Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.
View Poll Results: Would you be
I'm interested in purchasing this Carbon Fiber hood for the Crossfire in a forum bulk buy!
84.13%
That design is beautiful, but not my style!
15.87%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Vented Carbon Fiber Hood Design Status

Old 05-18-2010, 06:46 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Vented Carbon Fiber Hood Design Status

Originally Posted by Mad_Med05X
I'm actually working on that now! We are trying to get a flush vent design with the layers. That's the hold up. Those vents by themselves are over 300 a piece. Nevertheless, we will see what happen. If not, its a $300 mod, and the hood is 999.. If someone have Jag vents to send...That would help.... I bet you cant get anyone to fork 300 bucks away to finish it up .... FYI...I'm out 3 Grand. I'm trying my best.
Mad_Med,
All the vent options aside.. am I reading this statement correctly, that the hood is $999(or xxx) and the vents are an additional $xxx?? Or is the hood price including the vents pictured in you first article? Any other vents would be additional?

If vents are additonal cost, we can put what we want on at our cost. ..Cool...

Just trying to be clear....

Old 05-18-2010, 07:39 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeR
Mad_Med,
All the vent options aside.. am I reading this statement correctly, that the hood is $999(or xxx) and the vents are an additional $xxx?? Or is the hood price including the vents pictured in you first article? Any other vents would be additional?

If vents are additonal cost, we can put what we want on at our cost. ..Cool...

Just trying to be clear....
well, I going to "vent" here....jk....being around trucking and knowing the experience you just had w/ shipping....I may have missed this part, but where are they manufactured or being shipped from...I just might want mine picked up....I could live with any vent...and I do understand what John is saying...if you are customizing your car, you want your look...and there are a lot of vent options out...especially in the local salvage yard...anyway, where are they being shipped from...

Old 05-18-2010, 07:46 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As of right now the design will be $999 + shipping for just the hood. Now if the vent design change, the overall price may also. Nevertheless, if the vent design remain the same, people that want a jaguar vent will have to buy them. FYI , they are pretty $$$. So I'm working on my end to see what I can do to keep the price low and make everyone happy

Old 05-18-2010, 08:12 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mad Med,
Not to confuse you or anyone else, I was merely stating that if the design was going to change slightly then here are some alternatives/things to think about. That was it. I really like the look of the hood. I was not trying to imply that the XKR vents needed to be an option.

I do agree with you that flush mounted vents would look better. From your pics the only other thing that threw me off slightly was the vents look shorter and wider than the Moparrbust hood that we keep comparing it too. With that said the lighting has been off in the pics so far and I have an old monitor as well, so take my opinions/comments with a grain of salt.

I hope that clears things up. What you have done is fantastic!

Cheers,
KrzyFast

Old 05-18-2010, 09:03 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KrzyFast
Mad Med,
Not to confuse you or anyone else, I was merely stating that if the design was going to change slightly then here are some alternatives/things to think about. That was it. I really like the look of the hood. I was not trying to imply that the XKR vents needed to be an option.

I do agree with you that flush mounted vents would look better. From your pics the only other thing that threw me off slightly was the vents look shorter and wider than the Moparrbust hood that we keep comparing it too. With that said the lighting has been off in the pics so far and I have an old monitor as well, so take my opinions/comments with a grain of salt.

I hope that clears things up. What you have done is fantastic!

Cheers,
KrzyFast
+1, Like I said, I am in for a hood no matter what. My .02 was just that. Don't let any of this stress you. Thanks again for your hard work.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:06 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

This is at the upper end of my budget and I want to have it. Any change that ups the cost will put me out. Would I prefer a different vent? I won't know until I see it on my car.

Les

Old 05-18-2010, 09:31 PM

That's funny you asked...Your right!! I actually adjusted the hood stop today! Extra clean fit now... My friend pointed the adjusters out last night.

