Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Tail light Overlay (Black out) Question/Help!!!

Old 09-05-2009, 04:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail light Overlay (Black out) Question/Help!!!

Hey guys I have the tail lights blacked out with an ebay overlay vinyl which looks oretty nice for what I

paid(although its a 2 man job) although I wanted to have the reverse and signal lights that are originaly

white, still in white, I though at first about doing the same shape as the circle and the triangle looking shape

but it is way too hard, does anyone know if the sell black vinyl with those areas already pre-cut???

Like this Civic Si has, but with our Crossfires is what I want of course...

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/GABE/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/GABE/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by CrosstheFire; 09-05-2009 at 04:18 AM.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Tail light Overlay(Black out) Question/Help!!!

I haven't seen any precut vinyls that have thhe reverse lights cut out already. This is mainly because it is one smooth surface where as most vinyls that have certain lights cut out are because they are on different levels and not a smooth surface.

Can you send a link to the ebay item you purchased.

The place I am taking my car to do window tint says they will only paint the tail lights and that is not what I want because it becomes VERY difficult to remove...pretty much the only way to remove is to change the tail lights which is very expensive...thus I want to go with vinyl.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by ZAHANMA
I haven't seen any precut vinyls that have thhe reverse lights cut out already. This is mainly because it is one smooth surface where as most vinyls that have certain lights cut out are because they are on different levels and not a smooth surface.

Can you send a link to the ebay item you purchased.

The place I am taking my car to do window tint says they will only paint the tail lights and that is not what I want because it becomes VERY difficult to remove...pretty much the only way to remove is to change the tail lights which is very expensive...thus I want to go with vinyl.

I tried the spray first, its is a piece of crap man, its not hard to remove though, some nail polish remover

would do the trick(I just did it to my front side markers,but I would never do it to my tail lights), mainly

because it didn't look right to me so I went with these(link below) and it looks beautiful. The place were I

got my tint wanted to charge me $75 to install them, the hell with that, I did it myself with my friend(I

must WARN you, it is a TWO person job) and the materials are easy, a hair drier, water with soap, and a

little patience is all that is needed...although I realy wanted to keep the white spots on the tail light still

white...

CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE SMOKED TAIL LIGHT COVERS 04-07:eBay Motors (item 270445314583 end time Sep-19-09 11:50:13 PDT)

Old 09-09-2009, 11:37 AM

I'm not going to lie, I have painted my tail lights black as well. What you could try to do is that when you have painted them (if you want to again) and then when the paint has dried to the touch and can be handled in anyway, tape off the tail lights or cover them, and use the nail polish like you said and clean off just the reverse circles... I know that it may seem like a corny process, but that's what I would do.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by CrosstheFire
I tried the spray first, its is a piece of crap man, its not hard to remove though, some nail polish remover

would do the trick(I just did it to my front side markers,but I would never do it to my tail lights), mainly

because it didn't look right to me so I went with these(link below) and it looks beautiful. The place were I

got my tint wanted to charge me $75 to install them, the hell with that, I did it myself with my friend(I

must WARN you, it is a TWO person job) and the materials are easy, a hair drier, water with soap, and a

little patience is all that is needed...although I realy wanted to keep the white spots on the tail light still

white...

CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE SMOKED TAIL LIGHT COVERS 04-07:eBay Motors (item 270445314583 end time Sep-19-09 11:50:13 PDT)
Nail polish and nail polish remover eat plastic don't they?

Old 09-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Default Re: Tail light Overlay (Black out) Question/Help!!!

Yea, but your doing it once, its not like its a weekly thing man, but it takes patience if you mess up with the

pray and try to take it out, I did it until I got it right with my front side markers(I hate that goofy yellow), it

took me some time, but it gets the job done...patience is the key word...just get the vinyl its better for the

"health" of the car and its super easy to remove if you sell the car or get a fresh one on again...I just wish

there was a way to keep the white part of the tail lights the same without going through the trouble of

making the holes yourself, like a pre-cut vinyl for that two spots you know?

Old 09-09-2009, 02:51 PM
FP
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I have to wonder; if you get rear-ended while having these, will you be found to be the culprit? I was thinking about Debra Walker's accident. If she had the tail light darken, would she'd be at fault?

Old 09-09-2009, 05:35 PM

I don't really know about who's fault it would be. I just painted mine black and left the 3rd the way it is. I mean, even though the two main ones are going to be dark, I still have that 3rd one which is still bright as all hell. Haha

Old 09-09-2009, 07:21 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What if you put the tint on then take a razor and cut out the white lights. If you cant see it through the tint have someone else sit in the car and put it in reverse and hold the brake and then just put the flashers on. I think that would be the easiest. Just dont push hard.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:35 PM

Yea, wouldn't want to be cutting into the lens while just trying to cut a hole in the tint! Haha

Old 09-09-2009, 07:51 PM

I had my tail lights blacked out a few weeks ago and I couldn't be more satisfied with the results! I had the reverse lights and turn sigs taped off before the paint job, and then removed for the clear coat.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
090909-163116.jpg (300.8 KB, 90 views)
090909-163508.jpg (257.7 KB, 72 views)
Old 09-09-2009, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by airborne82nddiv2003
I had my tail lights blacked out a few weeks ago and I couldn't be more satisfied with the results! I had the reverse lights and turn sigs taped off before the paint job, and then removed for the clear coat.
VERY NICE!! I like that!

Old 09-09-2009, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by FP
I have to wonder; if you get rear-ended while having these, will you be found to be the culprit? I was thinking about Debra Walker's accident. If she had the tail light darken, would she'd be at fault?
My auto painter and I were worried about the same thing.. So after each layer of paint we applied the brake light to see the level of transparency.. 4 coats later and we found the perfect match, sealed it up with a layer of clear coat and it was good to go.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:07 AM
Red face Re: Tail light Overlay (Black out) Question/Help!!!

So you apply a clear coat after to make it shinny??? That aint a bad idea, completely forgot about the clear

coat, if that's the what I am thinking of....

Old 09-10-2009, 10:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CrosstheFire
So you apply a clear coat after to make it shinny??? That aint a bad idea, completely forgot about the clear

coat, if that's the what I am thinking of....
Did you spray it from the inside of the lens? If you do it from the outside it's not going to look good.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:45 PM

The clear coat was applied to seal the paint and of course give it that glossy appearance and reflection, it should be treated as the rest of the vehicles paint. I had the side markers and 3rd brake light done as well. Included are a few pics from the process..

Attached Images
090817-131432.jpg (314.3 KB, 54 views)
090817-133320.jpg (324.8 KB, 49 views)
090817-133739.jpg (306.8 KB, 45 views)
090817-134020.jpg (343.0 KB, 50 views)
090817-140007.jpg (252.8 KB, 68 views)
Old 09-11-2009, 03:04 AM

Thats awesome, I am going to try that once that vinyl goes to crap, its holding up so far, and maybe thats

why I have such negative feeling s about the spray, I was not only applying it from the outside, but no clear

coat...the white car looks nice, thanks for the pics. man