Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

I used to turn on my HID's during daytime as running lights...

Old 03-03-2009, 09:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: I used to turn on my HID's during daytime as running lights...

Thanks for all the compliments guys. I'll try and post up more detailed instructions later on, but school has taken over this past week / next week. This is a quick PM I sent to SNAKEWOLF, but first I have a few comments.

I haven't decided how they'll look to oncoming traffickers, I may ask a friend or parents to drive towards me on a road or something, the reason being is that my HID's are so insanely bright it almost looks as if it covers part of the L.E.D's, I can't tell but it's a possibility, you can still see an outline so i am definitely going to keep them.

And BTW does anyone have any recommendations for taking night shots? I tried both my iPhone camera, recording video on my iPhone, my digital camera, and recording video on my digital camera. All I get are gobs of light since my HID's / L.E.D's are so bright.

Here are some sample pics I TRIED taking, note how bad they suck. The best pic I found was the reflection off my dad's red truck with the HID's off.

img_0017.jpg
img_0018-1.jpg
img_0025.jpg

PM : Hey Snakewolf,

I wish I could say I did something fancy, extravagent, and hard, but I didn't. It's really easy.

I bought two 19inch LED strips, the ones encased in silicon, white in color (http://www.oznium.com/led-flex-strips)

I had to cut about an inch and a half off of each one, because it went up to high and I didn't like the look and they kinda didn't fit.

What I did to mount them since it was so cold out is kinda just brute force.. there is enough room to shove them in between the gaps of the lights.. and on the sides where it's REALLY tight you can use a razor blade or file to shave some silicon off (won't hurt the light at all).. then proceed to shove in the space again..

Wiring them was also easy as well, I used T-Tap connectors to tap into the existing parking light wires, so that way I can control them from the interior cabin. I originally bought a switch to wire inside my car but I think this way is easier and looks a lot cleaner, they now come on whenever I turn on the parking lights and stay on for another ~10 seconds when I lock the car / shut it off / shut the door and exit, until all the lights turn off, looks really cool.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:56 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

I did not like them when they were off, but on they look good. Try shots more from the side, out of the light beam.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:53 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great job, thanks for the info.

Did you end up dropping the headlights or did you just snake the wire underneath them and grab it from the backside for power connection?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by nox1s
Thanks for all the compliments guys. I'll try and post up more detailed instructions later on, but school has taken over this past week / next week. This is a quick PM I sent to SNAKEWOLF, but first I have a few comments.

I haven't decided how they'll look to oncoming traffickers, I may ask a friend or parents to drive towards me on a road or something, the reason being is that my HID's are so insanely bright it almost looks as if it covers part of the L.E.D's, I can't tell but it's a possibility, you can still see an outline so i am definitely going to keep them.

And BTW does anyone have any recommendations for taking night shots? I tried both my iPhone camera, recording video on my iPhone, my digital camera, and recording video on my digital camera. All I get are gobs of light since my HID's / L.E.D's are so bright.

Here are some sample pics I TRIED taking, note how bad they suck. The best pic I found was the reflection off my dad's red truck with the HID's off.

PM : Hey Snakewolf,

I wish I could say I did something fancy, extravagent, and hard, but I didn't. It's really easy.

I bought two 19inch LED strips, the ones encased in silicon, white in color (http://www.oznium.com/led-flex-strips)

I had to cut about an inch and a half off of each one, because it went up to high and I didn't like the look and they kinda didn't fit.

What I did to mount them since it was so cold out is kinda just brute force.. there is enough room to shove them in between the gaps of the lights.. and on the sides where it's REALLY tight you can use a razor blade or file to shave some silicon off (won't hurt the light at all).. then proceed to shove in the space again..

Wiring them was also easy as well, I used T-Tap connectors to tap into the existing parking light wires, so that way I can control them from the interior cabin. I originally bought a switch to wire inside my car but I think this way is easier and looks a lot cleaner, they now come on whenever I turn on the parking lights and stay on for another ~10 seconds when I lock the car / shut it off / shut the door and exit, until all the lights turn off, looks really cool.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pictures with them off would be lovely nox!

Old 03-07-2009, 12:50 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the update! Although we are all still waiting on... how did you run the wires?

Old 03-07-2009, 08:46 AM

Cool look! All you need to do now is move the motor behind the seats. Baby R8.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:41 AM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Talking Re: I used to turn on my HID's during daytime as running lights...

Old guy thought, take the photo thru a sunglass to cut the intensity. Look ok but have you had an inspection, the states are funny about the addition of lights, especially VA. I would consider dimming them a touch from what I see.

