Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Windscreen attached directly to roll bars

Old 10-20-2009, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windscreen attached directly to roll bars

Just figured I'd share another way to attach the windscreen. Essentially flush mounted the screws into the lexan screen and through to the roll bar. Between the windscreen and the roll bar is a washer which came with a rubber washer to separate metal to plastic and to cut out all vibration noises. I am very happy with results...it looks stock IMHO.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Windscreen1.jpg (1.18 MB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg
Windscreen3.jpg (1.41 MB, 32 views)

Last edited by gunsofthenavarrone; 10-20-2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:39 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Windscreen attached directly to roll bars

I looks like it would work wonderfully.... I am sure better than my WindRestrictor. But......... Whew..... I don't know about drilling into the roll bars like that. I am just not feeling it. Maybe some screw head caps would help, but..... I don't think I could do that to my baby.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:47 PM
Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

I don't own a Roadster, but I like that idea the best so far as vibration is concerned. Its only a car, it's not a living thing, you can drill holes in it. Those bars come up for sale quite often if they every have to be replaced.

James

Old 10-20-2009, 07:54 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by James1549
I don't own a Roadster, but I like that idea the best so far as vibration is concerned. Its only a car, it's not a living thing, you can drill holes in it. Those bars come up for sale quite often if they every have to be replaced.
James
I have no problem with vibration, and I have not heard of vibration being a problem in any of the major aftermarket ones. Sure, I agree, it is not a living thing. I was not trying to elude that it was. My point was, that screws going through plexiglass into roll bars is not something that is aesthetically pleasing. In my eyes anyway. To each there own.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:24 PM

Not an engineer so those of you who are can chime in. I would think that drilling into the roll bar would potentially violate the integrity of the material and thus should you need it, it might collapse easier. Especially when you start drilling multiple holes as this screen seems to want.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:10 AM

I have the windscreen you mount using the umbrella hooks and I ended up putting some foam pieces on the back between the screen and car to eliminate the vibrations I had.

I don't know that I would go as far as drilling holes in the roll bars. I think a color matched zip tie looks better than a screw... plus if you get tired of it... no screw holes to live with.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by bmorgan
I looks like it would work wonderfully.... I am sure better than my WindRestrictor. But......... Whew..... I don't know about drilling into the roll bars like that. I am just not feeling it. Maybe some screw head caps would help, but..... I don't think I could do that to my baby.
Wasn't much of a challenge at all to drill. Simply clamped the screen in place and started with small pilot holes. Then removed the screens and finished to the hole size I needed. I like your suggestion on screw cap covers---the Key fob emblem would be the perfect size.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Erzer
Not an engineer so those of you who are can chime in. I would think that drilling into the roll bar would potentially violate the integrity of the material and thus should you need it, it might collapse easier. Especially when you start drilling multiple holes as this screen seems to want.
Will not debate whether it alter the integrity as it undoubtedly will under some extreme amount of force. I will say that I was happy to see the heavy guage used on those bars. Besides my head height is at the level of the bar so if I roll.....I'll roll all the way to my grave with or without roll bars : )

Old 10-21-2009, 10:38 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Technically, they are NOT roll bars and are not a safety item.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:13 AM

Somehow the experiance of a roadster is th wind blowing through your hair, can't immagine driving with the top down and windscreen and windows up. Might consider a good conditioner for your hair to keep out the knots.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by konja
Somehow the experiance of a roadster is th wind blowing through your hair, can't immagine driving with the top down and windscreen and windows up. Might consider a good conditioner for your hair to keep out the knots.
Well, in the winter time when you have a nice clear day and the temperature is up to 45-50, you do appreciate the windscreen (as well as the heater ).

Old 10-21-2009, 02:07 PM
Wink Re: Windscreen attached directly to roll bars

Originally Posted by itsky
Well, in the winter time when you have a nice clear day and the temperature is up to 45-50, you do appreciate the windscreen (as well as the heater ).
Sorry, but here in Galveston, Tx thats dead of winter would never take top down. Have been known to take top down with heater on full. konja