Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.
View Poll Results: Would you be
I'm interested in purchasing this Carbon Fiber hood for the Crossfire in a forum bulk buy!
84.13%
That design is beautiful, but not my style!
15.87%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Vented Carbon Fiber Hood Design Status

Old 05-30-2010, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Vented Carbon Fiber Hood Design Status

I had a dream of a sweet semi-stock hood that could seperate us from our Sebring. Then I joined this forum and I came across this thread saw the progress of mad med and jut have to say thanks for all the hard work guys

Old 05-30-2010, 05:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by McHammer
I had a dream of a sweet semi-stock hood that could seperate us from our Sebring. Then I joined this forum and I came across this thread saw the progress of mad med and jut have to say thanks for all the hard work guys
C'mon, you should know by now... Can't Touch This, na na na na na na na na na, Can't Touch This...

...sorry, couldn't resist. glad to see more interest in the group buy, hopefully we can get enough to knock down the group buy cost to $1000

Old 05-30-2010, 05:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just rented a 2010 Sebring. They got rid of the strakes on the hood.

Originally Posted by McHammer

Old 05-30-2010, 07:26 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The vents look much better (read: symetrical) in these new pics. You need to get the replacement hood, paint it and get that beauty in a nice light environment for some pics...... that is going to look KILLER!

Old 05-30-2010, 07:33 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I really like the hood but why can't we get a few clear pictures in full light without shade, darkness, shadows etc.? I want to see the underside too. How much does it weigh? It's light weight doesn't do it for me anymore. I keep pinching myself to be sure I'm awake and this hood exists but the pictures I've seen so far are just a tease. If I'm to seriously consider buying one I need to see a lot more than teaser pics.

Les

Old 05-30-2010, 09:17 PM

Here is a jag sc vent in chrome .

Old 05-30-2010, 11:10 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by velociabstract
I really like the hood but why can't we get a few clear pictures in full light without shade, darkness, shadows etc.? I want to see the underside too. How much does it weigh? It's light weight doesn't do it for me anymore. I keep pinching myself to be sure I'm awake and this hood exists but the pictures I've seen so far are just a tease. If I'm to seriously consider buying one I need to see a lot more than teaser pics.

Les
I will take more when I get back home.

FYI

Those pics were taken with $1000 camera. Those pics are 10x better then the others. The camera back at home will not take pics like these. What is it that you don't see / have not seen? I have a photo shoot for a magazine coming up. Those might be better, besides that, I will work on finding a perfect shot, but the car creates it own shadows.
This is not a tease, it's the real thing..
As far as the vents are concerned, I have a smaller mesh design on deck if the other design is not possible.

Last edited by Mad_Med05X; 05-31-2010 at 12:27 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:43 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by velociabstract

Les
+1 on the jag vents. When i said this thing was a fraction of the stock hood i wasn't joking. It has to be 1/3-1/4 of the stock hood. You could lift this thing with your pinky.

Wish it was painted as well i always thought un-painted carbon fiber was too busy.

Last edited by ProjectMayhem; 05-31-2010 at 12:45 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:27 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Sorry about the impatience, I'm usually not that way. I hope you understand, sorry. But, when you can, take the time please. It's a big risk for me to bring a hood to P.R. in the first place (shipping and shippers) and I want to be positive of what I'm buying. (That doesn't mean it has to be perfect, just that I know)

Les

Old 05-31-2010, 08:29 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Med, if you tried to call me, I couldn't make out the message...I got a really bad sunburn on the Harley ride Sat....so, it has kept me out of the sun the rest of the weekend...I am moving around this morning, Monday...which I would presume you are headed back to MO....if not, I am home...give me a call....Sorry I missed you...

I just read back through the thread...I am again sorry I missed you, and will see it in MO>...at CAA...busy weekend...Saturday after Harley ride burned me pretty good...by Sunday afternoon, I was just sitting in the shade drinking beer and listenin' to the race...missed your call, and the voice mail wasn't very clear...so my fault I missed to meet up with you....hope you enjoyed the race, sounded like a good one on the radio...

