Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

headlamp assembly

Old 11-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlamp assembly

hey guys I have a 2004 crossfire.I have the foggy headlights in the inside and was going to buy some new ones. my question is if I buy a 2006 or 07 headlamp assembly would it fit?

Old 11-05-2009, 06:45 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: headlamp assembly

Any year assembly will fit just fine, BUT if you just have moisture (condensation) problems, there is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) for this and a kit is available from Chrysler to fix it.

TSB: 13-Jan-05 - 08-002-05 - Lighting - Condensation in Headlamps

Take this number to the Chrysler parts department and ask them for the repair kit.

The kit costs ~ $25 and it consists of 4 new rear covers for the bulb access holes and 2 or 4 new vent covers for the corners. You can install it in 5 minutes, but you should drive out the existing moisture before doing this.
If you go this route, have them print out the installation instructions that the tech would use. You can use a heat gun (carefully) to dry out the housings instead of the battery charger/leave lights on overnight route.

Hope this helps, I did it and it worked great!

I'm going to ask to have this made a STICKY because I'm tired of explaining it over and over....

Old 11-05-2009, 06:57 PM
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Hey Max, $25 for 4 new dust covers and vent caps might sound like a lot but here in Canada the TSB kit is $31 and you only get 2 dust caps (the new vented style) and 2 vent caps!

Old 11-05-2009, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by bluecoupe
Hey Max, $25 for 4 new dust covers and vent caps might sound like a lot but here in Canada the TSB kit is $31 and you only get 2 dust caps (the new vented style) and 2 vent caps!
So far as I know you can cross the border and get many more benefits than just the dust caps!

Tell them you are a political refugee and they will provide you with a 7-11 franchise and a new persona!

Hey, SA, I'm just trying to help a few folks out here-and am tired of answering the same query over and over....

No one else will.

Sorry to be wasting your valuable time.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Any year assembly will fit just fine, BUT if you just have moisture (condensation) problems, there is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) for this and a kit is available from Chrysler to fix it.

Take this number to the Chrysler parts department and ask them for the repair kit.

The kit costs ~ $25 and it consists of 4 new rear covers for the bulb access holes and 2 or 4 new vent covers for the corners. You can install it in 5 minutes, but you should drive out the existing moisture before doing this.
If you go this route, have them print out the installation instructions that the tech would use. You can use a heat gun (carefully) to dry out the housings instead of the battery charger/leave lights on overnight route.

I'm going to ask to have this made a STICKY because I'm tired of explaining it over and over....
i appreciate the input. there were a couple of other factors of going with the new headlight housings. other then the foggy headlights, that i did not mention earlier, because i was in a hurry. but thank you anyways.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:27 AM

If they are getting foggy and hazy from sun damage, it would be worth a try at re-conditioning them. There is a thread on using the 3M Headlight restoration (search) kit-read it. I've become pretty darned good at this. I did my sons' '97 Lincoln Town Car and they were just awful. Had to start with 240 grit to remove the damaged surface and work up to the 500 that the kit starts with. It might save you a heckuva' lot of cash.

I'm just sayin'...

DIY: Headlight Lens Restoration / Polish - bimmerfest - BMW Forums

If you have the time, there is a great pictorial guide to doing this. It was on one of the BMW forums.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:28 AM
Forum Regular

I know as a forum we have beaten the horse to hamburger regarding the hazzy headlights but I wanted to comment. I also used the 3M Headlight restoration kit over the weekend and my lens look like are nearly new. I will attempt to post pictures but for anyone that wants to refinish their lens this is a good way to go.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:16 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

spray clear coat on them or they will go bad again in a month or two.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:06 PM

I had the foggy hazy headlights. They felt rough and crackled. I found the 3M Headlight restoration kit and the look like new. This was for the outside though, not inside.

Not bad for $20 kit and 2 hours of time. Pickup up kit at Autozone but saw it at Walmart too.

Here's a link to the kit and video by 3M: Restoring a Headlight 3M

Here's some before and after photos. The overcast day put a grainy look to the after shots but they're shiny and way better than before!

