Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Painted Calipers

Old 05-16-2009, 04:54 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Painted Calipers

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
It is very easy. Jack it up, remove wheel, turn wheel out so you can see better and remove to big bolt that bolt the caliper to the front spinde. Before you remove the caliper, take a big flat blase screw driver and push the pads back which pushes the piston back into the caliper, this makes putting them back on very easy. If you want them all the way off you will also have to remove the brake line and unplug the wear sensor.
This is good information. I read the instructions in the link slk32krazy posted. Is there anything to consider when reconnecting the brake lines? Like bleeding them or anything? I've always left brake work to the experts.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:59 PM
FP
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by KimPossible
FP - I did mine myself on the car. Jacked it up, pulled the tires, cleaned it, taped it off, scrubbed the back to the wheels to get them clean, put the tire back on ..... rinse & repeat 3 times.

I think it took me about 1.5 hrs to do the whole car. I got caliper paint at the local auto parts store. They had lots of colors, but what other choice did I really have but red on a yellow car??

If I can do it .... you can do it!!
Thanks Kim, I think I'll paint them without removing the calipers like you did, unless you want to come over and do them for me.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:02 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FP
Thanks Kim, I think I'll paint them without removing the calipers like you did, unless you want to come over and do them for me.
Don't tempt me ... I am so jealous that you guys are going to do a GTG drive down LSD. That will be so pretty, makes me want to fly up & hitch a ride!!

Old 05-16-2009, 05:04 PM
FP
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by KimPossible
Don't tempt me ... I am so jealous that you guys are going to do a GTG drive down LSD. That will be so pretty, makes me want to fly up & hitch a ride!!
Gitty up

Old 05-17-2009, 12:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought some Lime Green Caliper paint.. I really want to put it on but i've had no time.. I have an Aero Blue.. I think it's going to look awesome..!

Old 05-17-2009, 12:54 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by InfernoRedXfire
This is good information. I read the instructions in the link slk32krazy posted. Is there anything to consider when reconnecting the brake lines? Like bleeding them or anything? I've always left brake work to the experts.
Yes you have to bleed them if you disconect the brake lines. I prefer to disconect the lines at where they meet the hard lines. put a bowl or pan under the connection to catch the drips but not a lot will drain. After you have everything back together top off the fluid resevoir. then connect a tube and catch bottle to the top of the bleed screw on the farthest caliper from the master cylinder. With the bleed screw shut and a friend pump your brakes hard three time while holding the brake pedal to the floor on the third pump. While he is holding the brake pedal down crack open the bleed screw and watch the bubbles and fluid come out. Repeat this until you don't see any bubbles and then move on the next caliper farthest from the master cylinder. I perfer to use ATE super blue brake fluid. IF you want to completely flush your system which is a good idea if you road race your car, keep bleeding each caliper until the fluid turns blue. for bleeding I have a vacum pump with clear lines and an inline catch cup that you can buy at any parts store. If you use this this could be a one man job, but I still always like someone in the car to do a few pumps as mentioned above to make sure there are no bubbles whatsoever. Let me know if you this is clear or if you still have questions. One more thing, keep an eye on the resevoir and make sure you keep it full while bleeding. If you allow the master cylinder to suck air you are screwed and have to start all over. Also a few really hard pumps will ensure that there is no air in the ABS system.

Last edited by LantanaTX; 05-17-2009 at 12:57 AM.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:27 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the details!

