Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Fog Lamp Reflector Detatched

Old 09-22-2009, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fog Lamp Reflector Detatched

Hi Folks:
I just noticed that my passenger side foglamp reflector has fallen off and is sitting loose in the bottom of the housing. (It's a round piece about the size of a 50 cent coin).

Question is...How do I get the thing outta there?!? The bulb still lights (They are my DRL's here in Canada), but there seems to be no way that I'm gonna be able to get it through the bulb socket. Short of buying a whole foglamp assembly, does anyone have a suggestion??

Note I haven't removed the whole assembly yet, so am assuming there is no way I can dismantle it as it has been glued together as an assembly.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:51 PM
Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Re: Fog Lamp Reflector Detatched

Ron, Try a search, you will find many discussions on this fix. Basically, you remove the entire assy from the wheel well access door. Once on the bench, you release two tabs and you can pivot the inside housing around for access. At that point, you can glue the cap back on, or remove the entire cap holder to make look like an updated one. If you remove the cap holder, then you must do the other side as well so they match.

James

Old 09-22-2009, 08:53 PM

I did search first...Honest I did !!!!

I found the great "sticky" post with pics that answers my question. AND SHOWS ME HOW TO DO IT

Old 09-22-2009, 09:22 PM
Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Well I happen to have an extra set of fogs I just picked up. I took some shots of the ones I have.

Here is the fog light assy removed from the car, also the bulb is removed.

You will find two tabs like these in the photo. Using a pocket screwdriver, they can be released and gently pryed up and out of the holes.

Once the two tabs are clear, you can pivot up the assy and swing it out in the clear.

Turn it over and you are free to do what you want. Repair or remove.

If I planned to removed the caps completely, I would cut the stems with a side cutter, then go in with a dremel and smooth everything out. Maybe someone else has a better idea. I haven't kept up with all the posts about this repair. When going back together, I suggest some kind of lube on the o-ring to make it easier to reassemble. If it doesn't go in proper, you may get fogging from moisture getting in.

Good Luck, James

Old 09-22-2009, 10:02 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 629 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by BraveRon

I did search first...Honest I did !!!!
I found the great "sticky" post with pics that answers my question. AND SHOWS ME HOW TO DO IT
Yup....good thread

Fog light fix - loose caps

Old 09-22-2009, 10:30 PM

I glued my foglight cap about five months ago. The little bugger is still hanging on. No problems to date. Great thread, good advice!

Old 05-13-2012, 11:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by James1549
Ron, Try a search, you will find many discussions on this fix. Basically, you remove the entire assy from the wheel well access door. Once on the bench, you release two tabs and you can pivot the inside housing around for access. At that point, you can glue the cap back on, or remove the entire cap holder to make look like an updated one. If you remove the cap holder, then you must do the other side as well so they match.

James
Do you have a shot of an 'updated' fog lamp? I have one with 'cap' floating around in the driver's side one...and I need to do the headlight thing to both of mine...kinda pitted, they are...