Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Base model Windshield Trim looks faded

Old 08-26-2009, 04:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Base model Windshield Trim looks faded

Happen to anyone else? Can't tell if its faded or wax residue but it doesn't look good and its only an 07.

Does anyone know if this is covered by factory warranty?

Has anyone used a cleaning compound to get the black back to black?

thanks guys/gals

Old 08-26-2009, 05:02 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Base model Windshield Trim looks faded

EDIT:: I fail, thought it was something different.

Last edited by Airscape; 08-26-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:21 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by psu_doug
Happen to anyone else? Can't tell if its faded or wax residue but it doesn't look good and its only an 07.

Does anyone know if this is covered by factory warranty?

Has anyone used a cleaning compound to get the black back to black?

thanks guys/gals
Are you talking about the black windshield surround that is actually painted silver on Limteds and SRT6s? If so, then any tips you find in the link Airscape gave aren't going to help you because those are all talking about vinyl and rubber trim.

Do you have any pictures of the area so we can get a better idea of the fading/staining/general dullness?

Old 08-26-2009, 05:28 PM

Yes - I am talking about the windshield surround that is black on base models but silver on limited/srt6 models. I will try and get some pics up in the next few days. I have been meaning to take some pics of the car anyway.

I mean its not terrible but there is no reason for it being the car is an 07. I am hoping it might just be wax residue but not sure.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:35 PM
Forum Regular

jumped the gun, need to read more slowly

I have only seen 1 base model around here but the surround did seem to lack the depth of the rest of the car. Maybe it didn't receive the same love as the rest of the paint when detailing time came at the dealership?

Last edited by Airscape; 08-26-2009 at 05:40 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem with my 2007 base car.

The black windshield trim is badly oxidized, with a white coat.

Using plastic polish seems to help for a short time, but it quickly fades.

If anyone has found a solution, please post it.

BTW, the insdie of this black plastic trim is white. I know because an errant rock took out my windshield, bounced against the trim and chipped it.

I've tried the back to black vinyl treatment, but it does not go into the surface and help as it does with soft trim. Turtle wax black car polish does not work either. Although it's great on the paint.

I am ready to try black wax shoe polish....

Last edited by brucero; 08-26-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:36 PM
Forum Regular

I to have a 2007 Black base coupe. When I got my car I thought that trim was normally matte in color.
When I realized that the windshield surround was supposed shine, I started to ask and look around for a cure. I tried everything including peanut oil, back to black,ect. Finally someone on here mentioned Scratch X20 (Meguiars) I couldn't believe it. It shines just like the rest of the car. Just do a small portion of the surround at a time. It seems to come off a little bit at a time. You have to rub fairly hard but it works. I did mine 3 times before I was satisfied, but it was worth it. I waxed it with Meguiars NXT tech wax 2.0. that was about 2 months ago still looks great.
Let us know how it works for you.
Remember Black Crossfires are fastest.
Joejet
2007 Black Coupe base (with a shiny surround)

Old 08-26-2009, 10:16 PM

I had the same problem on my '07 Base Coupe, prior to it being totaled...

I took it to the dealer and replaced it under warranty. This was the only correction that I could find that was long lasting.

Every other method I used to repair the oxidation failed miserably.

Good luck with everything and take the warranty if you can.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:55 AM

Good to hear it is covered under warranty! I will see if they will take care of it when I get my next oil change.

If they give me crap I will definitely try the Scratch X20 (Meguiars)

thanks!

Old 08-27-2009, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by joejet
I to have a 2007 Black base coupe. When I got my car I thought that trim was normally matte in color.
When I realized that the windshield surround was supposed shine, I started to ask and look around for a cure. I tried everything including peanut oil, back to black,ect. Finally someone on here mentioned Scratch X20 (Meguiars) I couldn't believe it. It shines just like the rest of the car. Just do a small portion of the surround at a time. It seems to come off a little bit at a time. You have to rub fairly hard but it works. I did mine 3 times before I was satisfied, but it was worth it. I waxed it with Meguiars NXT tech wax 2.0. that was about 2 months ago still looks great.
Let us know how it works for you.
Remember Black Crossfires are fastest.
Joejet
2007 Black Coupe base (with a shiny surround)
I have yet to see one of these in person so I can't say with 100% certainty how their finished, but I'm be amazed it they weren't painted. I know the silver surrounds on the Limited and SRT6 are painted. The finish is key here - if they're painted you need to use a product designed for paint, like ScratchX 2.0 or similar instead of something designed for vinyl, rubber and plastic, like Back to Black. Back to Black is a great product, but only when used on the right surface, and paint ain't it.

