Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Check these out

Old 12-08-2009, 12:21 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Check these out

I havent gotten mine yet and so havent looked closely to see where to mount them.... I did get my LED yesterday... only ONE....they forgot to put two in the package and now I have to wait for the second one........ the resistors aren't here yet, so I guess it's no big deal...

Old 12-08-2009, 12:59 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the info. I have ordered two and they will go well with the 55W halogen back-up lamps that I have installed on all my cars including the Crossfire.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hcarter
Just recieved the resistors ,does anyone know if I can mount these in the trunk as long as they are in the right wiring , they may heat up a little and i dont want them against any thing Thoughts please ??

I have only one suggestion and that is NOT to use the blue wire locks ! Eventually they loosen and you will have issues with flickering lights or lights out all together. Better to clip the wire, solder the joints together and use shrink wrap on the joint.
Just my Dos Centavos !

Old 12-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Stogey
I have only one suggestion and that is NOT to use the blue wire locks ! Eventually they loosen and you will have issues with flickering lights or lights out all together. Better to clip the wire, solder the joints together and use shrink wrap on the joint.
Just my Dos Centavos !
My plans exactly ..

Old 12-08-2009, 03:21 PM

Up date on the resistor install for tag Hid's ,,Left hand side no problem easy to get to the plug (even with my big fat hands ) right hand side is another matter though . I had to remove the light assembly ( because all of the lock assembly wires etc are on that side ) it really does pop out ( flat head screwdriver working gently all the way around housing ) and then it's a snap to get to everything for install of resistors .....Here are some pictures with everything taken apart . too many things going on tonight to wire it up so looks like it will be tomorrow night ,Also i need to figure where i'm going to put the resistors ( several places look pretty good ) .....Ideas

Last edited by hcarter; 12-08-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:12 PM

Howard,
How about some good double sticky tape on the bottom of the resistor and tuck them up on the body in those 'pockets' below the lights? Out of site and not flopping around.

edit: I guess it would technically be above the lights....

Old 12-09-2009, 09:51 AM

Mike , I was reading a note on the instilation sheet that said these can generate heat . to place away from plastic or painted surfaces I'm thinking about bolting them on small alluminum pads and then using 2 emblem tape ..,And yes the open pockets are the perfect place.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:40 AM

Yep, that is why they have big heatsinks... The small pads are a good idea. Mount them on the inside of the pocket, not the outside. Then you wont have to worry about any discoloration, if there is any. Or put a piece of heat insulation between the body and heat sink and screw them down. It is going too be covered by the window trim, so there should be room for the screws and they will be covered.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:43 PM

Got the resistors installed and they work fine no Bulb Out indicator now,,,, all is fine ,They do get pretty warm but as long as they are placed in the right location that shouldnt be a problem ,,,I have taken some pictures of where they are mounted but for some reason when I try to upload them i get a error code 127 sent a message to CF.ORG
As soon as i'm able I will share the pics......
Howard

Old 12-11-2009, 11:34 PM

I got my second LED and the resistors too. I will do mine this week end.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:14 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I made two aluminium housings that replaces our heat cracked plastic tag lights. When using a single 3/4" diameter LED light for each side,the light out would stay on. Throwed'em in the dumpster. Sooooo I then made up a dual angled housing fitted with two 3/4 red LED's for each side. No light out indicator now and no resistors! Even though they're out of sight,I painted the aluminium housings to match the car. Just to look cool when the trunk is open. Looks like the back of the car is on fire with the 4 LED's shinning thru the cold exhaust moisture. Should have a very long life being there rated for 14 volts and pull .05 amps each. Used on new18 wheeler's for marker and clearance. 3/4 " sealed 1 diode pattern. Truck-Lite 33250R Model 33. Squirrel Crusher

Last edited by Squirrel Crusher; 12-12-2009 at 12:17 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:03 AM

Squirrel, lets see a pic of those housings.....

front, side, top and bottom...with dimensions.. ;-)

Old 12-13-2009, 03:01 PM

Here is a couple of the pictures ,,,,,location of resistors mounted up under panel wired in

Old 12-15-2009, 06:28 PM

I got my LED's plate lights installed and turned them on..... no light... Pull LED and check voltage, yep 13V....hmmmm..... Oh yeah, this is NOT a light bulb. Turn LED end for end and plug back in.... dang..those are bright!

Howard, I was trying to figure out why your hatch looked different than mine. Then I checked your signature and see you have a roadster. I was able to mount my resisters on the back side of the frame. Drilled a .136" hole(6-32) in the frame, tapped the resister mounting hole for 6-32 screw and then used blue loctite on the screw. I think I will add some heat shield to the outside surface of the hatch above the resistor. Those are even hotter than I thought they would be. There is plenty of room around the resistor where I have it mounted, but I would like some insurance on the outer surface for my paint. I'll post pics when they fix the gallery.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:45 PM

COOL I 'm glad you got them going , They do look nice don't they ,,yes the mounting on mine was pretty simple. There's a nice air gap under them with the light housing ,AND yes they do get pretty warm ...You can post the picks in your picture albums over at CICCI and link them back here Pics load fine over there ,,,I would like to see the mounting....

Howard

Old 12-15-2009, 07:37 PM
Old 12-16-2009, 07:32 AM

Nice job Mike .....I like the mounting with bolts now on to a new project