Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

LED running lights (Audi replicas)

Old 05-10-2011, 01:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: LED running lights (Audi replicas)

Hi, Im trying to install the led in my headlights as well. Im having trouble getting the head lights out tho. How did you open the headlights to put the L.E.D.s inside? Thanks.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NattySway
Hi, Im trying to install the led in my headlights as well. Im having trouble getting the head lights out tho. How did you open the headlights to put the L.E.D.s inside? Thanks.
The lights are sealed, so unless you cut them apart, you aren't putting anything in there. Most people have used a pressure fit by inserting them between the lense and the bumper housing below it. Good luck

Old 05-11-2011, 07:08 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would pay $100 to prevent these LED eyebrows from being added to my car. Seriously, I think this is one horrible styling decision that Audi made. To me they look completely Ricer / Pep Boys. I was never a huge fan of Audi styling but these things put Audi in the same zip code as the latest Acuras for me. LED running lights? OK, they're bright and they're energy efficient and they're very durable. An excellent technology choice for a daytime running light. But do they have to look like something from the trim a tree aisle at Walmart?

Just one guy's opinion.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:26 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Darticus
Really only looked for conversation from some members. Like in conversation.
You have done all you can to make an *** out of me. I really don't care what you want, I wanted to ask some people questions. I hope the same attitude you gave me hits you at some time. You can take your private site and do with you want with it! Its too bad we have a Gestapo here!
Darticus, is this your first time on an internet forum? Because it's not a Crossfire Forum thing. Forum etiquette generally dictates that before you waste people's time asking questions that have already been answered you at least take a look to see if your question is old news or some new twist that hasn't been addressed.

The same thing applies to creating a thread. If long time members have answered the same question a dozen times it is less likely they will feel like responding to the 13th iteration of the question being posed by someone who appears too lazy, dumb, or rude to use a cursory search.

And once again, forum etiquette generally dictates that you stay on topic out of respect to the OP and the other people interested in that topic. You don't jump into a discussion of headlights with a question on dent removal. Would you do that in a face to face conversation? If so, I bet you get some funny looks from people before they ignore you and continue their conversation.

It seems like you were not aware of the poor manners you were exhibiting. A little courtesy will do wonders for you.

Last edited by Spudracer; 05-11-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
The lights are sealed, so unless you cut them apart, you aren't putting anything in there. Most people have used a pressure fit by inserting them between the lense and the bumper housing below it. Good luck
You have to be kidding me? I tried everything. I even baked them in the oven for a half hour and still nothing! Im not cutting them open.. No way. But I would really love to have them. Im so disappointed. Thank you so much for the reply tho.

One thing I dont understand is I see people with them tho. How did they do it and I cant? They must have them on the outside right?

Old 05-13-2011, 08:23 AM

You have to be kidding me? I tried everything. I even baked them in the oven for a half hour and still nothing! Im not cutting them open.. No way. But I would really love to have them. Im so disappointed. Thank you so much for the reply tho.

One thing I dont understand is I see people with them tho. How did they do it and I cant? They must have them on the outside right?
You put headlights that cost over $500 a piece in the oven? If you would have read the NUMEROUS threads here with others that have tried this, you would know its not possible. Not trying to be a 'told you so', but saying that searching is easy and saves lots of time and money. With the age of the car, there is very little someone has not tried. In a 5 second search I came up with this:

Credit where it is due to Nox1s

"I wish I could say I did something fancy, extravagent, and hard, but I didn't. It's really easy.

I bought two 19inch LED strips, the ones encased in silicon, white in color (Flexible LED Strips)

I had to cut about an inch and a half off of each one, because it went up to high and I didn't like the look and they kinda didn't fit.

What I did to mount them since it was so cold out is kinda just brute force.. there is enough room to shove them in between the gaps of the lights.. and on the sides where it's REALLY tight you can use a razor blade or file to shave some silicon off (won't hurt the light at all).. then proceed to shove in the space again..

Wiring them was also easy as well, I used T-Tap connectors to tap into the existing parking light wires, so that way I can control them from the interior cabin. I originally bought a switch to wire inside my car but I think this way is easier and looks a lot cleaner, they now come on whenever I turn on the parking lights and stay on for another ~10 seconds when I lock the car / shut it off / shut the door and exit, until all the lights turn off, looks really cool."

Hope this helps

Old 05-13-2011, 12:28 PM

You put headlights that cost over $500 a piece in the oven? If you would have read the NUMEROUS threads here with others that have tried this, you would know its not possible. Not trying to be a 'told you so', but saying that searching is easy and saves lots of time and money. With the age of the car, there is very little someone has not tried. In a 5 second search I came up with this:

Credit where it is due to Nox1s

"I wish I could say I did something fancy, extravagent, and hard, but I didn't. It's really easy.

I bought two 19inch LED strips, the ones encased in silicon, white in color (Flexible LED Strips)

Excuse me, but I did search for it. As a matter of fact not only did I search this site but others as well. There's people who have done it. For me it was just becoming a hassle and I chose to stop before I did more damage then good. That search you sent me I read already but I didn't want to mount them on the outside for fear that they look cheap. So don't worry about being a "I told you so kinda guy."
I had to cut about an inch and a half off of each one, because it went up to high and I didn't like the look and they kinda didn't fit.

