Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Rear Bumper Repair

Old 10-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Received 608 Likes on 488 Posts
Default Rear Bumper Repair

Went by the body shop today where my 07 Limited Coupe is having the rear bumper "parking lot rub" by an unknown "rectal orifice" repaired/refinished. Had to drop off the new left taillight assembly to replace the cracked one on the car. Bumper had already been removed and was in the process of getting refinished. Looked over the rear of the Crossfire - nearly brought me to tears!

Anyway, noticed that there was some accumulation of dirt, road trash, whatever stuck to the body carriage on both sides of the rear end. Not sure I know how this gets in this spot when the rear bumper is in place and the bottom fascia shield is installed. Anyone else ever seen this? Might be a potential moisture trap and future corrosion problem if allowed to continue accumulating.

Later,

Old 10-17-2009, 08:08 PM
Default Re: Rear Bumper Repair

I've had the Coupe back from the body shop for a little over a week now. Repair work went fairly smooth. I do have some assembly issues I want to have the shop go back over. Nothing serious, I'm just "picky".

I did find the PS taillight assembly cracked a few days after I picked the car up and it wasn't cracked when I dropped it off at the body shop. Turns out the guy re-assembling everything used excessive torque on the small mounting nuts that hold the taillight assembly to the body. In doing so, the taillight assembly cracked when it expanded from heat in the sun one afternoon. They've bought me another PS taillight assembly and it arrived just the other day at my house. I'll put this one back on!

Later,

Last edited by dedwards0323; 10-20-2009 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:10 PM

Spent some time this evening adjusting rear bumper fitment & alignment with rear deck. Fairly simple to do once the taillight assemblies are removed. Several Torx screws of various sizes inside the taillight area and along the top edge above the license plate area. Loosened everything up and then it was easy to re-align seams & re-tighten screws. Installed the PS taillight assembly purchased from a Louisiana salvage dealer. Had to polish it up just a bit to remove some film and surface gunk. Looks brand new again.

Have some more adjustment to the left rear quarter panel where it mates up with the wheel well liner. There is a rubber seal covering the joint seam and it should be trapped against the quarter panel inner edge to act as a water barrier. On my coupe, the rubber seal isn't trapped by the DS quarter panel near the bottom. So something ain't quite right in this fitment area. This will turn out to be a weekend task.

Later

Last edited by dedwards0323; 10-20-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:18 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So you have two cracked tail lights. Do ya think I could have one.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by cassidyrj1
So you have two cracked tail lights. Do ya think I could have one.
I still have the PS taillight assembly, which I switchd out last night. Planning to keep for electrical parts.

The DS taillight assembly I never got back from body shop. I figure by now they've trashed it.

If you're looking for taillight assemblies, I can send you a link I use to search for used parts from salvage yards. The PS taillight assembly purchasd for my coupe was $155 (incl S&H) from Louisiana salvage yard. Part was A1 condition, came with all electrical circuitry & bulbs. & tested fully functional.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 10-21-2009 at 01:47 PM.