Yes you have to bleed them if you disconect the brake lines. I prefer to disconect the lines at where they meet the hard lines. put a bowl or pan under the connection to catch the drips but not a lot will drain. After you have everything back together top off the fluid resevoir. then connect a tube and catch bottle to the top of the bleed screw on the farthest caliper from the master cylinder. With the bleed screw shut and a friend pump your brakes hard three time while holding the brake pedal to the floor on the third pump. While he is holding the brake pedal down crack open the bleed screw and watch the bubbles and fluid come out. Repeat this until you don't see any bubbles and then move on the next caliper farthest from the master cylinder. I perfer to use ATE super blue brake fluid. IF you want to completely flush your system which is a good idea if you road race your car, keep bleeding each caliper until the fluid turns blue. for bleeding I have a vacum pump with clear lines and an inline catch cup that you can buy at any parts store. If you use this this could be a one man job, but I still always like someone in the car to do a few pumps as mentioned above to make sure there are no bubbles whatsoever. Let me know if you this is clear or if you still have questions. One more thing, keep an eye on the resevoir and make sure you keep it full while bleeding. If you allow the master cylinder to suck air you are screwed and have to start all over. Also a few really hard pumps will ensure that there is no air in the ABS system.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:22 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FP
Anyone have step by step instruction on removing the calipers? Everyone tells me it's easy, and while I've done my share of drum brakes, I've never tried the disc brakes.
FP a guru like you with no disc experience!! Now thats a shock.

I cannot comment on the bez as I have not done my rotex change yet but on all the many cars that I have done it is a 1 bolt deal swing up the cali slide out. To remove the caliper brackets they had two bolts holding them on and aside from rust holding them on too tight that was it.

Not sure about bleeding the brakes on this system but that cannot be too much of an issue.

Do you have the shop manual?

ALso has anyone on here powdercoated their cali's? THat I think is the only way to get a real quality finish.

THanks

Nate

Old 06-25-2009, 09:02 AM

Anybody know where i can get a good Aftermarket camber kit front passenger side only. I am in Dallas Texas.

Any leads would help.
Pedro

Old 06-25-2009, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Flamenco2005
Anybody know where i can get a good Aftermarket camber kit front passenger side only. I am in Dallas Texas.

Any leads would help.
Pedro

Maybe I am just off my rocker... but I hope you already have a drivers side camber kit, because I see no reason why on earth you would put on only one camber kit...

I'll keep an eye out for a place to buy from... I'll ask a couple people.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:48 AM

Thats what my Mechanic said all i needed. The drivers side is true and straight, but the passanger side needs adjusting but due to the impact the current bolts don't have enough adjustment. thus the kit.
Would there be a problem later if I just replace the passenger side? I don't expect any other modification to the car any time soon.

Any adivise you offer will be appreciated.

ciao,
Pedro

Old 06-25-2009, 12:46 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Yes you have to bleed them if you disconect the brake lines. I prefer to disconect the lines at where they meet the hard lines. put a bowl or pan under the connection to catch the drips but not a lot will drain. After you have everything back together top off the fluid resevoir. then connect a tube and catch bottle to the top of the bleed screw on the farthest caliper from the master cylinder. With the bleed screw shut and a friend pump your brakes hard three time while holding the brake pedal to the floor on the third pump. While he is holding the brake pedal down crack open the bleed screw .......... If you allow the master cylinder to suck air you are screwed and have to start all over. Also a few really hard pumps will ensure that there is no air in the ABS system.
The maintenance manual posted on the forum specifically warns against pumping the brakes when bleeding the system...

Here are the procedures direct from the manual .......

Old 06-26-2009, 12:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody know where I can get the AMG caliper stickers?

Old 06-26-2009, 01:08 PM
ADDICTED TO BOOST

Originally Posted by ///SilverSaphRT6
Just search on ebay!

Old 06-26-2009, 01:17 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ///SilverSaphRT6
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5-Pie...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by maxcichon; 06-26-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:33 PM

Thanks Maxcichon!!

Old 06-26-2009, 05:02 PM

Theres also a website where you can order caliper decals that say pretty much whatever you want. I dont remember the website, just do a search on the forum. someone already posted about it

Old 07-02-2009, 11:43 AM

I am thinking outside the box......Yellow calipers with saph blue ///AMG sticker.....then yellow slasher rocker panel stripes!! 4th of july weekend project....calipers.

Last edited by ///SilverSaphRT6; 07-02-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:24 PM

Is it worth painting if you have Stock Rims? I am guessing Not. right? If so what color? My car is Black.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just a word to the wise-yellow=Porsche.

Just what I've seen!

Quick Reply: Painted Calipers