Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Few Facts about LED Lighthing

Old 08-29-2009, 09:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few Facts about LED Lighthing

I know this topic has been widely discussed so please don't clobber me guys! While I know things about the mechanics of a car, the electrical components of automotive vehicles is confusing to me. Could one of you please tell me what are LED lights for cars? I know that people put LED's to light up the car from the bottom with different colors, etc. But I do not like that stuff. Can the stock head lamps and tail lights be replaced with LEDs? If so, what is the purpose of this? Do any of you have before and after pics? Thanks!

-Sam

Old 08-29-2009, 09:08 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Re: Few Facts about LED Lighthing

I won't comment on cars, but I did replace all mine on the tractor trailer. They last a lot longer and are a lot brighter, and use less power...

Old 08-29-2009, 10:00 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by samo59
I know this topic has been widely discussed so please don't clobber me guys! While I know things about the mechanics of a car, the electrical components of automotive vehicles is confusing to me. Could one of you please tell me what are LED lights for cars? I know that people put LED's to light up the car from the bottom with different colors, etc. But I do not like that stuff. Can the stock head lamps and tail lights be replaced with LEDs? If so, what is the purpose of this? Do any of you have before and after pics? Thanks!

-Sam
Ok, I'll go into this a little.

Many have replaced the "eyebrow" or front running lights with LED's. They are much brighter and the color is a white/blue compared with the 194 incandescant bulbs. This is usually done AFTER a change of the headlights to HID's. The color of those is very white, depending on the choice of the installer.
Some have swapped the rear license plate bulbs with LED's. Much brighter and the color is white/blue. Looks great. I just did this on my new/old commuter.

All of these LED swaps on the Mercedes Benz platform require a "load resistor" to be installed in parallel with the new LED to prevent a "Bulb Out" indicator on the dash to bother you.

I, and others have installed LED's in the map (overhead) lights. Nice and cool. No problems with this.

It's is a neat way to customize your ride, but it requires a little fiddling.

Where do you want to go today?

Old 08-30-2009, 06:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where do I want to go today? Haha i don't know, but I was thinking of replacing my headlight's with HID's and I keep reading LED's everywhere. Just wanted a few facts. Thanks!

-Sam