Glad I could be of service haha, and as for all the comments on the vents, I personally love this hood exactly as it is and wouldn't change a thing about it. When I thought about differant style hoods for the XF and was researching it (with no results I might add) I had this exact idea in mind, as well as maybe a more OEM look without the lines but with EVO style vents.

Anyways long story short, I WILL be purchasing one of these hoods, and can not wait to install it.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:15 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KrzyFast
just thought of something. Rather than purchase these vents for a pattern, does anyone know someone with a 2007 or later jag xkr that wouldn't mind letting someone take some measurements and an outline of their hood vents? Would Moparrbust mind for that matter giving Mad Med the measurements and an outline of the vents to incorporate into his design?

I don't know if this would work, it is just a thought.

KrzyFast

The XKR vents I use/used are off a 2009 Jag and I paid less than $90 for the pair brand new from the stealership..............not $300/each as mentioned by others. As far as my letting someone borrow them that took my idea/design and slightly modified it and gave me NO credit what-so-ever for this "new" custom CF hood design..............that's not gonna happen. Pony up the extra $90 to complete the forgery or just find a Jag in the parking lot and measure it for free.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:29 AM
Forum Regular

Point taken.

FYI, no one is taking credit for your idea of splicing the Jaguar hood skin onto the crossfire. This hood you see was also a custom development. it's basically a stock hood with a raised middle section, which is carbon fiber. Every step of the design process is outlined in this thread. I appreciate everything. All Im doing is trying to help out the crossfire community with a hood design we all felt was nice. Please, stop the PM's about what to do and how to do it. We are working to get this design complete. If anything, PM me if you have any issues that are pressing related to availability. So.... Let's get back to work and stop will the BS

Thanks
Med

Last edited by Mad_Med05X; 05-19-2010 at 12:56 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Point taken.

FYI, no one is taking credit for your Jaguar hood idea. This hood you see is custom, and it is also carbon fiber. I appreciate everything. All I'm doing is trying to help out the crossfire community. Please, stop the PM's about what to do and how to do it. We are working to get this design complete.

Thanks
Med

I know it's custom...........my custom idea with slightly offset smaller fatter crooked vents that are set back farther on the hood. I have no problem with anybody liking and/or using my ideas and designs but I do appreciate credit when it is due. There is no way your design is sheer coincidence to my design which was put into reality over a year ago(and started taking shape in late 2008). I don't want any money and applaud you for sticking your neck(and pocketbook) out to make an aftermarket hood a reality(but secretly wish it was something that wasn't soooo close to my design). Also, I sent NO PMs at any time to you about anything.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:07 AM
Forum Regular

What is the issue man? No one is taking credit for it. FYI, I said I would try to develop something like it long ago after people asked if you would make a mold of yours for us. So obviously, we gave you credit then, and I aslo gave credit on many thread pages when I said it should look similar to a hood we have all seen that we all loved on this forum. But just like any development, we did not know how good it would turn out. And this CF design looks hot. I'm actually happy with the hood the way it is. A couple of our friends on the forum want the jag vents. Look, credit has never been an issue. As far as a PM, I have over 10k views, I was talking to the community about bs messages VS messages that are constructive... I never asked for anyone help, so please don't get mad at Mad_Med05x for something someone else asked you, said, or requested. I've been dealing with these guy since I started this thread, so please let it go.

FYI, my hood design is finished and on my car. So, I can either wait on another, or get my money back for the drop during shipping. The community want change from the new Sebrings. You have yours, I have my change, what about them?

Can't we all just sing a song

So, while we wait on a new design update guys..... How about those STL. Rams?

Thanks
Med

Last edited by Mad_Med05X; 05-19-2010 at 01:40 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:17 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm, the Rams kind of suck (ok, ok, disregard the "kind of"), but the Cardinals are good

So assuming all goes well and the group buy happens, what kind of warranty are these going to have, and is the warranty going to be through the hood maker? I'd like to see the warranty, and have it shipped along with the hood.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:37 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FYI, my hood design is finished and on my car.
Is there any way to get some hi res pics posted or emailed?? I may be missing something, but some good pictures out in the sunlight showing some light coming off this hood from different angles would be really nice (and possibly clear up the misconceptions with the vents being non-symmetrical)

I know you probably do not have a lot of time and other things keeping you busy, but GREAT pictures of this thing need to be available before people will spend $1000 for a hood.