What I did to mount them since it was so cold out is kinda just brute force.. there is enough room to shove them in between the gaps of the lights.. and on the sides where it's REALLY tight you can use a razor blade or file to shave some silicon off (won't hurt the light at all).. then proceed to shove in the space again..

Wiring them was also easy as well, I used T-Tap connectors to tap into the existing parking light wires, so that way I can control them from the interior cabin. I originally bought a switch to wire inside my car but I think this way is easier and looks a lot cleaner, they now come on whenever I turn on the parking lights and stay on for another ~10 seconds when I lock the car / shut it off / shut the door and exit, until all the lights turn off, looks really cool."

Hope this helps

Excuse me, but I did search. As a matter of fact, not only did I search the xfire forum but other sites such as YouTube as well. There are people who have done it. For me it was just becoming to much of a hassle and I felt I was about to do more damage then good. And that search you sent me I already read. I just decided not to mount them on the outside for fear of it looking cheap. So now you don't have to worry about being a, "I told you so kinda guy."

Old 09-02-2012, 08:22 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

They apparently allow jerks on this forum because we help people, why don't you take that attitude to another car forum you lazy a$$.

How many, my friend, have you helped?? Have you ever driven over 100 miles for someone on this forum because they needed someone to look at a car for them, because I have. Have you ever spent hours on the phone with another member assisting with a stereo install over 1000 miles away, because I have. How many people have you assisted with LED lighting issues or wheel and tire fitment issues

Before you call anyone jerks, look at your posts. You came into the forum and started 10+ new threads ABOUT THINGS THAT HAVE BEEN DISCUSSED TO DEATH, FOR 5+ YEARS. I tried to be nice and several times suggested you use the search function, but you did not and continued to create threads. Then instead of reading a whole thread, you post in the bottom and say 'bottle feed me the info I am too lazy to look for'. Well, I am sick of it, I am sick of people who do not help themselves. This place is a resource, not a free place to take advantage of the generosity of other members.

So if I am a jerk, then you need to grow a little thicker skin....

AND USE THE *darn* SEARCH FUNCTION!!!!

Where have I seen this speech before? And I thought I was just special..

Old 09-02-2012, 11:16 PM
Forum Regular

Wow, those look fantastic. Great job man!

Old 09-03-2012, 08:18 AM
Eco
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Often it's not what you say but most importantly how you say it . This is forum for individuals who share a common interest so please take the emotion out more so the anger and let's all act like adults, let's continue to share.

Read the threads and post your questions accordingly, use the search it does help.

Don't yell at people because they don't , take the matter outside the thread , deal with it via PM's.

Everybody involved, GROW UP.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:01 AM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Originally Posted by Eco
Often it's not what you say but most importantly how you say it . This is forum for individuals who share a common interest so please take the emotion out more so the anger and let's all act like adults, let's continue to share.

Read the threads and post your questions accordingly, use the search it does help.

Don't yell at people because they don't , take the matter outside the thread , deal with it via PM's.

Everybody involved, GROW UP.

I'm sure you realize that this argument is now 15 months old and the posters have moved on.

Here is another thread on a simple DIY LED daytime running light installation:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ng-lights.html

Old 09-03-2012, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by SparkieSRT6
I'm sure you realize that this argument is now 15 months old and the posters have moved on.

Here is another thread on a simple DIY LED daytime running light installation:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ng-lights.html

Echo's of Christmas past...

Old 09-03-2012, 12:51 PM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts

Excuse me, but I did search. As a matter of fact, not only did I search the xfire forum but other sites such as YouTube as well. There are people who have done it. For me it was just becoming to much of a hassle and I felt I was about to do more damage then good. And that search you sent me I already read. I just decided not to mount them on the outside for fear of it looking cheap. So now you don't have to worry about being a, "I told you so kinda guy."
If you want to be really inventive in trashing the $500 each headlights, you could drill evenly spaced holes the size of an individual non-surface mount LED all around, then put the LED's in with some silicone sealer and wire 'em up in parallel with the proper resistor
to a switched power source from the fuse box.

Personally, I think the Audi look sucks on a non-Audi, but then that's just my opinion.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alaxfire

Personally, I think the Audi look sucks on a non-Audi, but then that's just my opinion.
More and more car companies are doing it these days OEM - Porsche (yes, part of the VW family just like Audi, but still) Mercedes Benz (didn't they have something to do with a car we all know and love?) and even a few of the Japanese imports. It's no longer just an Audi thing. Funny, though, how nobody else directly copied BMW's Angel Eyes.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:37 PM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike-in-Orange
More and more car companies are doing it these days OEM - Porsche (yes, part of the VW family just like Audi, but still) Mercedes Benz (didn't they have something to do with a car we all know and love?) and even a few of the Japanese imports. It's no longer just an Audi thing. Funny, though, how nobody else directly copied BMW's Angel Eyes.
You have a point there Mike, but IMHO it still sucks ......

Old 09-04-2012, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Where have I seen this speech before? And I thought I was just special..
I am shocked you are trying to throw gas on a 15 month old fire, good luck with that

Old 09-04-2012, 11:12 AM

I am shocked you are trying to throw gas on a 15 month old fire, good luck with that
Gas? I doubt the original poster that received that speech is around to comment.. Just got a kick out of seeing the same speech to someone else.. Look hard.. you'll see the humor.. Well okay maybe you won't..