Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

My Experience with the 3M Headlight Restoration Kit

Old 10-05-2009, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking My Experience with the 3M Headlight Restoration Kit

This is the second time I've used this kit (costs about $20 at your local parts store -- Autozone, Oreilly, etc.).

I was very impressed with the results on my old 2003 PT GT. Before the kit the headlights looked awful so I used the 3M kit which made them look brand new again! A year and a half after using the kit the headlights still looked new.

Over the weekend I decided to do the same thing to my 2006 Crossfire Coupe. The headlight lenses looked terrible and again I am extremely impressed with the finished product. The lenses look brand new again and hopefully the results will last as long as they did on my PT GT's headlight lenses.

The kit is a several step process that requires a 1200-1600rpm drill. It includes various grits of sandpaper (500, 800, and 3000 wet) that velcro to the pad that attaches to the drill. The final step is a buffing pad with 3M's rubbing compound. Be careful though and follow the instructions if you do the same because if the kit is used improperly you can damage the headlight lenses permanently.

Here are some before and after pictures... sorry for the poor quality, they are from my phone as I could not find my digital camera cable.

Before:

(the white spots are not really reflections they are spots that are so yellow you cannot see through the lens)

Beforeheadlight.jpg

After:

(Looks brand new again!)

afterg.jpg

Old 10-05-2009, 03:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My Experience with the 3M Headlight Restoration Kit

Wow!

Looks like it changed the color of your car

Old 10-05-2009, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by GDC-SRT
Wow!

Haha I wish!

The first pic was taken before I did the kit Friday night, bright and sunny. The second was taken right before I posted this. Dark, gloomy, rainy.

This inferno red does appear to change color quite a bit in different lighting conditions.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:17 PM
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Anyone know of a product that will extend this fix? Something that is UV blocking that can be applied after spending all of that time making the lense look new again?
Spray on clearcoat perhaps?

Old 10-05-2009, 03:24 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

If it weren't for the rock chips above the light, I'd have swore it was a different car! they look like brand new. How long did the whole process take you?

Old 10-05-2009, 04:08 PM

Very Nice job....I did mine last night with 3M 1500 grit and Plastx....pics in gallery.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by rcompart
If it weren't for the rock chips above the light, I'd have swore it was a different car! they look like brand new. How long did the whole process take you?
It took me about an hour. I was extremely careful to follow the directions and take my time, as I didn't want to pay an outrageous price for new lenses! I cannot stress enough how easy it would be to seriously damage your lenses if you do not read the instructions with the kit and take your time. But don't let that scare you, the kit is very easy.

When you get the the polishing process at the end it gets a bit messy though! The polishing pad with the drill throws the 3M rubbing compound all over the place so wear some old clothes.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:08 PM
Administrator
Received 965 Likes on 752 Posts

That "after" picture is really something.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:45 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by scrible
It took me about an hour. I was extremely careful to follow the directions and take my time, as I didn't want to pay an outrageous price for new lenses! I cannot stress enough how easy it would be to seriously damage your lenses if you do not read the instructions with the kit and take your time. But don't let that scare you, the kit is very easy.

When you get the the polishing process at the end it gets a bit messy though! The polishing pad with the drill throws the 3M rubbing compound all over the place so wear some old clothes.
I've used the 3M kit to repair 5 sets of headlights (different cars) and have to say:

it's so easy a caveman could do it. (GOD, I hate those commercials).

Following the directions, and WATCHING THE VIDEO on the 3M website or youtube makes it much simpler and answers questions before you ask them. All of my results have been fantastic, and I went so far as to order the 25 or 50 packs of the discs. I figure at $30 a set for folks I like and $50 for those I am only willing to take money from will pay for an interesting mod or two.

In the instructions they mention clearing the paper while sanding with the 500 and 800. Do this often-it prevents buildup of the plastic dust and that stuff will melt and burn the lens.
Go slow-it's not a race. Use alot of masking tape. 3 layers minimum. I used a plastic spray bottle to keep the 3000 Trizcut pad lubed-very important.

Use the SMALLEST drill you can find. I had a 1/2" DeWalt XL and it's very hard to control something that heavy. And awkward. I used a small Souix 45 degree 1500 RPM plug-in that makes life much better.