Last edited by oledoc2u; 05-31-2010 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:01 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
Med, if you tried to call me, I couldn't make out the message...I got a really bad sunburn on the Harley ride Sat....so, it has kept me out of the sun the rest of the weekend...I am moving around this morning, Monday...which I would presume you are headed back to MO....if not, I am home...give me a call....Sorry I missed you...

I just read back through the thread...I am again sorry I missed you, and will see it in MO>...at CAA...busy weekend...Saturday after Harley ride burned me pretty good...by Sunday afternoon, I was just sitting in the shade drinking beer and listenin' to the race...missed your call, and the voice mail wasn't very clear...so my fault I missed to meet up with you....hope you enjoyed the race, sounded like a good one on the radio...
Sounds Good!

Old 06-04-2010, 10:42 AM
Forum Regular

The hold up is due to the vents. I'm still waiting for the vents to ship. As far as the current design, I'm extremely happy with it. Every time I stop at a light, I can see the heat waves leaving the engine bay.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:42 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
+1

Mad, I have your cell number, but like I said, my and the girl are headed to the lake to play in the boat and leaving Saturday. If you will be around Saturday, I will alter my plans accordingly to meet up, but if you will not have time, I do not want to alter my plans. Thanks Mad.
Let the guys know your thoughts!

I will weigh the hood today after work!

Last edited by Mad_Med05X; 06-04-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mad_Med05X

Med, thanks again for letting us take a look. I will attempt a write up of what I saw and post hopefully within a few days, very busy weekend ahead. If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me as well as I have taken a GOOD, LONG look at this thing...

Old 06-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad_Med05X

Our hoods are sealed at the rear w/ rubber gasket for keeping the water out; but isn't this also to prevent heat and engine compartment smell/fumes from being sucked into the cab fresh air intakes? Is this an issue or non-issue with the new hood? Also want to congratulate you on an outstanding project, it looks stunning! And props to Moparrbust for the inspiration(if your still following this thread... I do like your vents better too. Do you get excess heat/smell in the cab with yours when you have the cab air blowing?) Inquiring minds want to know. Bob

Old 06-04-2010, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by dinasrt
Our hoods are sealed at the rear w/ rubber gasket for keeping the water out; but isn't this also to prevent heat and engine compartment smell/fumes from being sucked into the cab fresh air intakes? Is this an issue or non-issue with the new hood? Also want to congratulate you on an outstanding project, it looks stunning! And props to Moparrbust for the inspiration(if your still following this thread... I do like your vents better too. Do you get excess heat/smell in the cab with yours when you have the cab air blowing?) Inquiring minds want to know. Bob
While I can not speak directly for Mopar, I believe he started with an OEM hood, so there is a good chance he still has those rubber pieces intact....

Old 06-04-2010, 06:24 PM
Forum Regular

Even though it may not quite be the same, I have been running with the rear gasket removed and do not get any fumes/smells from the engine compartment whatsoever.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
While I can not speak directly for Mopar, I believe he started with an OEM hood, so there is a good chance he still has those rubber pieces intact....
The rubber gasket is on the body, below the hood, (not part of hood). The elevated cowl directs engine compartment heat directly at the cab intake. I understand heat removal being the whole idea w/ the new hood (besides how great it looks), just wondering about the cab air. Perhaps the escaping heat goes up and over the fresh air being sucked in; I don't know. Bob

Old 06-04-2010, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by SRT-6 Steve
Even though it may not quite be the same, I have been running with the rear gasket removed and do not get any fumes/smells from the engine compartment whatsoever.
Good to know... Thanks. I may try that; We don't take it out in the rain anyway!

Old 06-04-2010, 06:51 PM
Talking Re: Vented Carbon Fiber Hood Design Status

I have removed the front and rear gasket and drilled about 15 3/4 in holes thur under side of hood to let heat out. Have never notice any smells etc Danny

Quick Reply: Vented Carbon Fiber Hood Design Status