Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Going Vertical

Old 12-16-2008, 05:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Going Vertical

After toying with the idea for the last 3 years, I finally went vertical.....doors!

They are from Vertical Doors in Corona, CA. They hold the patents to the "...open out, then up..." method and have been enforcing them pretty hard over the last year. All parts are made in the USA compared to some of the cheaper imports.

As I have written before, I have some problems with my legs. When I cannot open the doors wide, I have trouble getting my feet out without kicking the H3LL out of the lower door panels. If I can only open the door to the first detent, forget it, I can't get in or out period! I have actually been stranded waiting for the driver of the car next to me to return to their car to be able to leave the lot.

Look at the pictures and you will see that the foot area is complete unobstructed when the doors are raised. I back up to the seat, sit down and swing my feet around into the car...easy as pie. Isn't it great when you can use a medical excuse to get something that looks this cool? LOL

This is a pure bolt on kit using the stock mounting holes. That means it is reversable any time I choose. If interested in getting a set let me know. I should be able to offer the lowest price on this kit.

Working on more mods, keep tuned...

Karl

Old 12-16-2008, 05:34 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Going Vertical

Sweet! I like. Never been a real big fan of Lambo doors on a nonlambo car, but at the same time I do like it. Some people may rip on it, but I give you props, medical condition or not

I don't have the excuse but I would like to know the cost, I am intrigued.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:39 PM
Forum Regular

Looks really great!!! Medical or not..
One qustion, Do the doors still open out like before??

Old 12-16-2008, 05:56 PM

The doors open to the first detent then go up. Drove it around only one day and got more compliments in that day than the previous six months.

The kit is around $1K (maybe less).

Old 12-16-2008, 06:48 PM

THEY LOOK GREAT. oNE QUESTION.

If you do not open the door all the out and try to lift the door, does the front upper corner of the inside door pad hit or rub against the pillar?

What size hydralics did you use and are there two for each door?

Old 12-16-2008, 06:55 PM
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

I have a heck of a time getting in/out on the first detent also. My medical problem is that my legs are too long! How do I get a set of the door hinges paid for medically?

Last edited by tighed1; 02-02-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:28 PM

Just double checked, nope, it does not. It will not open up unless the door is out enough to clear. There appears to be a stop of some sort.

It is a single piston shock guaranteed for 3 years. They own the patents on the "out and up" mechanism "Made in USA U.S. PATENT #6,808,223; #6,845,547; #7,140,075; #7,059,655 and other patents pending."
They are aggressively enforcing them.

Originally Posted by RMADERMAN
THEY LOOK GREAT. oNE QUESTION.

If you do not open the door all the out and try to lift the door, does the front upper corner of the inside door pad hit or rub against the pillar?

What size hydralics did you use and are there two for each door?

Old 12-16-2008, 07:35 PM

While not covered by insurance, to convince my CFO (wife) of the "medical" need took almost 3 years of reminders of my need for them. LOL

Seriously, by opening the area next to the footwell, it really is much easier to enter and exit. We sit low in our cars and need the door open wide. Very practical, and they look cool too!

I can't understand them on a 4 door at all. But they do seem to fit the style and type of cars we have.

Originally Posted by tighed1
I have a heck of a time getting in/out on the first detent also. My medical problem is that me legs are too long! How do I get a set of the door hinges paid for medically?

Old 12-16-2008, 08:19 PM

Some pics from SEMA. The Smart in the pictures is a "demonstrator". George Barris of custom car fame teamed up with Vertical Doors to create it. Adds about $20K to the cost of the Smart. I was told there have been at least 10 orders. It truly is amazing.

On a side note, used a medical "need" as the reason to buy the doors, but could probably qualify for "oldtimers" disease as well. When I called them about the doors and talked about the BatSmart they asked me about the leather upholstered "Batgirl". I could only remember the car...LMAO....

There is only two things I hate about getting older. First, I seem to forget things and the second....I just can't remember the second!

