Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

wiring up a rear fog light

Old 11-19-2009, 05:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default wiring up a rear fog light

ELOJR has a euro spec rear taillight assembly, not sure if hes going to sell yet but I was wondering if it would be possible to make it work. Its appairently an ordinary light but the reverse lamp is red...for the european spec rear fog light I figure I can hook up a small toggle switch in the cabin, get power from (splice) the rear parking light and just run it to the back up/fog lamp. This way the back up lamp would still illuminate when car is in reverse, albiet it will be red, but also illuminate when toggle switch is activated.

thanks

Curtis

Last edited by green-ghost; 11-20-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:58 PM
Default Re: wiring up a rear fog light

I went ahead and installed sylvania Silverstar 7506 bulbs and they do seem a little bit brighter. Now Id like to ask anyone that has access to a wiring diagram... what color wire carries juice to the d/s rear parking lamp? Or anyone know a link that has our wiring diagram?

Thanks
Curtis

Old 11-20-2009, 09:03 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sticky on SRT6 forum..... all documents...

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ollection.html

Old 11-21-2009, 05:43 AM

Thank you, funny I always do a search and sometimes its right there. I did download onehundred80's link http://www.majormotorshotrods.com/_d...ice_Manual.pdf took quite a while but its worth it

I'll post pics of this mod to help the next person

Old 11-21-2009, 07:35 PM

I talked with our maintenance tech at work about splicing from side marker or tail light to the d/s back up bulb and rnning it all from a seperate switch. He mentioned the possibility of a back flow of power from the splice, up the car's origional reverse circuit wire. He said to install a diode between the splice and the origional reverse wire...upstream so to speak.

I have a basic electronic understanding but am unfamiliar with diodes and such. Guess Im gun shy because of all the car's computers etc. Any input would be appreciated.

Also, am I correct that the light out warning lamp wont tell if a reverse bulb is out?

Thanks

PS BTW...Im eyeballs deep in xf wiring diagrams which I am learning as I go, like learning algebra in one day. Forgive the barage of questions

Last edited by green-ghost; 11-21-2009 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

It is really easy actually. You need to diode isolate the light bulb by taking a diode and putting it on the positive side of the light bulb between the car and the other power wire you have coming in for the fog light switch.
Code:
diode-------------------------------,
                                              V
backup light 12vdc -------------===----+-------tail light---------------ground(-)
                                                        |
fog switch 12vdc--------------------------'

Old 11-23-2009, 07:22 PM

thank you!!!! thats the exact info Im looking for! One last question....is there a specific type of diode or are they all the same for a 12v application?

Old 11-23-2009, 07:22 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If anyone has wireing questions please direct the questions to rcompart. "Wireing extraordinaire"

Old 11-25-2009, 11:17 PM

heres some pics, Ill add info later

most 7.5 fuses are on when lights are on so no worries that you could accidentally leave the rear fog on. Im using a 2amp inline fuse cause thats all I had lying arond

Check depth of toggle. theres a small rectanglar opening next to the car's light switch and a misaligned toggle switch may prevent the panel from popping back into place.

I used a stone grinding cone to make short work of the plastic...actually got it lined up ok

be careful running it up here, the seaatbelt swivel get close but no big problemo. pull kick panel and run wire up to fusebox

1/2 way done, theres 3 bolts adjacent to the fuse box for an easy ground point, you can see my black wire going up behind the weather stripping to them

a 3 amp diode given to me by friends at a stereo shop

Rear wiring splices brn is power to rev light, white is to toggle switch, diode wired in with crimp connectors.

Hey, it works...now to wait for european tail lamp with red rev light!

Last edited by green-ghost; 11-26-2009 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:15 AM

super huge thank you for everyone who helped me with this mod as Ive learned alot by the help given. Id hate to imagine owning my XF without this forum.. Happy Thanksgiving

my helper, Leo says thanks too and is relieved I took the sign off him

Old 12-02-2009, 05:53 AM

bump...Received my euro taillight from EOLJR (Thanks ) Quickly ran out to the garage to get it installed. In my haste I put the power to the wrong side of the diode dud, took me a bit of head scratching to finally figure THAT out. Shows to go ya that haste does indeed make waste. With paitence and a new toggle switch, burnt the old one out some how, its good to go. I'll post some pics today after work. Again, thanks to everyone for help with this mod

Curtis

Old 12-02-2009, 07:50 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up Re: wiring up a rear fog light

Originally Posted by green-ghost
Id hate to imagine owning my XF without this forum.. Happy Thanksgiving
I was wondering how you fared with this. Good for you.

The real reason I'm posting in your thread is a comment on your comment.

With the pittance of concern for our cars at the dealerships, this forum IS the beacon of light in a stomy night for many. I try to add as much info as I can when I find a way to improve the ownership experience for everyone.

I'm happy to see you join the ranks of contributors! Thanks for the post.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:21 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ELOJR has a euro spec rear taillight assembly, not sure if hes going to sell yet but I was wondering if it would be possible to make it work. Its appairently an ordinary light but the reverse lamp is red...for the european spec rear fog light I figure I can hook up a small toggle switch in the cabin, get power from (splice) the rear parking light and just run it to the back up/fog lamp. This way the back up lamp would still illuminate when car is in reverse, albiet it will be red, but also illuminate when toggle switch is activated.

thanks

Curtis
The install looks very clean. I just wonder if you couldn't have utilized the existing fog lamp switch instead of installing another switch. There's 2 detents (1st is for the front fogs 2nd is for the rear) when you pull on the fogs.

You can see the extra provision for the indicator lamp (see attached).

Old 12-04-2009, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by msheredy
The install looks very clean. I just wonder if you couldn't have utilized the existing fog lamp switch instead of installing another switch. There's 2 detents (1st is for the front fogs 2nd is for the rear) when you pull on the fogs.

You can see the extra provision for the indicator lamp (see attached).

Correct, it seems as if its ready to hook up but fuse#12 has no internals, and I also found no indicator light either (below the sm green one for fog) The rear wiring harness L/R, also lacks any wiring for the fog light. there is a brown wire which is looped from pinout #5 to #6, if I remember correctly. Its a close but no cigar thing.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:11 PM

OK this project is done! Here are some pics of the final deal along with one of my newly installed GAP chrome side strakes

you can barely notice the l/r reverse light isnt the same color as r/r

Close up of it on in daylight, its as bright as a brake light and contrasts nicely to the dimmer parking lights.

Getting chrome fever!!

Old 12-04-2009, 04:15 PM

Please tell me you didn't put a Ford Escape emblem on your car.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by rcompart
Please tell me you didn't put a Ford Escape emblem on your car.
Nope, thats a special edition v6 emblem made exclusively for blaze red coupes that I got on ebay for 50 bucks Actually found them in a flea mart for 1.50 and thought, ok. Was later on I discovered that they are ford. They do get lots of positive comments at shows though.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:08 PM

Nope, thats a special edition v6 emblem made exclusively for blaze red coupes that I got on ebay for 50 bucks Actually found them in a flea mart for 1.50 and thought, ok. Was later on I discovered that they are ford. They do get lots of positive comments at shows though.
Guess you get a free pass then.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:40 PM

What's the point of a rear fog light? Just curious? If it's standard equipment in Europe it obviously would have a purpose... or at least one would think it would.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:42 PM

So the person following you can see you and where the center of the road is. It's always on the same side the lane divider or line is on.

Quick Reply: wiring up a rear fog light