Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Foglight disassembly

Old 01-15-2009, 12:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Foglight disassembly

Anyone have info on how to disassemble the foglight assembly? The little silver cap over the bulb has popped off on mine when the bulb exploded from getting wet and now the cap is stuck on the bottom of the light.

TIA!

Old 01-15-2009, 12:52 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Foglight disassembly

It is covered under warranty. IF you still have warranty.

I think it's a sealed unit, but you may be able to crush the little cap with a needlenosed pliers to a shape that will pass through the hole.

Good luck!

Old 01-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Forum Regular

try that, and maybe a shop vac if it will get in there. never tried it personally, but that would be the first thing I would try, or compressed air, to blow it out????? good luck, chris

Old 01-17-2009, 09:56 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Get a rubber tube small enough to go in the hole, put one end in your mouth, put the other end against the cap and suck. The part will be held against the tube hole and you can pull it out. The tube is obviously smaller in size than the cap. Do not suck up any glass shards.
Bigger items can be held against a larger pipe on the vacuum cleaner, just tape a suitable size pipe to the vacuum hose. You may have to make a hole in the tape area so the sucking pressure is less. It works.

Those tools with spring claws on work as well if the area is large enough.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:33 AM

ummmm you can DEFINATELY take them apart. In fact, once you get them apart, you can remove that cap and the bracket to make them look like the updated lights. There are two plastic tabs over pins that hold that brown part in...just carefully bend the tabs out and pull. I did this successfully to two pair. PM me if you need more info.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:35 AM

If you still have the factory warranty go ahead and get them replaced. I was told they have to replace both, not just one as they are sold in pairs. If you have an extended warranty, then you're out of luck (I'm in this boat) and it's probably easier to take the bumper off and fo it yourself.

Are the foglamps sealed? How do you go about disassembling them?

Old 01-25-2009, 07:37 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorLCA
If you still have the factory warranty go ahead and get them replaced. I was told they have to replace both, not just one as they are sold in pairs. If you have an extended warranty, then you're out of luck (I'm in this boat) and it's probably easier to take the bumper off and fo it yourself.

Are the foglamps sealed? How do you go about disassembling them?
I had both replaced under warranty, one cap came loose. I looked at the old ones when they were removed. and they were welded shut. They wouldn't let me keep them. Why is that???

The new design just doesn't have the caps. Other than that they look identical. But I would swear the light pattern is different?

Old 01-25-2009, 01:26 PM

The fog lights are not sold in pairs. You just have to buy two because the new design is different and nobody wants mis-matched fog lights. YOU CAN DEFINATELY TAKE THEM APART. I did mine and a friends...in fact, if anyone one has the old style, send them to me and i will do it for free. It only takes about ten minutes. There is a large gasket which "seals" the unit but the whole thing just snaps together...DONT PULL YOUR BUMPER OFF OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT!

Old 01-25-2009, 03:38 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by maxcichon
I had both replaced under warranty, one cap came loose. I looked at the old ones when they were removed. and they were welded shut. They wouldn't let me keep them. Why is that???

The new design just doesn't have the caps. Other than that they look identical. But I would swear the light pattern is different?
The light pattern on the replacement fog lights are definately different. Lights the sides far better. Lightly pry the two clips from the burgandy colored ring, then the light will seperate. Once seperated,cut out the two wire support for the tube that the cap pops onto. This tube blocks the side lighting. The pattern will then be the same as the new replacement fogg's. Squirrel Crusher

Last edited by Squirrel Crusher; 01-25-2009 at 03:57 PM.