Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.
View Poll Results: Would you be
I'm interested in purchasing this Carbon Fiber hood for the Crossfire in a forum bulk buy!
84.13%
That design is beautiful, but not my style!
15.87%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Vented Carbon Fiber Hood Design Status

Old 06-05-2010, 01:06 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Vented Carbon Fiber Hood Design Status

Originally Posted by dinasrt
Our hoods are sealed at the rear w/ rubber gasket for keeping the water out; but isn't this also to prevent heat and engine compartment smell/fumes from being sucked into the cab fresh air intakes? Is this an issue or non-issue with the new hood? Also want to congratulate you on an outstanding project, it looks stunning! And props to Moparrbust for the inspiration(if your still following this thread... I do like your vents better too. Do you get excess heat/smell in the cab with yours when you have the cab air blowing?) Inquiring minds want to know. Bob
The rubber Gasket has nothing to deal with cabin air. I've been driving her for about a month with cold fresh air and a cool engine bay. With the daily temp over 90, it's nice to see the heat mirage / waves while I drive!

Last edited by Mad_Med05X; 06-05-2010 at 01:10 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:16 PM

I have not visited the Forum in awhile and can't believe what an "Outstanding" job has been done on the development of this Carbon Hood...!!!! Congrats! to all involved in the development.....Regards, Kevin P.S. Count me in as a buyer!!!

Old 06-10-2010, 06:21 AM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Talking Re: Vented Carbon Fiber Hood Design Status

From early on I have pulled the Front and Rear rubber gaskets off to allow more cooling. Did that before I developed the super cooler and other ideas. There was no reason to eliminate the free passage of air, allowing better cooling and cool down when sitting. Woody Iam all about keeping the engine cool.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:26 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What we gained from our intakes - we took away from "air flow" engine cooling..

There is no free lunch....only opportunity costs...(i.e. the flapper)

Intake1.jpg

Intake2.jpg

Old 06-11-2010, 12:57 AM
Forum Regular

Ummm. Ok

So, by the way the vents are on schedule to arrive on the 17th to the supplier.

Thanks
Med

Last edited by Mad_Med05X; 06-11-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:39 AM
Forum Regular

Update:

The vent designs are in work! I will provide pictures after they are added to the mold!

The Slotted rear hinge has also been completed on the next design to allow the rear section of the hood to be adjusted by 1/4 inch for a perfect fit.

Thanks,

Med

Old 06-29-2010, 01:33 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any new pics? Was the existing hood at the CAA event? Anyone have opinions on it if so?

BoilerUpXFire, did you ever finish your intended write-up?

Old 06-29-2010, 08:58 PM
Old 06-29-2010, 09:07 PM
Forum Regular

Hmmm i like this. A little bit. How much?

Old 06-30-2010, 12:51 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mad_Med05X
Update:

The vent designs are in work! I will provide pictures after they are added to the mold!

The Slotted rear hinge has also been completed on the next design to allow the rear section of the hood to be adjusted by 1/4 inch for a perfect fit.

Thanks,

Med
I told everyone the new design "Final design" is currently in work. It will have an updated vent design and adjustable rear hinges. Thanks for all the prototype pics Texas T!! You can check the it out on this video at the CAA parade ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB_zG...=youtube_gdata

Stay posted. July 15th

Last edited by Mad_Med05X; 06-30-2010 at 12:56 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:29 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fitment over the headlight looks a little off to me , ? but the hood still looks good ....

Howard.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:41 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hcarter
Fitment over the headlight looks a little off to me , ? but the hood still looks good ....

Howard.

The hood stoppers allow the front to be fully adjusted.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:06 PM

Looking good, looking good.

I for one could stand an even taller cowl induction, don't know if it's just me and my style but I've always liked cowl style hoods. If there was any way to make it even a half inch or so taller I would love this hood even more than I already do (which is a lot by the way).

Old 06-30-2010, 12:31 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BLK04LMTD
Looking good, looking good.

I for one could stand an even taller cowl induction, don't know if it's just me and my style but I've always liked cowl style hoods. If there was any way to make it even a half inch or so taller I would love this hood even more than I already do (which is a lot by the way).
I personally like how it still have a sleek Euro look. Plus another 1/2 inch would require a new mold design = $2,000. I'm already redesigning the old mold to accommodate a new vent design.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:46 PM

I personally like how it still have a sleek Euro look. Plus another 1/2 inch would require a new mold design = $2,000. I'm already redesigning the old mold to accommodate a new vent design.
Yeah I completely understand, just voicing my own personal taste. I had no expectations of a re-design based on my opinion, like I said I love the hood the way it is. Great job.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by billvp
Any new pics? Was the existing hood at the CAA event? Anyone have opinions on it if so?

BoilerUpXFire, did you ever finish your intended write-up?
Bill, you caught me slacking off, new house and landscaping is cutting too far into my XF time, and to be completely honest, I thought more people who went to CAA would comment on it as well.

First off, I like the hood.... a lot. Med has really done a tremendous thing for all of us seeking another option for a hood. The CF is good quality and it looked good, but I saw it at night, so in the sun is the only place IMO for a good inspection....

With that being said, there were definitely a few things that would make me shy away from this hood, but most of them are hopefully getting taken care of in the new revision.

There are two things that stick out IMO. First, the hood does not meet the front fascia correctly on either side of the grill. I know it has been said that you can lower it with the hood stops, but if you lower it that much to where it should be, it will sit below the tops of the fender making that gap look silly. Picture below with area highlighted. Second, the hood is too tall in the rear, but as stated, this should be fully adjustable in the production one, so hopefully that will not be an issue.

To be completely honest, I would need to see a finished revised hood - installed - to decide whether or not I would bite on this.

Med, I hope you can understand I am not trying to put you down or this hood, just saying further investigation is necessary, as with anything I am going to spend over $1K on

Edit: I am not sure where we left off with the vents, but the ones on the hood I saw were plastic, I think it would hold up much better if it were some sort of metal. An off course rock on the highway could easily crack that plastic and refitting may be next to impossible if it is a molded in piece.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:19 PM
Forum Regular

The old vent design mesh was metal. The new vent design will be made into the mold. As far as the old vent being made out of a composite instead of metal, I can say that would be nice to get metal vents, but that would drive cost through the roof. The hood front is fully adjustable, and the rear will also be corrected in the final design.

Thanks
Med

Last edited by Mad_Med05X; 06-30-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The old vent design mesh was metal. The new vent design will be made into the mold. As far as the old vent being made out of a composite instead of metal, I can say that would be nice to get metal vents, but that would drive cost through the roof. The hood front is fully adjustable, and the rear will also be corrected in the final design.

Thanks
Med
Med can you give me a round about cost. Just a round figure that we can shoot for? Beautiful design btw

Old 07-02-2010, 01:03 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Thirteendog
Med can you give me a round about cost. Just a round figure that we can shoot for? Beautiful design btw
I would love to give a figure, nevertheless, the last time I gave a figure the prototype ended of needing a little more work (OEM Latch redesign, Vent redesign, hood hinge redesign). I would prefer to nail the final design down and get a fully qualified prototype that meets all the design specifications before advertising the final price. So that we all walk away happy with a quality product!

Thanks
Med

Old 07-02-2010, 01:26 PM
Forum Regular

Hey Mad, really nice to meet you and your fiancee in St. Louis My son is still shaking his head at your "Cadillac" story. And thanks a ton for setting up and running the timing at the race track.
Beautiful hood.

Quick Reply: Vented Carbon Fiber Hood Design Status