Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

DIY: Window Tint Install

Old 09-24-2009, 12:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: DIY: Window Tint Install

OK, for all those naysayers... I admit defeat...

Maybe not defeat, but I forfeit either way.

The installation job I did is not terrible, it is in no way professional...

HOWEVER, I am not happy with the product, with the tint quality of the product that went on the window...definitely not 3M.

You get what you pay for.

So now, a couple things are going to happen.

1) I am taking it to a local shop this weekend and am going to pay to have it removed. For one reason because I don't like the way it looks, and also because apparently in NJ tint on your front windows is illegal...and that's all I need is more reasons to get hassled...so its coming off...
2) I will most likely get the other windows tinted this winter, but not immediately. I am going to hold off for a while until I find a really good shop I can trust to do the tint, especially the back window with the defroster lines and such.

I firmly believe the procedure is sound, but the quality of the product was really what doomed this DIY.

If anyone knows any really good shops in NJ, I am all ears.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAHANMA
OK, for all those naysayers... I admit defeat...

Maybe not defeat, but I forfeit either way.

The installation job I did is not terrible, it is in no way professional...

HOWEVER, I am not happy with the product, with the tint quality of the product that went on the window...definitely not 3M.

You get what you pay for.

So now, a couple things are going to happen.

1) I am taking it to a local shop this weekend and am going to pay to have it removed. For one reason because I don't like the way it looks, and also because apparently in NJ tint on your front windows is illegal...and that's all I need is more reasons to get hassled...so its coming off...
2) I will most likely get the other windows tinted this winter, but not immediately. I am going to hold off for a while until I find a really good shop I can trust to do the tint, especially the back window with the defroster lines and such.

I firmly believe the procedure is sound, but the quality of the product was really what doomed this DIY.

If anyone knows any really good shops in NJ, I am all ears.
Sorry to hear that..!

You should find out from friends / anyone how strict they are in NJ about their tinting laws.

Here they really don't give a crap, even though any tint besdies 4" from the top of the windows is illegal. I have mine tinted 5% all around for a while now, and I haven't been bothered one bit.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:41 AM
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Nice going Z.
I heard that they now have tint that REALLY cuts down on the heat for hot places like here.
I may have to go the route you are. Old tint off and have the Pro put on the good stuff.
Thanks for the thread!

Old 09-24-2009, 01:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tighed1
Nice going Z.
I heard that they now have tint that REALLY cuts down on the heat for hot places like here.
I may have to go the route you are. Old tint off and have the Pro put on the good stuff.
Thanks for the thread!
they do, to an extent. i believe you would have to tint the windshield to have a dramatic cooling effect. i have limo tint (the darkest you can go) and high quality on hatch, triangle windows, and driver/passenger windows... it still gets hot..

the reason? the windshield is RIGHT there, UNTINTED, and is directly going on the seats.. which = hottttt still..

just my observations

i thuoght about tinting the windshield 50% (about the lightest you can go..) so it would not make it dark, only block out the UV rays.. but have not gnoe that route yet

Last edited by nox1s; 09-24-2009 at 01:16 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:15 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nox1s
they do, to an extent. i believe you would have to tint the windshield to have a dramatic cooling effect. i have limo tint (the darkest you can go) and high quality on hatch, triangle windows, and driver/passenger windows... it still gets hot..

the reason? the windshield is RIGHT there, UNTINTED, and is directly going on the seats.. which = hottttt still..

just my observations

i thuoght about tinting the windshield 50% (about the lightest you can go..) so it would not make it dark, only block out the UV rays.. but have not gnoe that route yet
Have STRONGLY considered going this route, if you do, please let me know the results.....