Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Do you like your light up door guards?

Old 11-18-2009, 05:37 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you like your light up door guards?

Got a fair deal from a local Chrysler dealer. 398 + 100 to buy and install. Is this a well worth it product and is it well made. Any complaints?????? Thanks Ron

Old 11-21-2009, 09:00 AM
Default Re: Do you like your light up door guards?

I love mine! Got a great deal from Wyckoff Chrysler for 250.00! They had one left and trying to clear out some stock! I put them in myself and have to admit it was kind of a hassle having to take everything off to get to the wiring behind the seat, but it was all good in the end! One of the lights stopped working right when I put it in but it has a 1 year warranty on it, so my local dealer swapped it out for me! They couldnt believe I got it for that much when I showed them the invoice! They had it listed for like 520 bucks! Mikenewb

Old 11-21-2009, 09:36 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I love mine. I can only imagine they are going to get more expensive and harder to find as time goes on.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:04 AM
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Have them on my coupe. Wish I had an extra $400 or so to buy a set for the roadster.
Go for it! An early Christmas present to your self!
You deserve it!

Old 11-21-2009, 12:42 PM
Bat

Dealer already "pimped my ride" prior to me buying her...not something I would have thought of spending the money on BUT since she already had 'em...I love 'em. Very sharp at night, makes me grin every time I open the door. Perfect color, totally cool. If you want them and can afford it, go for it.

I haven't had a problem with them other then they wouldn't turn off for awhile there - part of the whole car electrical system breakdown routine I went through, not the fault of the light kit itself. Long story short - 11k+ in parts alone (under warranty) of the electrical system was replaced (some things multiple times). Again, not the light kit itself failing.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well worth the money! It's worth the look on folks faces when you open the door at night.

Old 11-21-2009, 03:30 PM
Forum Regular

Fantastic! Now to ask Santa! I'm pushing it! Are the lights or bulbs replaceable? Thanks guys, I'll try to go for them. I know Santa is bringing the Wind restrictor and brake module!

InfernoRedXfire Says it all!

Old 11-21-2009, 05:39 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikenewb
I love mine! Got a great deal from Wyckoff Chrysler for 250.00! They had one left and trying to clear out some stock! I put them in myself and have to admit it was kind of a hassle having to take everything off to get to the wiring behind the seat, but it was all good in the end! One of the lights stopped working right when I put it in but it has a 1 year warranty on it, so my local dealer swapped it out for me! They couldnt believe I got it for that much when I showed them the invoice! They had it listed for like 520 bucks! Mikenewb
Any pics of your install? That would be great to see to understand it. I'm gonna try to photo every step and post. Thanks Ron

Old 11-21-2009, 06:00 PM

I like them a lot I got a set real cheap not long after the drives side stopped lighting up which sucks because you have to replace the EL tape in it and the center of the R's fell out kinda made me mad but I still love them

Old 11-22-2009, 08:34 AM
Forum Regular

I just got a Chrysler dealer to send me the directions for the install of the light-up door guards. They look crazy but after an hour I figured it out. I think the only thing is how do you get the seat backs to go forward like that? Ant thoughts? Any comments on what the directions are showing might be helpful for me or others. Do I want Chrysler to do that or do I attempt it??? All interpretations will be helpful! Ron

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
crossfire.pdf (498.2 KB, 31 views)
Old 11-22-2009, 10:23 AM

just use your your electric controls on the seat to push it all the way up and then forwad, unscrew the plastic edging on the door jam, and wire bundle is right there! I just used those plastic 3M wire splices (gotta love them) on the wires. I cheated a little getting the other wire to the drivers side. I only pulled back the passenger side carpet. I did the ol metal clothes hanger mod with the wire taped to the end and went right under the console behind the carpet and push it to the bottom edge of carpet behind the drivers seat. Once you get it there, you can run the wire under the edge of the carpet at the very bottom to the drivers sill. The carpet is stiff down there, but with a little pulling and pushing it fits in there like a champ! Cant see it al all all the way to the sill! Good luck!