Old 12-17-2008, 04:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those are sweet ! Like others I'm not a big fan of the vertical doors not on a "Lambo", but I think they look great on the Crossfire !

Does all the standard XFire panels and such install on the vert. doors or are they pre-paneled ? What about paint ? Are they paint matched or does one have to have them painted ?

Just my Dos Centavos

Old 12-17-2008, 05:31 AM

The doors are actually the originals. They replace the orinial hinge (it is bolted on) and bolt new hinges that allow the out and up. The kits are not universal like most others, but specific to each car. There was a silver roadster in the shop the week before mine. They said the customer drove to SoCal from Texas. Anyone want to claim it?

Here is what a kit typically looks like

Originally Posted by Stogey
Those are sweet ! Like others I'm not a big fan of the vertical doors not on a "Lambo", but I think they look great on the Crossfire !

Does all the standard XFire panels and such install on the vert. doors or are they pre-paneled ? What about paint ? Are they paint matched or does one have to have them painted ?

Just my Dos Centavos

Old 12-17-2008, 05:51 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks great! How hard is it to close the door once you are sitting in the car? Seams like you'd have to reach awfully far up to grab the handle.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:11 AM

Takes a little getting used to and depends on the strength of your arm. Very hard to pull down from the door pull, it is too far forward. If you grab the armrest toward the back it is easier. I use the two hand method, the door pull and the back of the armrest. Because I am right handed, the passenger side is very easy. An anemic left arm requires a bit more of a tug. One of the key things I have found is to just pull/push the door and release to close them. The fit is perfect and they close easily that way. If you hold on while closing, you sometimes have a tendency to pull up or down slightly and that will affect whether the door closes completely.

My feet are very happy and are not as contorted with the change.

Originally Posted by InfernoRedXfire
Looks great! How hard is it to close the door once you are sitting in the car? Seams like you'd have to reach awfully far up to grab the handle.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:30 AM
Forum Regular

Ok. I think I have been swayed. They look great on these cars, screw that it isn't a Lambo.

Doing my research now. Gotta call and get a price, and let that sink in with the wife. She seemed up to the cost to coolness factor ratio. Not going all the way to CA though, self install for me. Hopefully next year sometime. First I gotta fix this $1800 driveshaft. https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=30420

Old 12-17-2008, 06:48 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

SRT SIX,

your PM box is full and I can't send you a PM.

Fix it!!!

Old 12-17-2008, 07:01 AM

Done, oh mighty Max

Originally Posted by maxcichon
SRT SIX,

your PM box is full and I can't send you a PM.

Fix it!!!

Old 12-17-2008, 07:03 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I get in my car the same way. Although I can get in my car with the door at the first stop, it is a PITA. Not a big fan of the lift doors either, but it sure would make getting in and out much easier. I'll cogitate on it some more. Side note: shouldnt add much weight to my car for racing.

MikeR

Old 12-17-2008, 08:34 AM
Life is random...so am I.

Originally Posted by SRT SIX
Some pics from SEMA. The Smart in the pictures is a "demonstrator". George Barris of custom car fame teamed up with Vertical Doors to create it. Adds about $20K to the cost of the Smart. I was told there have been at least 10 orders. It truly is amazing.

On a side note, used a medical "need" as the reason to buy the doors, but could probably qualify for "oldtimers" disease as well. When I called them about the doors and talked about the BatSmart they asked me about the leather upholstered "Batgirl". I could only remember the car...LMAO....

There is only two things I hate about getting older. First, I seem to forget things and the second....I just can't remember the second!

To hell with the doors.......Tell me about the girl!!!!!!

Old 12-17-2008, 08:53 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by apkano
To hell with the doors.......Tell me about the girl!!!!!!
Former oyster diver, until she got a punctured ear drum setting the longest free dive record.
4 days 3 hours 34 minutes.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:04 AM
Life is random...so am I.

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Former oyster diver, until she got a punctured ear drum setting the longest free dive record.
4 days 3 hours 34 minutes.
Interesting..........have any video of this?

Quick Reply: Going Vertical