Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Wind restrictor wiring

Old 10-30-2009, 07:13 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind restrictor wiring

Anyone have this in your car. Anyone know how hard is it to connect to the lights. Is it better to use the battery they sell with it? Is it easy to install??? Thanks Ron

Old 10-30-2009, 09:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Wind restrictor wiring

PM me I made up the original wiring instructions for this and it's quit easy to hook-up to your cars 12 volt wiring. I installed a mini togle switch on mine and FP's to manully turn it off also.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:05 AM
Forum Regular

It would be helpful to know where you find the wire connection to connect the windscreen wires to. Is there wires in the trunk. Also thinking about the light-up sills and would need to know where to get the wires to turn them on when you open the doors. Don't want to screw up the car. Any pics of wiring???? Ron

Old 10-31-2009, 10:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Wind restrictors are easy to wire. I do like the idea of a switch or resistor in the line so you could turn it down or off. At times they can be a little distracting at night, however, I like the fact they help other see you. I have one installed and I love it, i may try to put a potentiometer in the line so I can turn it up and down.
The directions with the unit are pretty good, you will be able to figure it out.

Old 10-31-2009, 03:30 PM
Forum Regular

Thought there might be a pigtail in the trunk to plug the windscreen into that would work as it was trailer lights?
Does anyone know if putting up the roof conflicks with the wind screen or does it go up and down fine with hitting it. Thanks Ron

Old 10-31-2009, 06:58 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's too bad they can only come into the forum to promote their product but don't read the posts to provide customer support:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...lable-now.html

Old 11-01-2009, 05:57 PM

Darticus,
The Wind Restrictor does not plug into a pigtail. It comes with a connector that cuts into the wiring in the trunk. You do not have to spice, it's really pretty easy.
Good Luck!

Old 11-01-2009, 06:49 PM
Forum Regular

Very Good! How do I get to the wire in the trunk? I see the red and green wire in the trunk in the photo but how do you get to it? Do you remove the carpet? Looks like maybe some round shaped carpet clips have to be pulled out? Ron

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CROSSFIRE 005.JPG (37.2 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Darticus; 11-01-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:58 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by maclovinX
The Wind restrictors are easy to wire. I do like the idea of a switch or resistor in the line so you could turn it down or off. At times they can be a little distracting at night, however, I like the fact they help other see you. I have one installed and I love it, i may try to put a potentiometer in the line so I can turn it up and down.
The directions with the unit are pretty good, you will be able to figure it out.
Any thoughts on where you can get a dimmer that will do that? Ron

Old 11-04-2009, 02:04 PM

YOU CAN GET TO ALL THE WIRES IF YOU OPEN THE TOP, AND LET THE TONNQUE COVER ALL THE WAY UP AND THEN STOP IT. ALL THE WIRES ON THE DRIVER SIDE TAIL LIGHT ARE ALL RIGHT THERE IN THE OPEN. AND NO THE TOP DOSE NOT GET IN THE WAY OF THE RESTRICTOR. THE WIND RESTRICTOR COMPANY SALE ALL KIND OF CUT OFF SWITCHES OR DAILS JUST CALL AND ASK TO SPEAK TO STEPHEN.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by theoneandonly
YOU CAN GET TO ALL THE WIRES IF YOU OPEN THE TOP, AND LET THE TONNQUE COVER ALL THE WAY UP AND THEN STOP IT. ALL THE WIRES ON THE DRIVER SIDE TAIL LIGHT ARE ALL RIGHT THERE IN THE OPEN. AND NO THE TOP DOSE NOT GET IN THE WAY OF THE RESTRICTOR. THE WIND RESTRICTOR COMPANY SALE ALL KIND OF CUT OFF SWITCHES OR DAILS JUST CALL AND ASK TO SPEAK TO STEPHEN.
Thanks! So you start to put the top up and when the section behind the seat lifts up you let the button go and you than can see the wires. I guess you than connect to the red or green wire or both if you buy the brake module. Thanks Again Ron

Old 11-04-2009, 11:08 PM

I HAVE MINES WIRED TO THE TAIL LIGHT. ITS A RED WIRE ON THE TAIL LIGHT JUST TAP INTO THE WIRE AND WHEN YOU CUT ON THE LIGHTS IT WILL COME ON. YOU CAN ADD A INTERUPTER SWICTH TO THE RED WIRE COMMING OFF THE WIND RESTRICTOR TO CUT IT ON OR OFF WHEN YOU HAVE YOUR LIGHTS ON AND DON'T WANT THE RESTRICTOR ON.

Old 11-21-2009, 03:14 PM

remember also that after so long with the ragtop cover up like that, the hydralics will release and close the top. put something to prop it up to hold it. I made the mistake of applying my ground to large group of wires back there that were all grounds grounded by a bolt. I had the bolt out and all the wires were not grounded when the lid closed by itself. Guess what that bolt grounded? Yup! The motor to open the cover back up and the trunk lock! I had to use the special emergency tool that will manually open the ragtop cover! That little tool comes in handy! :-)

Old 11-21-2009, 03:38 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks for the great help and suggestions. I'm sure I be asking questions after Santa brings it! Ron

Old 11-21-2009, 05:32 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikenewb
remember also that after so long with the ragtop cover up like that, the hydralics will release and close the top. put something to prop it up to hold it. I made the mistake of applying my ground to large group of wires back there that were all grounds grounded by a bolt. I had the bolt out and all the wires were not grounded when the lid closed by itself. Guess what that bolt grounded? Yup! The motor to open the cover back up and the trunk lock! I had to use the special emergency tool that will manually open the ragtop cover! That little tool comes in handy! :-)
Probably won't see it until I start working on it but why does the ragtop cover have to be up? Can't the bolt with the grounds be worked on from the trunk? Wish I had some pics of an installation to show what has to be done. Ron

Old 11-21-2009, 07:58 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

it comes with instructions, so King Penn really doesn't have to monitor this site, although he does from time to time. I just wired mine to the brake light. It can be really annoying with the top up at night, unless you do as Frank did and wire in a switch. Plenty of places to tap into wiring if wiring in the switch in the tail light section. That area is not going to interfere with the top operation. Good luck

Old 11-21-2009, 11:24 PM
Former Vendor

Good evening fellas,
Thanks for all the feedback, most of you are correct, we do send out fairly easy instructions with each Purchase, if one has light mechanical or electrical knowledge it helps but is not necessary. Yes we do pay to advertise on this site and promote our products for sure, as we feel we have an amazing world class patent pending product in Roberts laser-etched and illuminated windrestrictor! and Yes we do sell switches, battery packs, and a really nice gadget called the brake light module which is all the bells and whistles....check out our site and you can see it in action! at www.windrestrictor.com also we appreciate all the open honest feedback you folks have for us as we are always open to customer feedback and appreciate kind words as well, we would love to get on here more often but so much to do and so little time!!! Merry Christmas Ron!!!! and we would love to make the rest of you good folks one of Robs finest!!!
Sincerely,
Rebekkah Pennington-
KingPenn Industries~ home of the laser etched and illuminated windrestrictor for those purdy cars!!