Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Suggestions on Source for HID Kit

Old 05-07-2009, 04:36 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Suggestions on Source for HID Kit

I am gathering up the parts I will need to put my new black roadster back to pre-wreck condition of my former car.

The HID's are smashed from the wreck. This time I plan to go ahead and replace both headlights and fogs at the same time. I am looking for a decent quality 5000k kit that I won't have problems with the bulb out indicator light on. Last time I paid way too much for a McCulloch setup and have seen many others report good results with much less expensive kits.

If you have a recommendation as to a kit and vendor that you have had good results with (including no bulb out indicator) and feel was a bargain, please share. Thanks again.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:32 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Suggestions on Source for HID Kit

http://cgi.ebay.com/hid-kit-xenon-co...742.m153.l1262

Old 05-08-2009, 12:35 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good deal here order 2 for fog and low beam

http://www.ddmtuning.com/products/Ra...it-102-85.html

low beam is h7 pick like 4500k

fog light is 9006

right now they are out of stock but it goes in and out everyday they sell hundred each day

Old 05-08-2009, 12:46 AM
Forum Regular

So, do you have personal experience with these on your car and know that they work fine and do not throw a warning lamp?

Old 05-08-2009, 12:49 AM
Forum Regular

i have bought from these guys before but here is the issue i used

55w apexcone ballast with 6000k bulbs from them which washes out to be right around 5000k

i had no issues with bulb out warning and i did it on my crossfire and my brothers with no issue

the 35 watt is priced real good at 39.95 plus shipping.

i plan to pick up another set of 55 watt ballast for high beam which is being retrofitted to low beam and a 35w raptor kit for fog.

do not run 55w in fog they then to run hot and are better for bigger housing and projectors

I can not speak about the raptor i would shoot them an email but they are well known for BMW hid which have issues with bulb out and theirs is suppose to be good all digital.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:58 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by faiz23
the 35 watt is priced real good at 39.95 plus shipping.
faiz, the web site says $70.00. where'd you find $39.95 or is shipping another $30.00??

Old 05-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Forum Regular

I paid $260 for the last set I put on my roadster, but they were Mcculloch and had zero problems, just would like to save a little this time if they are all pretty much equal.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:49 AM

I'm not sure about all of the higher end mcculloch kits etc etc.. but i think with all of the eBay kits you will get a bulb out indicator when you turn them on and then off.. it stays lit for maybe ~2 minutes then shuts off...

when they're just off, you won't get one.. and when you turn them on you won't get it either,, just when you turn it on then off..

at least from my experience with my eBay kit.. other then that it works great!! i never see the bulb out indicator because i run them on 24/7 when my car is on, and then turn my car off and then my lights..

Old 05-08-2009, 10:50 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i got my kit from eBay Store - wholesale-hid:
it was ~ $50 back on 10/08. i love them. no light out indicator inside. hardest part of install was getting the plug off the original bulbs. what i really liked about this kit was a) shipped from usa b) the nuts that came with it fit perfectly on the existing studs under the na xfire hood c) the rubber grommet already had the wires thru if so i didn't have to do as some of the online diys suggested. d) they came in 4300k which is what i wanted. some kits don't come in 4300k, only 5000k and above. i've had them on for several months now with no issues.

the only issue i have noticed is that if i have them on, then turn them off and back on again real fast, sometimes one won't come on. i've heard 2 things about this. 1) they all do this, you have to turn them off and let them cool a little before turning them back on. 1 reason why not to use them for high beams and 2) it's because i have a cheap set. the mccullough sets don't perform like this. i'm not sure which is right but it really isn't an issue because if it happens, the bulb out indicator lets me know and i just turn them off, waited about a minute and turn them back on with no problems. i only did that once.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:41 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by eruby
faiz, the web site says $70.00. where'd you find $39.95 or is shipping another $30.00??

they are all pretty much made by the same 2-3 manufactuers in china, taiwan and i think korea.

honestly not much difference and at 40 bucks each even if it last couple years that is the same price as buying colored bulbs lol.

they are out of stock but keep checking it is the most popular model and the price is cheap since they own a part of the factory.

