Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Water in headlamp

Old 02-23-2009, 09:54 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Question Re: Water in headlamp

Originally Posted by mrobinso
Did this just appear out of no where or is it something that occurred after installing new bulbs such as replacements bulbs or HIDs?

Sometimes the bulb is incorrectly or not fully pushed into its socket leaving a small amount of space between the housing and the bulb's base. Moisture in the air can get in there and turn the inside of the head lamp casing into a swamp! This happened to me in December when I installed HIDs.

Don't worry there is a solution! Let me know if you recently did a light swap or fiddled with the lights and then I will explain how I fixed mine. If this isn't the case their could be other problems with your head light fixture.
Now that you've said that, you MUST tell all! It's only fair, and that's why we are all here!

Old 02-24-2009, 12:17 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Water in headlamp

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Now that you've said that, you MUST tell all! It's only fair, and that's why we are all here!
Good point! I took the easy way out as I am studying for an exam and was too lazy to type out an explanation. In retrospect however it probably would have taken the same amount of time as the post I wrote anyhow.

SKIP TO THE BOTTOM FOR DIRECTIONS

I installed HID's in November and had one bulb burn out (passenger side). Unless you remove the coolant tank (correct me if I am wrong) near the headlamp assembly (which I did not do during install/removal) there is little room to work with, as many of you probably know. During the reinstall of the replaced HID bulb the metal clip fell into the bowels of the engine.

Now for those of you who have done an HID install you know how frustrating it can be removing the metal clip that holds the bulb in, placing the bulb in, and then somehow miraculously replacing the metal clip while keeping the HID wires in the middle of the clip. For those of you who haven't done this it is a miserable process that will literally test your sanity. (Note: Remove that coolant tank before installing lights to free up room!)

So there I was with no clip to hold my headlamps in. I investigated under the bonnet and then under the car, removing the oil pan guard and shining a work lamp up into the underbelly of the engine bay. No sign of the metal clip. I needed a quick fix just to hold the bulb in place until I could find a solution. I wadded up paper towels (I know its awful) and pressed them against the back of the bulb to keep the bulbs base flush with headlamp assembly.

DO NOT DO THIS!

What I failed to realize was that this obviously leaves space between the bulb and headlamp assembly where moisture can get in. Freezing temps combined with warming periods in the weather caused a nasty condensation problem inside the headlamp. There was literally was water pooled in the bottom. It was awful and very unsightly.

I posted a thread about locating or buying a new headlamp clip on the forum but few people seem to have any ideas. One member I recall had manufactured his own clip from metal wire.

MY SOLUTION:

I went to Home Depot and purchased electrical putty (can be found in the electrical section). This is a waterproof, fireproof, tacky clay that never completely dries yet maintains a good hold on plastics, wood, and drywall. It cost me $3 or so. I also picked up a Silica Gel pack (the kind you find in shoe boxes).

Tools:
Silica Gel pack
Fishing line (dental floss works too)
Electrical putty

Directions:
1. Cut hole in silica gel pack (not too big so the little pieces of silica don't fall out)
2. Thread the fishing line through the hole and tie a strong knot!
3. Remove headlight bulb
4. Place silica gel pack through bulb socket hole in the headlamp assembly (remember to leave enough fishing line out the other end so you can remove it!)
5. Place bulb back in socket
6. Take electrical putty and carefully press it around the section where the base of the bulb meets the headlamp assembly (the head lamp clip will suffice also) Note: if using electrical putty make sure the entire rim of the bulb's base is fully covered and sealed with the putty
7. Wait and watch! After four days that dripping condensation which looked impossible to ever remove was gone! I watched it dry up with my own eyes!
8. Once all the condensation is gone remove the putty/clip , remove the bulb, and gingerly remove the silica pack by pulling on the fishing line (BE CAREFUL when you do this so the silica pack doesn't rip off and land inside the headlight assembly!)
9. Place the bulb back and the clip and you are good to go!

*This is a somewhat jerryrigged process and I can imagine people not being comfortable doing this. In my case my car only has the powertrain warranty left so it was either get creative or go to the stealership.

**I think that even if you have your headlight clip and you still are getting condensation in the interior of the headlamp assembly, trying a combo of this method and using your clip could be successful!

***If you use this method and the condensation still isn't going away then there is still an area somewhere where moisture is seeping in. Redo the electrical putty around the seal or adjust it and see if you notice any changes in the condensation.

****If the moisture isn't coming in from where the bulb meets the headlight assembly then you probably will have to take the car in to get this repaired.

*****The electrical putty is AWESOME! It never completely dries so you can always remove it at any time. So don't worry about having your car permanently effected.

Last edited by beasticles; 02-24-2009 at 12:22 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My new XF has this problem, unfortunately. (old one didnt, for whatever reason) For those owners w/ vehicles out of warranty, what did the dealership charge to have the TSB done? (08-002-05)

Old 11-04-2010, 12:14 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s40guy
My new XF has this problem, unfortunately. (old one didnt, for whatever reason) For those owners w/ vehicles out of warranty, what did the dealership charge to have the TSB done? (08-002-05)
The kit costs about 20-25 bucks, but they'll charge you another 100 or so for "labor."

Save yourself the money, buy the kit, take it home and do it yourself. It's as easy as taking all the caps off of the headlight assembly, turning the lows and highs on and letting the moisture evaporate. Just make sure to either have the car outside and running or on a battery charger so you don't kill your battery.

Cheers!

Old 11-04-2010, 12:15 PM

I had that problem. It was when I changed the bulb and did not fit the runer cap back on properly. The solution is to take the cap off, park your car in the sun( headlights have to be I the sun) and turn both of your regular lights and high beams on so it evaporates. If there is allot of water, repeat this process until it's all gone The cheapest, easiest and probably the longest way

Old 11-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Forum Regular

geez, now i feel stupid for making a new thread in the coupe section. I didnt think I'd get any responses here.Thanks for answering. I'm assuming I can order it thru the dealer?

Old 11-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s40guy
geez, now i feel stupid for making a new thread in the coupe section. I didnt think I'd get any responses here.Thanks for answering. I'm assuming I can order it thru the dealer?
Yup, sure can. Just tell them you want to purchase the TSB but will do the rest yourself. They'll probably try to give you a song and dance about how they are professionals and properly trained and blah blah blah, but don't buy into it, they won't do anything you can't do yourself at home for free.