Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Going Vertical

Old 12-17-2008, 09:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Going Vertical

as a truck and rod guy I always thought they were super tacky, but they look great on these cars, and some other coupes....great choice man

Old 12-19-2008, 12:01 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For those interested in getting the lambo doors.

I am now able to offer group pricing on any Crossfire orders.

The kit requires a modified washer bottle that is included in the price. There is a $250 refundable core replacement charge. The modified bottle is shipped with the order. Your original must be shipped back within 10 days and the $250 charge is refunded.

Pricing below does not reflect the washer bottle deposit.

Any location in the 48 states of the Continental US including shipping is $999

Special California pricing. FOB Corona, CA $914

Fully installed by the factory in Corona, CA $1100

These kits are specific to all models and years for the Crossfire

As mentioned before, all hardware carries a lifetime warranty (with exception of the struts) Struts carry a 3 year warranty when installed by Vertical Doors in Corona, otherwise struts carry a 90 day warranty.

These kits are made in the USA and the "out and up" patent is being enforced by Vertical Doors.

Any questions send me a PM.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:07 PM
Received 93 Likes on 45 Posts

I wish there was a way to alter the front fender so the door wouldn't go out at all. I want it to just go up.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:15 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MAYAman
I wish there was a way to alter the front fender so the door wouldn't go out at all. I want it to just go up.
Don't forget the locking mechanism, it is designed to lock horizontally too. Add that to fender altering, a pilar and roof edge altering...

I would like to see a smooth outward arcing and up design that didn't require you to actually open the door normally, and then go up. Out just a few inches then up, sounds easier than straight up, but would require more body mod's than this.

My wife is actually cool with this idea, now to decide weather I want to drop a grand on it or not....Would really like to try a set first hand too.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:30 PM
Received 93 Likes on 45 Posts

It would be cool if you could put window frames around the doors and then weld that to the top of the car and then cut it so it could be a gullwing. gullwing doors like on a delorean would be sick on the crossfire.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:15 PM

Am in SoCal getting away from the Colorado snow. Since my son lives in Rancho Cucamonga, I called Karl (Carl?) - SRT SIX - and asked to see his doors up close and personal. Now, like SRT SIX, I have a problem getting out of our coupe. I have an artificial left leg and the foot just doesn't turn to allow for easy access without hitting the speaker grille, etc.. And, if the door doesn't open all the way, forget it

The vertical doors were awesome. Operated smoothly. Looked pretty cool and were not extremely difficult to close. The latter takes some practice, but all-in-all I was very impressed and will probably get a set installed before spring (even my wife said "do it"). While I'm at it, you really should see this car. The mods are so subtle you almost don't notice them and then all of a sudden they hit you between the eyes. A GORGEOU"S car.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:08 PM

Wow, that looks GREAT!

Between TVT's 265+ and these doors, I'm going to have to wring out my budget!

Old 12-30-2008, 09:23 PM

Ryan,

It was really nice meeting you, the CFO and your son today.

I keep telling my insurance company that the doors are a medical necessity but they still won't pay.

Thanks for the kind words. Hope you have a safe journey home and looking forward to seeing you again in the future.

Karl

Originally Posted by deloreanbiker
Am in SoCal getting away from the Colorado snow. Since my son lives in Rancho Cucamonga, I called Karl (Carl?) - SRT SIX - and asked to see his doors up close and personal. Now, like SRT SIX, I have a problem getting out of our coupe. I have an artificial left leg and the foot just doesn't turn to allow for easy access without hitting the speaker grille, etc.. And, if the door doesn't open all the way, forget it

The vertical doors were awesome. Operated smoothly. Looked pretty cool and were not extremely difficult to close. The latter takes some practice, but all-in-all I was very impressed and will probably get a set installed before spring (even my wife said "do it"). While I'm at it, you really should see this car. The mods are so subtle you almost don't notice them and then all of a sudden they hit you between the eyes. A GORGEOU"S car.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by SRT SIX
For those interested in getting the lambo doors.

I am now able to offer group pricing on any Crossfire orders.

The kit requires a modified washer bottle that is included in the price. There is a $250 refundable core replacement charge. The modified bottle is shipped with the order. Your original must be shipped back within 10 days and the $250 charge is refunded.

Pricing below does not reflect the washer bottle deposit.

Any location in the 48 states of the Continental US including shipping is $999

Special California pricing. FOB Corona, CA $914

Fully installed by the factory in Corona, CA $1100

These kits are specific to all models and years for the Crossfire

As mentioned before, all hardware carries a lifetime warranty (with exception of the struts) Struts carry a 3 year warranty when installed by Vertical Doors in Corona, otherwise struts carry a 90 day warranty.

These kits are made in the USA and the "out and up" patent is being enforced by Vertical Doors.

Any questions send me a PM.
Is this kit different than this $400 kit on eBay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=220333596139

Old 12-31-2008, 10:20 PM

DEFINITELY NOT! This kit appears to be a Chinese knock0ff. They will be getting a call from Vertical Doors for possible patent inftingement.

Look at the text. It claims that it is a direct bolt on, then later says
MODIFICATIONS MIGHT BE NECESSARY WHEN INSTALLING THIS KIT! BECAUSE FACTORY DOOR HINGES ON MANY GERMAN DESIGNED MODEL CARS ARE WELDED TO THE FRAME OF THE CAR, CUTTING, SHAVING, OR DRILLING WILL BE NECESSARY!

