Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.
View Poll Results: Would you be
I'm interested in purchasing this Carbon Fiber hood for the Crossfire in a forum bulk buy!
84.13%
That design is beautiful, but not my style!
15.87%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Vented Carbon Fiber Hood Design Status

Old 02-08-2012, 11:01 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts
Default Re: Vented Carbon Fiber Hood Design Status

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Just my two cents, I would list those members who stiffed you.
It does not take too much effort to go back and see who dropped out as they are listed in previous posts as being in.

As with all such endeavors talk is cheap but when it comes to money some have more mouth than assets.

Remember the old saying. "Put your money where your mouth is".

Old 02-08-2012, 11:14 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to throw that hood away when I moved to Seattle. That prototype had issues with the latch and hinges.

I do have a couple stock looking hoods covered in Carbon Fiber.

As far as the vented hoods... I believe they have all been claimed, nevertheless I believed that back in November, and look we are in Feb and I'm still paying storage fees!

I also still have the 2nd prototype on my car right now that not bad....

Old 02-09-2012, 09:41 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone actually found and swapped a different hood support for the CF hood? I am a little worried, even with additional reinforcement that someone at a car show (a judge) will try to close the hood and break it. That OEM one is made to hold a hell of a lot more weight and I think it would severly flex the hood before starting to close, unless you pushed on the correct spot and someone unfamiliar with the car would not know...

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated, a part number or web link and I owe you a drink

Old 02-09-2012, 11:24 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If we could find one that is adjustable that would be ideal.... time to start searching....

Old 02-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Smile Re: Vented Carbon Fiber Hood Design Status

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
Has anyone actually found and swapped a different hood support for the CF hood? I am a little worried, even with additional reinforcement that someone at a car show (a judge) will try to close the hood and break it. That OEM one is made to hold a hell of a lot more weight and I think it would severly flex the hood before starting to close, unless you pushed on the correct spot and someone unfamiliar with the car would not know...

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated, a part number or web link and I owe you a drink
I was thinking could the stock hood support be modfied by removing some of the fluid to release some stiffness. Are have no fluid in support and always lock hood, all the way back. Maybe two modified supports.

Would to custom rods install to hold front of hood , with a small keyed locks on each one ,so rods could not be moved, would ge great for car shows. Just some thoughts

Old 02-09-2012, 01:53 PM
Forum Regular

Got my hood last week. Even though it was damaged in shipping, this is a work of art. I am having it repaired, and I will soon have it on my alabaster. Thanks Med for this absolutley beautiful hood. Also, thanks for all the help in getting the FedEx claim! I can attest to this man's integrity.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:59 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by texas t
I was thinking could the stock hood support be modfied by removing some of the fluid to release some stiffness. Are have no fluid in support and always lock hood, all the way back. Maybe two modified supports.

Would to custom rods install to hold front of hood , with a small keyed locks on each one ,so rods could not be moved, would ge great for car shows. Just some thoughts
That's a really good idea. Remove the fluid and just lock it each time! Genius !!!

I worry sometimes at the dealer when I'm getting service

Old 02-09-2012, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by texas t

These struts come in a variety of sizes and forces. It's just a matter of searching for new specs.

Ideally support would be in the middle so that the sides which tend to sag would do so equally and fit at hood closure,the middle would be higher and latching would cause the sides to hit the bumpers and sit at the correct height. As a strut would not collapse and fit in the middle in this case, a removable but secure prop may be the only option here.

How much wind would it take to bend this baby when it was up?

Last edited by onehundred80; 02-09-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:05 PM

Danny,

I like the idea of two supports, one of each side, and they may even fold and fit neatly into the channels inside the fenders (have not test fit hood yet, so not sure how much room is in the channels). ALso, neither would have to large as the hood is MUCH lighter and you would have equal support, reducing the 'sag' Dave is referring to. I would hate to have my hood deform a little when it was up at a show or me working on the car, and then shut it and have it look like crap, or worse, break something...

Old 02-09-2012, 07:17 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Danny,

I like the idea of two supports, one of each side, and they may even fold and fit neatly into the channels inside the fenders (have not test fit hood yet, so not sure how much room is in the channels). ALso, neither would have to large as the hood is MUCH lighter and you would have equal support, reducing the 'sag' Dave is referring to. I would hate to have my hood deform a little when it was up at a show or me working on the car, and then shut it and have it look like crap, or worse, break something...
+1 on that, I always take the hood strut off when im not at a show or working on it. I was worried it would "deform" the hood, when the strut is on you can see a high spot in the hood.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:21 PM
Forum Regular

Last Vented hood is Gone :-)

Let me know if your interested in the 2nd prototype that's currently on my car. $350+shipping. (USED)

FYI

4 stock CF Hoods left. Send a PM if interested.