Joejet, did you notice any black paint transferring onto your applicator when using the ScratchX 2.0? If so that tells me the surround is single stage paint, not clear coated like the rest of the car. That would also account for the rapid oxidation of the finish. But I must say I would be surprised to find that the windshield surround is covered in a single stage paint - that just sounds odd in this day and age.

In any event, since ScratchX 2.0 worked well for you, I would suggest regular use of a paint cleaner and wax - in fact, just a decent cleaner wax (Meguiar's and Mother's both make readily available cleaner waxes) would keep the oxidation at bay and protect the finish. Seriously, I'd do a quick application once a month. No need to use a lot of pressure, just treat it like a regular wax, but do it every month.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:42 PM
Forum Regular

Mike,
Thanks for the sugestion about wax and cleaner,I will definitely use it.
I have seen Chars car when we ran at the Texas Speedway,thats when I realized my surround wasn't right. She has a Black base roadster. She said she never had a problem with hers.
As to the cloth color when I finished,no black at all. I'd say maybe light yellow,or light brown. but not much.
I hope this info helps other Black base owners. I'm glad I was finally able to contribute.
And thank you Mike for all your info. on keeping our Black cars looking just a little nicer than all others.

Joejet

Old 08-28-2009, 11:07 PM

Thanks joejet, based on this thread, I bought the Scratch X 20 at Shucks auto...$10.00 for a small tube.

It works! A few observations:

A LOT of rubbing and presssure is necessary to cut through the oxidization.
There was a dark grey residue on the polishing cloth as the oxidization came off. This product is designed for paint, and it does cut through without obvious damage. I was able to get about 1/4 of the complete surround done before my muscles gave out.

I agree, it will take about 3 treatments to remove all the discoloration, but about 80% goes away on the first treatment. This is going to take time.

I would be hesitant to use a power tool to apply this product as it could cut too deep and damage the surround or the rubber immediately surrounding the plastic.

The results require a lot of work, but are worth it.

A few hints.. wear gloves, as the polish is caustic, and keep your hands away from your nose and eyes for the same reason.

It works 10x better than the plastic polish I had used before. I think this product is the answer. With maintenance, this area should look as great as the rest of the car.

Again, thanks joejet and all:

Old 08-29-2009, 01:41 AM
Forum Regular

Brucero,
Pretty amazing isn' it. After the first application I used masking tape on the rubber. Use either the blue or purple tape. Don"t use regular masking tape. It will leave a residue on the rubber.
Glad I was able to help. Pass it on to the next Black base guy that asks
Joejet
2007 Black base coupe

Old 08-29-2009, 03:11 AM

I had this issue on my 07 black base, it NEEDS to be repainted, dealer does this under warranty. Anything else is half assing it and it will come back, trust me.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Peterk
I had this issue on my 07 black base, it NEEDS to be repainted, dealer does this under warranty. Anything else is half assing it and it will come back, trust me.
While a good paint cleaner, such as the ScratchX 2.0 that others here have used to good effect, will correct the issue there is no doubt that oxidation will ALWAYS come back. If, as it sounds from Peter's info, you guys do indeed have a known issue with a bad paint job, and it's covered under warranty, then by all means a warranty repaint is by far the best long term solution. No doubt about it.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:47 AM

I have a 05 base and my window trim has the clear coat pealing off it real bad. I think they didnt paint these right or something because I wax my car quite a bit. I run a detail shop for about 6 years now and the only reason I can see is bad paint

Old 09-02-2009, 10:49 AM

So this appears to be a pretty common issue. I am definitely contacting my dealer to get this fixed. The more i look at it the more I hate it. The car is in great shape and that just makes it look bad.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do many of you leave your cars outside all the time or have extremely harsh elements??

I have an '05 base and my surround looks fine. I have kept it waxed and all, but the fact that my car (before it was mine) sat in a garage, it may not be oxidized like some of the others out there. Just trying to think critically here....

Old 09-02-2009, 05:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know exactly what the OP is referring to.

My 2007 XF's windshield surround oxidized and my car only has 5700 miles on it. I garage keep it 24/7 and rarely ever let it sit out in the sun.

It's a part that got a crappy paintjob from the factory and needs to be replaced under warranty.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:25 PM

Mine does sit out in the sun all summer long. I figured thats why it was pealing so badly but still if it was painted good from the factory it shouldnt have done that

Quick Reply: Base model Windshield Trim looks faded