Hmmmm, what seems to be wrong with that? I doubt they include the modified washer bottle. Ask another Crossfire owner if they can use their windshield washer, the answer is probably, NO!

The warranty is for 6 months vs Vertical Doors lifetime (less shocks)

Originally Posted by IRSmurf
Is this kit different than this $400 kit on eBay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=220333596139

Old 01-01-2009, 07:02 AM
Forum Regular

Ditto...

I saw those too, but I now live by the adage, "You get what you pay for". The quality of parts, install, warranty and ability of the producer to stand behind their product, looks MUCH better from Vertical Doors. Door are heavy, important and used daily, so the product needs to be perfect. IMO

Old 01-01-2009, 09:00 AM

I was wondering, how come the washer fluid bottle has to be replaced?

In the kit it does not show a wireing harness extension, on most kits I thought one was needed...

On the disclaimer from the ebay item it talks about perhaps the hinges are welded to the frame, I assume if this was true it would be a problem with any kit you buy. My roadster is put away for the winter I apologise I have no way to check if mine are.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:02 AM

The hinges are NOT welded on. If the kit is specific to the Crossfire, they should know that.

The arc of the hinge sweep up into the fender. The washer bottle is under the fender behind the right front wheel well. It is very large and has to be reshaped to allow the hinge to move in that area.

Here is a picture of the modified hinge. Sorry it isn't better quality. Normally the bottle goes straight up. As you can see in the picture it has been reshaped. The reshaped bottle is included in the kit as a core replacement. You ship your bottle back after it is replaced.

Originally Posted by AuroraXF
I was wondering, how come the washer fluid bottle has to be replaced?

In the kit it does not show a wireing harness extension, on most kits I thought one was needed...

On the disclaimer from the ebay item it talks about perhaps the hinges are welded to the frame, I assume if this was true it would be a problem with any kit you buy. My roadster is put away for the winter I apologise I have no way to check if mine are.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:56 PM

Ok so with this kit the doors go out then up...but not all the way up? Can that be ajusted? Cause I see pics of our cars with there doors straight up? And with those kits it looks like the door opens straight up with out having to open out first?

Old 01-01-2009, 08:23 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Knghtrdrzn
Ok so with this kit the doors go out then up...but not all the way up? Can that be ajusted? Cause I see pics of our cars with there doors straight up? And with those kits it looks like the door opens straight up with out having to open out first?
They all go out and then up, unless you have a Lambo (or similarly factory equipped car). The striker plate, A pillar, roof, etc. is designed for a horizontally moving door. The only way to work around this without MAJOR body mods is to go out to the first 'click' and then go up. Once up they look more as though they went straight up. Plus if you dont feel like showing off you could simply open the the door one click and then use normally

Old 01-01-2009, 09:57 PM

MI6_007 is 100% correct....It would require major re-engineering to just go straight up (if it is even possible).

The kit goes up about 75% to horizontal. I have seen some that go 90% but it would be impossible to close when seated (probably hard to open all the way while seated as well). There is really no reason to open more than the 75%. That opening allows easy ingress/egress.

Originally Posted by MI6_007
They all go out and then up, unless you have a Lambo (or similarly factory equipped car). The striker plate, A pillar, roof, etc. is designed for a horizontally moving door. The only way to work around this without MAJOR body mods is to go out to the first 'click' and then go up. Once up they look more as though they went straight up. Plus if you dont feel like showing off you could simply open the the door one click and then use normally

Old 01-02-2009, 04:30 AM

I think the Lambo doors look good on the crossfire. My daughter's doors go up 90 degrees. It does tale a little strength to pull them down if u are already sitting in the XF. The trick is to pull them down slightly as you are getting in. Once you do that , you guide the door to the bottom w/o bouncing it down hard and gently close the door as you would regular doors.

It takes a minute to get use to.

The only concern I have is that her doors need an additional guiding bar that would force the door outward before going up. The reason is because the way they are now if you try and open the door and immediately go up it will mess up the corner od the inner door pad. We are aware of this and do not have a problem understanding the mechanics of the process. Unfortunately the dealer personnel are brainless. They replaced the doorpads once already.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:24 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RMADERMAN
I think the Lambo doors look good on the crossfire. My daughter's doors go up 90 degrees. It does tale a little strength to pull them down if u are already sitting in the XF. The trick is to pull them down slightly as you are getting in. Once you do that , you guide the door to the bottom w/o bouncing it down hard and gently close the door as you would regular doors.

It takes a minute to get use to.

The only concern I have is that her doors need an additional guiding bar that would force the door outward before going up. The reason is because the way they are now if you try and open the door and immediately go up it will mess up the corner od the inner door pad. We are aware of this and do not have a problem understanding the mechanics of the process. Unfortunately the dealer personnel are brainless. They replaced the doorpads once already.
So which type does she have on hers?

Old 01-02-2009, 01:54 PM

SRT SIX,

Anyway you could make a short vid of the doors opening and closing?

Old 01-02-2009, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by soon2b_xfire
SRT SIX,

Anyway you could make a short vid of the doors opening and closing?
Second I want to see these things in actions!

Quick Reply: Going Vertical