Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.
View Poll Results: Would you be
I'm interested in purchasing this Carbon Fiber hood for the Crossfire in a forum bulk buy!
84.13%
That design is beautiful, but not my style!
15.87%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Vented Carbon Fiber Hood Design Status

Old 03-19-2012, 03:15 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Vented Carbon Fiber Hood Design Status

Gotta admit.. Looking good! Just for a reference, can I ask what the cost of a paint job was? Looks first rate in the pics.

Get past this turbo project and maybe enough will want to pre-pay for another run on them.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure what you are asking about as the hood has not yet been painted, but soon.

And I am kind of spoiled as my drinking buddy neighbor runs a well-respected body shop, last time I had a few thousand dollars worth of custom paint done it cost me a few cases of beer and a $100 gift certificate for he and his wife to go for a decent dinner

Old 03-19-2012, 03:28 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Well I got a buddy that paints.. but It's septic trucks.. LOL.. Don't think I'll go there.

I'm shocked it's not a painted finish.. the way it shines and you can't see the carbon fiber pattern except for the wing.. Just the angle I guess?

Old 03-19-2012, 03:51 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my car hood and SRT-6 bumper painted while I was away on travel. It looks amazing!!!

I'll post some pic's later

Old 03-19-2012, 03:55 PM
Forum Regular

FYI

#2 OEM CF hoods LEFT!!!!

Originally Posted by Mad_Med05X

I have 4 OEM CF hoods that are ready to go.

$649 + shipping.

25 Lbs lighter

Send me a PM with your contact information.

Thanks,

Med

Thanks,

Old 03-20-2012, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
I'm shocked it's not a painted finish.. the way it shines and you can't see the carbon fiber pattern except for the wing.. Just the angle I guess?
I had JUST waxed it and it was the angle. It really blends into the car very nicely and does not scream at you against the graphite finish.

I need to polish it out because the shipping foam did a number on the finish in several spots, but overall, it is a looker

Old 03-20-2012, 04:39 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
I had JUST waxed it and it was the angle. It really blends into the car very nicely and does not scream at you against the graphite finish.

I need to polish it out because the shipping foam did a number on the finish in several spots, but overall, it is a looker
Thx for the feedback, I'll just use bubble wrap on the last 2 hoods to prevent blemishing of the clear-coat.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:05 PM

Adding some pics to this thread that were posted. Probably one of the sickest Aero Blue's out there.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by WorldTraveler1979
Adding some pics to this thread that were posted. Probably one of the sickest Aero Blue's out there.
Looks badass! anyone else see the smily face with the vents and the grill?!

Old 03-24-2012, 12:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally!! CF vented hood is all painted and installed! Absolutely awesome mod! So glad I jumped on this before it was too late. I believe I snatched up the last vented hood Thanks again Med!! Couldn't be any happier

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
041.JPG (1.15 MB, 93 views)
061.JPG (1.24 MB, 88 views)
072.JPG (1.12 MB, 70 views)
Old 03-25-2012, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by gr8len
Finally!! CF vented hood is all painted and installed! Absolutely awesome mod! So glad I jumped on this before it was too late. I believe I snatched up the last vented hood Thanks again Med!! Couldn't be any happier
I know this is a bit OT, but what did you do to your lower lip on your front bumper it looks modified from the standard SRT-6 front bumper cover.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:10 AM

That looks great, I have been planning on painting mine the same way on my graphite coupe, with a pin-stripe between the colors to break it up, now I am convinced

Old 03-26-2012, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by ZAHANMA
I know this is a bit OT, but what did you do to your lower lip on your front bumper it looks modified from the standard SRT-6 front bumper cover.
I was waiting for someone to comment on that It's a universal front bumper lip, got it on Ebay of course. It's actually a pretty nice piece and easy to work with, made of high silicone flexible rubber. I'm really happy with the way it came out, makes the front end a bit more aggressive and stand out from the crowd. It also compliments the other ground effects I got going on...

items in ComTechKnowLedGies store on eBay!

Proper installation does involve drilling into your bumper

Old 03-26-2012, 12:29 PM

VERY sharp! I am impressed. I love the way you had the hood done with the carbon fiber showing through still.

Forgive me if this has been covered but where or how did you get the windshield trim carbon fibered out?

Old 03-26-2012, 05:57 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks Awesome!! Mine is at the shop now getting preped for my paint scheme Ill post pics when we get it back on my car

Old 04-10-2012, 12:33 PM

Anyone else experiencing issues when driving fast, especially in the wind?

Driving aggressively at the Dragon and surrounding roads made me realize, and driving home it was fairly windy as well. The hood was shaking and looked like it was flexing at times well over a half inch when it would catch a big gust. This was at reasonable highway speeds of 75, trust me, into the triple digits it appears unstable at best. I have all the adjustments correct and bump stops perfect. I know because of its weight reduction it is not going to be as stable as OEM, but this seems pretty slow to be exhibiting this behavior.

Anyone else?

Old 04-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
Anyone else experiencing issues when driving fast, especially in the wind?

Driving aggressively at the Dragon and surrounding roads made me realize, and driving home it was fairly windy as well. The hood was shaking and looked like it was flexing at times well over a half inch when it would catch a big gust. This was at reasonable highway speeds of 75, trust me, into the triple digits it appears unstable at best. I have all the adjustments correct and bump stops perfect. I know because of its weight reduction it is not going to be as stable as OEM, but this seems pretty slow to be exhibiting this behavior.

Anyone else?

Over the pass three years I've normally seen flex around 75mph... with it decreasing due to down force around 85 - 100mph

27 1/2 lb hood that's not made out of metal will experience flexing. I'll say be sure to use Loctite on your bolts.

If you like to decrease the flexing, add dinomat to the hood lining....
FYI=Weight

Hood pins will help also..... They normally are used on CF hoods to decrease flex.... Especially if you race your car everyday to work.

Thanks,

Med

Last edited by Mad_Med05X; 04-10-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:54 PM

Definetly have flex in my hood too. Not so much that i was worried but i did install some Aerocatch hood pins. I'll post pictures later.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:20 PM
Forum Regular

Off subject but what brand eyelids are those?

Old 04-10-2012, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mad_Med05X
Over the pass three years I've normally seen flex around 75mph... with it decreasing due to down force around 85 - 100mph

27 1/2 lb hood that's not made out of metal will experience flexing. I'll say be sure to use Loctite on your bolts.

If you like to decrease the flexing, add dinomat to the hood lining....
FYI=Weight

Hood pins will help also..... They normally are used on CF hoods to decrease flex.... Especially if you race your car everyday to work.

Thanks,

Med
There was no decreasing flex at higher speed, it kept getting worse to about 125 and I had to slow because I thought it was going to rip off the car well before that. With the bump stops set correctly I can not imagine pins doing that much since they are in the same area, unless I am missing something.

I may try something on the bottom as you suggest, but when the person next to you on the interstate notices and gets your attention at 75 because it is flexing so bad, IMO something needs to be done. With the way the wind was getting a hold of it around the grille and vents, I am not convinced that applying flexible material will do anything unless you add enough to really weigh it down, defeating the purpose.

I figured with all the cross bracing it had it would be more stable and I don't consider 75 in a 70 on the interstate 'racing to work'.

Quick Reply: Vented Carbon Fiber Hood Design Status