Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Do daytime running lights help keep the headlights from fogging?

Old 02-21-2009, 09:13 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do daytime running lights help keep the headlights from fogging?

The question is for our Canadian owners or anyone else that has them. Do daytime running lights help keep the inside of the headlights from fogging. I just returned from a late winter drive because the roads were clear and the sun shinning. However the lights were fogging. I have found that tuning them on does reduce the fogging (heat). So, in the past I have considered adding a relay or two create daytime lights by turning on the lowbeams with the ignition switch. Again the question is: have the Canadians had problems with moisture inside the headlights?

Last edited by corfire; 02-22-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Do daytime running lights help keep the headlights from fogging?

It would be my guess that thet would help keep condensation on the inside to a minimum.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:22 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts
Lightbulb Re: Do daytime running lights help keep the headlights from fogging?

I have an '04 with the original vents on the back of the headlight housings and I have never had the moisture issue. I thought that I was just lucky, now your idea has made me think that the heat generated by the low beams is enough to keep them moisture free. Good thought, keep them coming, you are on a roll.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:29 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks for the feedback. I would like to get a few more responses. I am trying to dry the moisture out by keeping the lights on while hooked up to a charger, but it appears to be a slow process. I do have the vented cover mod that chrysler says corrects the problem, but it is now there again after sitting most of the winter. We all know that their mod sucks!

Old 02-22-2009, 08:01 PM

I take it you have removed the vent covers to let the moisture escape, just asking. If it is cold in the garage it will not help at all. put a heater near the headlight to keep it warm on the outside or you will be going in circles with the water.
I have no worries about driving in the rain so it is not babied like that.
I think that the DTRL's are the solution to the problem, driving in damp weather with cold lenses with humidity trapped inside, why not? Makes sense and as you know it takes a long time to drive the moisture out when the lights are on. They make lovely aquariums.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by corfire
Thanks for the feedback. I would like to get a few more responses. I am trying to dry the moisture out by keeping the lights on while hooked up to a charger, but it appears to be a slow process. I do have the vented cover mod that chrysler says corrects the problem, but it is now there again after sitting most of the winter. We all know that their mod sucks!
Here is another way to get moisture out of the headlights. Item 22
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...t=31674&page=2

Old 02-24-2009, 09:46 AM
Forum Regular

I think I finally got them dry inside. I think that I will be able to come up with a simple mod (using a relay) to keep the lowbeams on with the ignition. This would be a poor mans version of DTR's. I understand that in order to get factory DTR's they have to change out the light switch module and reprogram??

Old 02-24-2009, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by corfire
I think I finally got them dry inside. I think that I will be able to come up with a simple mod (using a relay) to keep the lowbeams on with the ignition. This would be a poor mans version of DTR's. I understand that in order to get factory DTR's they have to change out the light switch module and reprogram??
The wiring diagrams do not mention DTR's, and there is no wires going from the `off'' position on the switch. So I imagine that there is a different switch, this switch is mentioned in converting US spec cars to Canadian specs.As to programing changes I cannot think why that would be needed if the switch was hard wired to put on the lights.
The simplest way to do it would be to put on the lights, that way no stealership could say you had interfered with the wiring, and put the solenoid on after the warranty has expired.