Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Just used 3M headlight restore kit...

Old 07-16-2009, 11:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just used 3M headlight restore kit...

Just want to report on the GREAT job the 3M kit works on pitted and glazed headlights. It attaches to your drill, and has a 4 step process that makes them look new without all the hard hand labor other kits require. I HIGHLY recommend it. I didn't take pictures, but they were really oxidized to where you could feel the roughness, and it was real ugly. They are perfect now, and I am happy. Now to get the rear window fixed. I am going to try to repair with window weld until I can order the new aftermarket top with the 350Z window in it. It seems stupid to order a factory top with the same possible outcome due to the Texas heat melting the bond, but that is for the next report. Later, and try this 3M stuff, it really works!!

Old 11-25-2009, 05:08 PM
Default Re: Just used 3M headlight restore kit...

I had the foggy hazy headlights. They felt rough and crackled. I found the 3M Headlight restoration kit and they look like new now. This was for the outside though, not inside.

Not bad for $20 kit and 2 hours of time. Pickup up kit at Autozone but saw it at Walmart too.

Here's a link to the kit and video by 3M: Restoring a Headlight 3M

Here's some before and after photos. The overcast day put a grainy look to the after shots but they're shiny and way better than before!

Old 11-25-2009, 05:28 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by zachmorris01
I had the foggy hazy headlights. They felt rough and crackled. I found the 3M Headlight restoration kit and they look like new now. This was for the outside though, not inside.

Not bad for $20 kit and 2 hours of time. Pickup up kit at Autozone but saw it at Walmart too.
Looks great, and you must be very proud of it since you just posted the same thing with the same pics in a total of 6 different threads. lol That just might be a new record.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:37 PM
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

I read that ozone and crap from the road (salt, etc) cause the hazing of the plastic headlight covers. I do not have this on either of my Crossfires (which are summer drivers) or my Audi A6 (which has over 100k of winter driving), but I have always used ArmorAll on the headlights and I have friends who use auto wax (the good stuff, like they use on the car). It seems to prevent the problem from (re)occurring.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:58 AM

Zachmorris01,
I need to do this proceedure to my car too, but I'm afraid I'm going to mess it up. I guess if you keep the drill moving across the face of the light it wont burn the plastic. Did you feel timid at first? Is it a easy as it looks?