment

Quik-Latch Solves Mustang Hood Pin Woes

Old 04-13-2012, 10:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Beaner
I have been thinking of these. Flush mount, small hole that had to be drilled compaired to other styles. still thinking on fitment

Would you use those in conjunction with the OEM hood latch. With these as a secondary secure mechanism. Seems if you were just using the hood pins then prying eyes when you are out in public could pop the hood and have a field day.

Just a thought.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by ZAHANMA
Would you use those in conjunction with the OEM hood latch. With these as a secondary secure mechanism. Seems if you were just using the hood pins then prying eyes when you are out in public could pop the hood and have a field day.

Just a thought.
i was thinking using them and the factory hood latch. At least then I would not fear the hood lifting while driving

Old 04-13-2012, 11:15 PM

i was thinking using them and the factory hood latch. At least then I would not fear the hood lifting while driving
That was my thought too.... Time to do some looking.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:25 PM
Question Re: Vented Carbon Fiber Hood Design Status

Does the cover on underside of car have any effect on hood movement, with or without?

Old 04-15-2012, 12:06 AM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

The movement of the hood is to be expected as the air pressure under the hood is greater than that on top of the hood.
Seal all around and there will be no benefit, a pound differential in the air pressure multiplied by the area in square inches of the hood would give you a lot of force pushing up.

The airfoil effect at speed lifts cars this is the effect on a hood that flexes. Less air pressure over the car and more underneath.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:11 AM
Smile Re: Vented Carbon Fiber Hood Design Status

Originally Posted by onehundred80
The movement of the hood is to be expected as the air pressure under the hood is greater than that on top of the hood.
Seal all around and there will be no benefit, a pound differential in the air pressure multiplied by the area in square inches of the hood would give you a lot of force pushing up.

The airfoil effect at speed lifts cars this is the effect on a hood that flexes. Less air pressure over the car and more underneath.

So the lower cover has no effect either way

Old 04-15-2012, 12:40 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

mine has been off for a few years.... I made a good run to the coast through the mountains yesterday and had a blast... the hood seemed to be fine... yes it moves, but I can live with the amount. I may get some of those really slick hood latches that Beaner found and paint them to match..... those are very nice!

Old 04-15-2012, 09:01 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quik-Latch Solves Mustang Hood Pin Woes
That should give it a nice "retro" look.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:35 AM

I love the idea of those that you posted above, but wow, $300-$400 for a set. Guess I am just cheap, but will probably still get a set down the road as its the best solution I have seen so far.

Keep us posted?

Quick Reply: Vented Carbon Fiber Hood Design Status