HID Kits: DDM Tuning - HID Kits, HID Bulbs, DEPO Lighting, BMW and Porsche Performance Accessories

Old 05-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Forum Regular

using a hid for high beam is not recommended since you can kill the life of the bulb and ballast you want to wait a couple 2-3 min before you fire them back up. if you want to use them for highbeam then you need a projector that is bixenon and the shield which blocks light will have a solenoid so it will flip the shield up and down to make it a hi.lo projector.

here are some pics of my retrofit in progress with a bixenon acura tl projectors with ultra clear zkw lenses and modded shield.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ttn-woody.html

[MEDIA]http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l4/grisha_cheban/My%20customers/Chrystler%20Crossfire/IMG_1278.jpg[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA]http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l4/grisha_cheban/My%20customers/Chrystler%20Crossfire/IMG_1217.jpg[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA]http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l4/grisha_cheban/My%20customers/Chrystler%20Crossfire/IMG_1218.jpg[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA]http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l4/grisha_cheban/My%20customers/Chrystler%20Crossfire/IMG_1219.jpg[/MEDIA]

Old 05-08-2009, 12:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bhays
I paid $260 for the last set I put on my roadster, but they were Mcculloch and had zero problems, just would like to save a little this time if they are all pretty much equal.
You get what you pay for.......just my deux cents.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:32 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ///SilverSaphRT6
You get what you pay for.......just my deux cents.

i do not have time to answer this in full but long story short their is only 2-3 player in the hid industry who make aftermarket. I will list a website later than has a manufactuer that lists almost 60 different ballast designs and boxes. the sell kits wholesale to your style and your logo. here is some info from dealers who work in HID. I use to be big into doing HID retrofits and installs on the side for people who wanted hid's.

The wholesale prices for HID kits is still going down.
We just this morning got an e-mail from a significant Chinese kit maker selling kits for $28.00 for a kit including 2 HID bulbs and 2 ballasts and std. kit wiring.

How much lower can it go? This offer was for 100 kits. We get a few of these kit offers a week typically. Because they are now even more aggressively looking for customers (resellers) and offering even lower prices.

This pricing works out to $4 or $5 for the bulb and $9 or $10 for the ballast. They must be making the bulb for less than $3 and making the Ballast for less than $7. Is this the bottom or could it go even lower, I can't see how.

We are not involved in selling aftermarket automotive HID kits, but thought you would all be interested in what is going on out there. I wish they (all of them) would stop sending the e-mails but thought this was interesting. Most of them are brokers (many), there are only a few companies doing all of the HID bulb or ballast manufacturing in China. Generally, the bulbs and ballasts are made by 2 different companies.

I just wish the Chinese would move on to newer more lucrative technology markets now. There is not much profit left for them in HID anymore.

there is no such think as reliable kit anymore. back before they were illegal, companies like catz, who make equipment for oem cars, would put out quality products. my old kit from them actually had dot certification paper work for all the hardware. now all the foreign manufacturers got in on it and started making these kits CHEAP like maybe $40 to produce one in the factory, then they try and sell it to people in bulk on ebay and other places. its all the same! there is no quality anymore. if you spend $100 or $300 you are getting the same thing! junk in a box. it may work for a while, it may fail tomorrow, it may burn your wire harness, the bulbs might be the wrong or different color. take it or leave it. it will not be oem quality because such a thing no longer exists. it is illegal now plain and simple, so the quality companies packed up and left. if they outlaw blue coated bulbs next, do you think philips and osram will still make them?

CLIFFNOTES: 5 years ago there was a difference in quality. MTEC and Mcculloch were well know and then the OEM ballast. Now only thing that is decent is OEM ballast and will last you 4-5 yrs. The Chinese stuff is hit or a miss but for $40 bucks that is an alright gamble. A oem kit will set you back around $200-$225. BUY SOMETHING WITH LIFETIME WARRANTY IF YOU ARE WORRIED