THANK YOU AGAIN MAD_MED!!

Old 05-19-2010, 09:58 AM
Forum Regular

...... ......,

Last edited by Mad_Med05X; 05-19-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:02 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
Is there any way to get some hi res pics posted or emailed?? I may be missing something, but some good pictures out in the sunlight showing some light coming off this hood from different angles would be really nice (and possibly clear up the misconceptions with the vents being non-symmetrical)

I know you probably do not have a lot of time and other things keeping you busy, but GREAT pictures of this thing need to be available before people will spend $1000 for a hood.

THANK YOU AGAIN MAD_MED!!

Better pics are on there way. If anyone locally want to check out the hood and help validate the design give me a call or send a PM.

Thanks
Med

Old 05-19-2010, 10:22 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by billvp
hmm, the Rams kind of suck (ok, ok, disregard the "kind of"), but the Cardinals are good

So assuming all goes well and the group buy happens, what kind of warranty are these going to have, and is the warranty going to be through the hood maker? I'd like to see the warranty, and have it shipped along with the hood.
Warranty?

What is there to put a warranty on? I have never seen a company put a warranty on a aftermarket hood. We will test fit each and every hood (FYI.. Each hood will come from the same mold). If someone car get hit, or a tree fall on it, that's not the hood fault, we should contact our insurance company. The customer will not get a hood that does not meet spec. How do you put a warranty on a fender that has been fit tested?

I will check, but as of right now the only type of warranty is based on if the hood does not fit..

billvp hmm, the Rams kind of suck (ok, ok, disregard the "kind of"), but the Cardinals are good

Hey... they not that bad!

Last edited by Mad_Med05X; 05-19-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:50 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mad,
The typical warranty would be on materials and workmanship. Basically that the part will not fall apart, peel, separate, etc. It is a warranty of there workmanship and materials used, fit and finish..

Old 05-19-2010, 01:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow this is a good thread, a little something here for everybody. It’s like the two friends going out for lunch and one guy orders the meatloaf with mashed potatoes and corn, his buddy says to the server, I’ll have the same thing as my buddy, but instead of meatloaf could I have the roast beef, and French fries instead of the mashed potatoes and green beans in place of the corn.

Well then saying that, I’ll have my hood with NACA scoops instead of the Jag units, and could I get the pattern to run crosswise instead of up and down? Darn good looking hood no matter whose scoops are in it.

Now about those hood wings ....?

Old 05-19-2010, 01:50 PM
Received 607 Likes on 402 Posts

The dimensions of our hood will always be the same.

The concept of vents in a hood is not exactly "new."

Use of another manufacturers existing component in a modded part is not "new"

If I order custom wheels like some other's have, does that somehow "steal" their idea?

So how does creating a hood that fits our cars with common component invade anyone else's creation?

Nonsense.

Mad-med, you did the work here and set up for a group buy. Good for you. Now put me on the list for one of these bootleg copies.

BTW, I want a different vent in a slightly different location. Any idea who's "idea" will I be stealin'?

roadster with a stick

Old 05-19-2010, 02:02 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MikeR
Mad,
The typical warranty would be on materials and workmanship. Basically that the part will not fall apart, peel, separate, etc. It is a warranty of there workmanship and materials used, fit and finish..
That's More like It! Workmanship / Quality! Yes!

vpats "Two Super Sized NACA scoops instead of the Jag units coming up"!Would you like fries with that?
Franc Rauscher "Thanks for the note"

Last edited by Mad_Med05X; 05-19-2010 at 02:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Vented Carbon Fiber Hood Design Status