((((((Please don't Paypal me for a vented hood.))))))

Old 02-09-2012, 10:32 PM

Danny,

My hood be here in a few days, i will be taking a look!

Old 02-10-2012, 08:57 AM

I was thinking about this last night and once I get the hood on (may be at least a few weeks) I was going to go to a friends metal shop and look for a longer, slender metalic rod for each side that can easily tuck in the fender channel when not in use. I will put a small hole or bracket to fit it in, but keep it subtle. Since this will only be good for normal hood poppings, I also want to create another rod with a sleeve on the end to act as an extension, allowing me to still do the 90 degree hood pop (which I love for shows) but I need to devise a 'catch' as well because if a wind gust catches this ~15 pound sail, I would not be happy about the outcome...

Thoughts?

Old 02-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I was thinking about this last night and once I get the hood on (may be at least a few weeks) I was going to go to a friends metal shop and look for a longer, slender metalic rod for each side that can easily tuck in the fender channel when not in use. I will put a small hole or bracket to fit it in, but keep it subtle. Since this will only be good for normal hood poppings, I also want to create another rod with a sleeve on the end to act as an extension, allowing me to still do the 90 degree hood pop (which I love for shows) but I need to devise a 'catch' as well because if a wind gust catches this ~15 pound sail, I would not be happy about the outcome...

Thoughts?
PM me. I have ways...and means.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:40 AM

Thoughts?
Having a prop on both sides will have it sagging in the middle and when you close the hood it will stick up both sides.
The more vertical the hood is propped the less sag but a wind gust may try and blow it away and depending on the fitments of the rod(s) do some damage.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Having a prop on both sides will have it sagging in the middle and when you close the hood it will stick up both sides.
Can we verify this? I knew the hood would deform if held by one side only, but had NO IDEA it would deform the middle if both sides are supported. It only weighs like 15 lbs and has the exact same design as the OEM hood as far as underneath support, so I am skeptical...

Originally Posted by maxcichon
PM me. I have ways...and means.
I already owe you money, I need another sucker I can stiff

I will probably call you one of these nights over a cocktail to discuss. Valve covers going out in about 2 hours

Old 02-10-2012, 11:46 AM

Can we verify this? I knew the hood would deform if held by one side only, but had NO IDEA it would deform the middle if both sides are supported. It only weighs like 15 lbs and has the exact same design as the OEM hood as far as underneath support, so I am skeptical.
I am just going by the fact that if it sags with the strut on one side then it will sag in the middle with two struts. No proof though just a gut feel.I will not sag so much of course. The amount of sag will depend on time and temperature and a black surface will pick up more heat from sunlight.

Just my thoughts though, probably not worth 2 cents.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:27 PM

I ordered what seems to be the last vented hood on this run......

Some thought/questions.....with all the hoods now out there how about some feedback from users of the older hoods......any warping/ sagging....my guess from what I have read would be that there is not ant real issues......all that I have read from owners has been positive.

I do wonder what might happens with hoods propped open and wind.....could one or two simple supports like used to hold hoods and doors open at car shows work ??? I bet they would!!!

Thanks Med....I know this has been a lot of trouble for you and I hope this does not prevent you from using your talents for future products......I'd love to see more!!!!!

Del

Old 02-11-2012, 10:02 AM
Forum Regular

Never had a issue with sagging. The design has currently been in use going on two years with the Stock hood prop. (looks exactly the same as it did the 1st day.)

Except that I do park in a garage when working on my car....

Now I would be concerned if I had any hood propped up at 90* in a tornado

**** Don't let bird crap stay on the clear coat****

I went on travel for 2 weeks and had a problem when I retuned. It took only 5 minutes to clean, but the spot looked dull. (Wax helps )

Vented CF hoods ****** SOLD OUT******

Sold Out

Originally Posted by papas34
I ordered what seems to be the last vented hood on this run......

Some thought/questions.....with all the hoods now out there how about some feedback from users of the older hoods......any warping/ sagging....my guess from what I have read would be that there is not ant real issues......all that I have read from owners has been positive.

I do wonder what might happens with hoods propped open and wind.....could one or two simple supports like used to hold hoods and doors open at car shows work ??? I bet they would!!!

Thanks Med....I know this has been a lot of trouble for you and I hope this does not prevent you from using your talents for future products......I'd love to see more!!!!!

Del

Last edited by Mad_Med05X; 02-25-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:04 PM
Forum Regular

349295d3.jpg
8915ddd5.jpg

I have 4 OEM CF hoods that are ready to go.

$649 + shipping.

25 Lbs lighter

Send me a PM with your contact information.

Thanks,

Med

Thanks,

Last edited by Mad_Med05X; 02-25-2012 at 05:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Vented Carbon Fiber Hood Design Status