And the comment about POPPING OFF THE LENSE AND PUTTING THEM INSIDE, well I got a 50$ if you can show me how, I went wild and used everything I had to try to get the lense off including HEAT. They are locked on and not coming off ------- I got an old set to try. They are interesting inside though, very Optic like.

W DY painting the hood

Old 03-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Forum Regular
Location: Brentwood, CA (no not the OJ Simpson Brentwood, the real city of Brentwood in NorCal)

Nox to get better night shots, the camera needs to be still. First check to see if it has a night mode (I'm assuming it's a point-n-shoot, not a DSLR), but the most important part is keeping it stable. Put it on a stationary object, and use the timer on the camera so there's ZERO movement. Also if the camera has an adjustable EV, you can try to lower it for a less blinding effect. Better yet, if you can controll the ISO, you can try to set it to something like 1600 ISO and see how that works. All depends on what the camera can do. Forget the crappy iphone camera

Old 03-08-2009, 04:43 PM

I Used A Different Strip And Thought It Looked A Little More Transparent

Photos Are In My Gallery

Old 03-08-2009, 10:00 PM

SnakeWolf,

Would you please share where you obtained the light strips, and how you wired them?

Old 03-08-2009, 10:31 PM

SnakeWolf - Details please. Looks like yours has fewer led's. Any problems getting stopped by the State Patrol or do you guys get "flashed" at night by other drivers?

Old 03-09-2009, 07:39 AM

I had those, and first pair died after 2 weeks. Second pair, well one of them melted and ruined my bumper. Now i have them, but on top of my headlamps. It is way easier to install them there, then under the headlamps Anyway, they look so COOL

Old 03-09-2009, 07:42 PM
Smile Re: I used to turn on my HID's during daytime as running lights...

I USED THE ONES FROM HERE

http://www.oznium.com/thin-waterproof-ribbon

PAINTED AND COVERED MYSELF HOOKED THEM UP TO THE PARK LIGHTS THEY MAY LAST A WHILE TILL I GROW OLD OF THEM THEN MAYBE NOT. HOPE THIS HELPS

Old 03-10-2009, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by SNAKEWOLF
I USED THE ONES FROM HERE

http://www.oznium.com/thin-waterproof-ribbon

PAINTED AND COVERED MYSELF HOOKED THEM UP TO THE PARK LIGHTS THEY MAY LAST A WHILE TILL I GROW OLD OF THEM THEN MAYBE NOT. HOPE THIS HELPS
What length did you order? They look damn good.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:02 AM

THEY ARE 15" AND ORDERED 3 FEET CUT AND MAKE YOUR WAY

NOT A BUY AND PUT IN PLACE NOT HARD TO DO THOUGH

GOOD LUCK

Old 03-30-2009, 06:07 PM

a diy on the wiring would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Old 05-31-2009, 12:18 PM
Forum Regular

awesome guys... anyone else have success with this as well?

Old 06-02-2009, 02:15 PM

I would still really like to see exactly how people wired them, to the fuse box, or just T off of the parking light lead or what??

Old 06-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 05XF-LVR
I would still really like to see exactly how people wired them, to the fuse box, or just T off of the parking light lead or what??
I actually took them off, lol. They did look really great, but whenever I passed an Audi with actually LEDs, I felt kind of stupid.

But, it's very very simple to wire. I just used T-Taps to the parking lights, that way I could just turn the light switch one click and have them come on as daytime running lights, and then just one more click to turn on my headlights / they'd stay on.

As far as mounting, me and Snakewolf will have different outcomes. His IMO look better then mine, and are better done. I'm sure he used some 3M permanent tape or something to hold down the thin strips. I just jammed (yeah, I know) the led strip under the headlight. It never moved and it fit nice and snug.

As far as the wiring, you can tuck that around the headlight underneath the rubber part surrounding the headlight. Then just route it inside and tap into the parking lights. It's a green/white and brown wire, I believe.

Any more questions let me know, it's very easy, the trick is finding some high quality nice looking LEDs. I try to get some that aren't the brightest, because if you've noticed on the Audi's all of the LEDs still retain their "individual" look and aren't just a giant LED line.

I would go with Snakewolf's route, to be honest. Although it looks like he spliced 2 strips together to make it longer. Might be more involved but it sure does look nicer IMO.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder how hard it would be to wire them up so that they only come on when you pull the second fog lights.. (european rear fog light switch)

i know in the US this is useless ... it would be cool if you could hook them up to the second pull on the fog lights....

anyone got an electrical insight?

Quick Reply: I used to turn on my HID's during daytime as running lights...