Old 11-30-2009, 05:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Maxcichon for the fogging light info, mine does that somewhat and I'll get a kit from my local dealer. My younger brother does the light polishing for a living and mine look new from his handywork. He puts a clear epoxy on them after he is done to make it last longer.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by maxcichon

Hey Max, if I went to a Chrysler dealer would they let me purchase this TSB kit for myself?? My headlights aren't messed up yet, but I lost the caps on the back.. If i could pay the $25~ to get 4 (or 2?) caps.. that'd be awesome and i'd be willing to do it!!

Old 11-30-2009, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by nox1s
Hey Max, if I went to a Chrysler dealer would they let me purchase this TSB kit for myself?? My headlights aren't messed up yet, but I lost the caps on the back.. If i could pay the $25~ to get 4 (or 2?) caps.. that'd be awesome and i'd be willing to do it!!
It's just another part for them to sell. Mine just told me to walk to the parts counter and ask for that TSB kit and: Voila! it was ordered and came in 2 days later.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:27 AM

does any one know of a blowup of headlight assy

Old 01-04-2010, 08:38 AM

I have the condensation issue with one of my headlights that I must resolve by the end of the month for inspection. Can you (or anyone) share more details about how to get rid of the condensation that is inside the housing? I heard heatgun (carefully) and leaving lights on. Also, should I attempt to take the entire housing off of the car? Is that something that can be easily done?

Thx!

Old 03-10-2010, 04:02 PM

No that is not very easy to do. I've also got condensation in my driverside headlight Hopefully I can burn it out and it won't come back.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:50 PM
Default My Days are clearer, my nights are brighter...

When I read about the headlamp lens reconditioning process, I put it on my list of things I MUST do. I bought a kit from Advanced Auto for $9.99. Made by Kit Wax, it contained 3 sand pads with two sides on #1, two sides on #2 and one pad with one side #3 and one side #4. One bottle of polishing compound and one bottle of spray lubricate to be used with the sanding pads.

My results were pleasing.

First Image is before beginning the process.

Second Image: Taped off to protect paint surfaces.

Third Image: Cleaned the lens and started process with #1 Pad and spray lubricate.

Fourth Image: Washed and wiped off, repeated again as needed in certain areas, then wiped off again followed by #2 rubbing in opposite direction, followed by #3 pad again in opposite direction and finally #4 pad (always using spray lubricate) and last using the polishing compound and buffing by hand.

Fifth Image: My final result. I also followed the process by putting a coat of wax to help protect as directed by instructions included with the kit.

Last Image: So far so good. Well see how long it last.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF0408.jpg (63.8 KB, 170 views)
DSCF0412.jpg (95.4 KB, 101 views)
DSCF0414.jpg (102.8 KB, 87 views)
DSCF0415.jpg (95.0 KB, 98 views)
DSCF0417.jpg (89.7 KB, 124 views)
DSCF0423.jpg (85.6 KB, 155 views)

Last edited by CaptDave; 03-14-2010 at 11:06 PM. Reason: deleted links not needed for images
Old 03-15-2010, 08:22 AM

Nice job!

But I have never seen them haze on the bottom of the lens.

Was your car left upside-down for a long time?

Just kiddin'!

Old 03-16-2010, 12:52 AM

That is strange that the bottom of the lens was the cloudy part and not the top. Never could fiquire that out. Seems backwards to me too. Oh well, would be interesting to know what might could be the reason, hopefully, it was not sitting on its roof before I became the new owner!

Old 05-04-2010, 11:31 PM

Here's a question. My headlamps are looking pretty good right now. But, I've noticed some tiny nicks and pitting. Do I just wait and do a restoration when it gets worse or is there something I can do to keep it from getting worse?

Old 05-06-2010, 06:43 AM

sun screen. try a wax or a plastic conditioner that has uv protection. I use a light scratch polish from time to time too.

Quick Reply: headlamp assembly