Old 11-22-2009, 02:36 PM
Forum Regular

just use your your electric controls on the seat to push it all the way up and then forwad, unscrew the plastic edging on the door jam, and wire bundle is right there! I just used those plastic 3M wire splices (gotta love them) on the wires. I cheated a little getting the other wire to the drivers side. I only pulled back the passenger side carpet. I did the ol metal clothes hanger mod with the wire taped to the end and went right under the console behind the carpet and push it to the bottom edge of carpet behind the drivers seat. Once you get it there, you can run the wire under the edge of the carpet at the very bottom to the drivers sill. The carpet is stiff down there, but with a little pulling and pushing it fits in there like a champ! Cant see it al all all the way to the sill! Good luck!
Thanks for the info! Did you take any photo's? Would you have paid $100.00 for Chrysler to install them or is it an easy job? Ron

Last edited by Darticus; 11-22-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:31 PM

Well, now that I know how to do it, I wouldnt pay it..It you dont mind spending a afternoon doing it and like tinkering, I go ahead and do it yourself. actually the hardest part was cutting into the wiring bundle covering and finding the correct wires, other than that its pretty straight forward using the instructions it comes with..I forget now, but theres a link on the forum someone tells the correct wires to find.. Im sure someone will let you know! :-) Thats the great thing about the forum! All the knowledge on here about the Xfire!

Old 11-23-2009, 10:19 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, now that I know how to do it, I wouldnt pay it..It you dont mind spending a afternoon doing it and like tinkering, I go ahead and do it yourself. actually the hardest part was cutting into the wiring bundle covering and finding the correct wires, other than that its pretty straight forward using the instructions it comes with..I forget now, but theres a link on the forum someone tells the correct wires to find.. Im sure someone will let you know! :-) Thats the great thing about the forum! All the knowledge on here about the Xfire!
He is right about the bundle of wires, I gave up after 20 minutes of searching and just pulled the trim off the passenger side pillar. I found the dome light wire in the pillar and tapped into it. Took me about ten minutes to route the wire up the pillar and splice it. Save yourself the headache and splice into it at the pillar location.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:25 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by crossfirefrank
He is right about the bundle of wires, I gave up after 20 minutes of searching and just pulled the trim off the passenger side pillar. I found the dome light wire in the pillar and tapped into it. Took me about ten minutes to route the wire up the pillar and splice it. Save yourself the headache and splice into it at the pillar location.
Can you add a little more info to the pillow wire. Do you take the pillow off? Is there screws, and is the only one wire in it and is it the correct one? Than you need to ground the other 2 brown wires on the light.
In the instructions, I posted above, it shows the correct colored wires to tap into at the harness. It was brown and gray left side to brown of lights which should be a ground. Brown pink right side to brown of lights which should be a ground and black yellow white to red of lights which should be positive.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:55 PM

Pillar suppose to just pop off. I had a hard time trying to take mine off. Was afraid I was going to crack the pillar, so I went back to the wiring harness behind the passenger seat. Lights came with a red and 2 browns. Tie one brown into the brown/pink, the other into the brown/gray, and the red into the black and yellow with white stripes in the harness. Youll have to dig for them, but they in there! I used a flashlight to shine directly on the wires to see the colors better.. Maybe Im getting old and eyes not too good anymore but worked for me! :-)

Old 11-23-2009, 03:08 PM
Forum Regular

Pillar suppose to just pop off. I had a hard time trying to take mine off. Was afraid I was going to crack the pillar, so I went back to the wiring harness behind the passenger seat. Lights came with a red and 2 browns. Tie one brown into the brown/pink, the other into the brown/gray, and the red into the black and yellow with white stripes in the harness. Youll have to dig for them, but they in there! I used a flashlight to shine directly on the wires to see the colors better.. Maybe Im getting old and eyes not too good anymore but worked for me! :-)
Old, tell me about it!
I think both the brown and pink and the brown and gray in the harness are both grounds. If this is true why don't we connect both browns from the lights to either of these? The other black yellow white is the positive. Do you agree with this.
How hard was it to remove the panel behind the seat to get to the harness? Did you remove it or just move it around? I think I would try to use wire connectors so I don't have to solder. Ron

Old 11-23-2009, 03:24 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: Do you like your light up door guards?

Originally Posted by Darticus
Got a fair deal from a local Chrysler dealer. 398 + 100 to buy and install. Is this a well worth it product and is it well made. Any complaints?????? Thanks Ron

They are well worth it, but I would shop around at other Chrysler dealers or online. I purchased mine back in 2005 for $190.00 plus one half our labor to install, total cost about $250.00.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:30 PM
Forum Regular

Only problem in checking around for price is that this dealer would install their product for 100 dollars. If I get a better deal I would have to install myself. With all the help I'm getting on this forum I might just install them. Ron

Old 11-23-2009, 04:47 PM

I moved around it. I did everything possible to get to the harness and not take something off! :-) I was thinking the same thing on the brown wires, but I think theres a good reason why you need to do them seperate. Dont know whay but Im sure there is..:-) The brown with pink stripe goes to the passenger door and brown with gray goes to the drivers.. Oh, yeah like I said before, I just bought those blue wiring splices to dio the wires. lot easier.Just make sure you got a good crimp on both the wires..

Quick Reply: Do you like your light up door guards?