I give this kit a 5 star and a thumbs-up.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:56 PM

i really want someone to do this for me....every time i do this to my lights it looks nice, until it rains and it goes back to being dull

Old 10-05-2009, 09:30 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I did mine two weeks ago with the 3M kit and they now look like brand new. I have also been in a coulple of storms and two car washes. I did have some problems with the first step as the paper seemed to stop cutting and had to be cleared. I think the real problem with our stock lights is the clear coat which goes bad. I kept sanding until they were opaque white and all the clear coat was gone. To do this I found it easier to finish the first step by hand and not on the dril. three layers of tape and keeping the spay bottle spaying it a very good tip. While our head lights seem to suck, there is now excuse to have them looking bad with the 3M kit available.l

Last edited by LantanaTX; 10-06-2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:04 PM
Administrator
Received 965 Likes on 752 Posts

Our headlights suck?

Mine outshine my pickup a bit and my van by a LOT.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:37 PM

I think LantanaTX meant the quality of the plastic, not the overall design. I've really been looking at the designs on different cars since I had mine replaced a year ago, and so far as I can tell, if it has a surface that points up-it will degrade over time, no matter the manufacturer. Volvos, Toyotas of Hondas, they all seem to get the crud at the top first if they aren't taken care of. Cleaning and waxing etc...

I had Xpel film installed on mine when they were replaced 12 months or so ago, and they still look like new. $35. I hope it wasn't another waste of cash but it can't hurt. Xpel says the film is UV resistant.

Hope so...

And in reference to the first paragraph-more and more headlight housings have more and larger exposed surfaces. In 2-3 years, we'll have a better idea as to quality comparisons.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by GDC-SRT
Wow!

That's the beauty of the blaze red...

Old 10-06-2009, 06:32 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by maxcichon
I think LantanaTX meant the quality of the plastic, not the overall design. I've really been looking at the designs on different cars since I had mine replaced a year ago, and so far as I can tell, if it has a surface that points up-it will degrade over time, no matter the manufacturer. Volvos, Toyotas of Hondas, they all seem to get the crud at the top first if they aren't taken care of. Cleaning and waxing etc...

I had Xpel film installed on mine when they were replaced 12 months or so ago, and they still look like new. $35. I hope it wasn't another waste of cash but it can't hurt. Xpel says the film is UV resistant.

Hope so...

And in reference to the first paragraph-more and more headlight housings have more and larger exposed surfaces. In 2-3 years, we'll have a better idea as to quality comparisons.
Yes, I was referring to the plastic. What is Xpel?

Old 10-06-2009, 08:40 AM
Thumbs up Re: My Experience with the 3M Headlight Restoration Kit

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
Yes, I was referring to the plastic. What is Xpel?
Xpel is a thick (.008") clear film, applied like window tint for headlights, fogs and painted surfaces.

Andrew (Mr. Clean) turned us on to it. Great stuff. You can put it on yourself (kit) or they will come to you and do it.

Paint Protection Film - XPEL Technologies Corp.

XPEL Head Light Protection

These guys did mine:

http://www.paintdefender.com/

I recommend them Cheap and fast. Good work!

Old 10-07-2009, 02:53 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I also used the Xpel headlight protection. It's been at least a year and still looks great. No more hazing and crazing. The headlight film is actually much thicker (0.030") and stiffer than the paint protection film for the other parts. It is fairly easy to install if you follow the instructions closely since you are working with relatively small pieces.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:46 PM

I have a Xpel headlight and fog light kit in blue tint for sale if anyone is interested. I ordered the clear, and blue was sent by mistake.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:11 AM

Spent a few hours on my lights today. After trying a few premium products with disappointing results..... I finally tracked down the 3M product and it ended up delivering excellent results. It's a multi-step process, spend the time at each step...and keep an eye on your protective tape for signs of wear. The finished lens will look crystal clear! Here's a before and after snap.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
01 before sm.JPG (352.4 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg
02 after sm.JPG (335.0 KB, 75 views)
Old 08-07-2012, 03:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by musicslave
Spent a few hours on my lights today. After trying a few premium products with disappointing results..... I finally tracked down the 3M product and it ended up delivering excellent results. It's a multi-step process, spend the time at each step...and keep an eye on your protective tape for signs of wear. The finished lens will look crystal clear! Here's a before and after snap.
You like the small white dots in the engine bay? I forgot to put a blanket over it aswell...

Quick Reply: My Experience with the 3M Headlight Restoration Kit