Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

front license plate

Old 10-11-2008, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front license plate

Just purchased a 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster. My state requies both front and rear license plates. I noticed that on my car there are no brackets or screw hools in the bumper. Can I buy some kit or do I have to have a dealer install the plate.

Old 10-11-2008, 01:06 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: front license plate

Originally Posted by gianna1999
Just purchased a 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster. My state requies both front and rear license plates. I noticed that on my car there are no brackets or screw hools in the bumper. Can I buy some kit or do I have to have a dealer install the plate.
~ the car comes with a plate bracket made for the cars front bumper... the downside is... two holes will need to be drilled into your cars bumper.

i have an extra plate bracket (still in plastic) of you want it... just cover the shipping cost and its yours...

DSC02575.jpg

DSC02573.jpg

DSC02574-1.jpg

Old 10-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Forum Regular

What an attrocity. I rather pay the $25 ticket then make a hole in a bumper.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kit Fox
What an attrocity. I rather pay the $25 ticket then make a hole in a bumper.
Not $25 any more...I believe it is up to $75...I'll take my chances too.
Hate the front plate!

Old 10-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 70GT6
I'll take my chances too.
Hate the front plate!
~ oh do i agree !!! it ruins the lines of a beautiful car...

Old 10-13-2008, 02:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks. Here in NV (Vegas at least) you need both plates.

Fortunately, there's many cars without the front plates or brackets driven around. I've only heard of LEOs citing for this if they're stomping your ***** or trying to ice your cake in addition to another violation.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:52 PM

Wisc. requires both plates but I've yet to actually install my front plate.
Got the bracket, though!
And keep it behind the passenger seat.
Been pulled over twice for "no front plate", haven't even received an official warning either time. So until I get a citation the front plate is staying off.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:35 PM
Received 607 Likes on 402 Posts

If you have the front plate bracket you don't need to drill holes in the bumper.
Use two very long wing ding (toggle) bolts and some plastic washers and wingnuts to affix it to your lower grills. Works just fine and hangs low so as not to disturb the lines of the front bumper.
Simply remove the wing ding from the bolt, run the bolt throught the holes in the bracket and secure with some nuts and washers. Add a plastic wing nut with a plastic washer and replace the wingding. Push the whole mess thru the lower grill after lining it up. The wingding will open on the back side of the grill and you canthen tighten the wingnut.
If things don't line up the way you would like, you can pull the grills out, disasemble and try again.

Check out pictures in my gallery.

roadster with a stick

Old 10-13-2008, 09:51 PM

i had to put a front plate on today, because i got a ticket from a parking officer in Hollywood so pissed now i have a unneeded plastic bracket in the middle of my bumper it distracts the lines of the body i hate it! Damn you California and your strict rules!

Old 04-07-2009, 10:52 PM

just got my bracket today.. maybe the srt doesnt come with 1, paid $40 bucks
damnit now may have to drill holes, if it's done the "normal" way it's supposed to be all the way up to the grille right? or it seems pretty adjustable with the way it's shaped
I got 2 tickets in 1 day parked in different locations around L.A.
so gotta put the plate on and pay the "fix it" price of $10 each

Old 04-08-2009, 12:32 PM
Forum Regular

Check this out. SRT bracket was 40 dollars? dang.

http://www.ninosport.com/Altec-Show-...?leadsource=32

Go. Buy. Be happy.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:49 PM

I have a 2004 with an SRT front bumper; I did not want to drill into the bumper, and I purchased one of those retractable front-license plate brackets from SRT SIX, one of this forum's members https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...=license+mount. I was able to set the whole thing up in less than an hour.

I purchased the non-motorized one, and it doesn't take away too much from the front of the car. Because the plate's bracket goes beneath the bumper, the plate wil sit low, and because of the slight "V" of the SRT bumper, I cannot mount it completely flush to the bumper. I have to anchor the plate with small zip ties to keep it steady. I found that it also acts as a bumper for the bumper as it will scrape against any parking 'hump', thereby, IMHO, protecting the bumper.

I can try to post some pictures (I'm still having a problem with pictures on this site. I know a lot of people (me inlcuded) feel the car looks better without a license plate in the front, but in my universe, being stopped for a missing license plate would completely ruin my day. Plus I hated having the license plate skidding from one part of my dash to the other, scratching it and casting reflections on the windshield.

Last edited by Blaiseshimmer; 04-22-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:30 PM

Gianna don't do it-you will have defaced an out of production car. Give the other two suggestions a try.

Last edited by Rapps; 05-07-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:57 PM

Glad you like yours. I still have fun with mine. Almost like candid camera with passerbys in a parking lot. At least no tickets for me and the car looks clean in front.

I am still offering them for sale.

Originally Posted by Blaiseshimmer
I have a 2004 with an SRT front bumper; I did not want to drill into the bumper, and I purchased one of those retractable front-license plate brackets from SRT SIX, one of this forum's members https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...=license+mount. I was able to set the whole thing up in less than an hour.

I purchased the non-motorized one, and it doesn't take away too much from the front of the car. Because the plate's bracket goes beneath the bumper, the plate wil sit low, and because of the slight "V" of the SRT bumper, I cannot mount it completely flush to the bumper. I have to anchor the plate with small zip ties to keep it steady. I found that it also acts as a bumper for the bumper as it will scrape against any parking 'hump', thereby, IMHO, protecting the bumper.

I can try to post some pictures (I'm still having a problem with pictures on this site. I know a lot of people (me inlcuded) feel the car looks better without a license plate in the front, but in my universe, being stopped for a missing license plate would completely ruin my day. Plus I hated having the license plate skidding from one part of my dash to the other, scratching it and casting reflections on the windshield.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:06 PM

i just purchased my crossfire in Ohio which requires the front plate but i live in NC which doesn't so after i took it off. Now I'm left with two holes in my bumper does anyone have suggestions on how to solve the problem, or am I just going to have to put the front plate back on.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by GVFire
i just purchased my crossfire in Ohio which requires the front p[late but i live in NC which doesnt so after i took it off I'm left with two holes in my bumper does anyone have suggestions on how to solve the problem, or am I just going to have to put the front plate back on.
Go to your local hardware store, one where you can open those endless parts boxes. You are looking for the plastic push pins that would hold an interior auto door panel onto the door it's self. They are flat with the porcupine style push and hold arrangement.
Order paint via your dealer to match your car color, a little touch up bottle with a big price. Get some primer, we used white as our car is yellow and these little push pins were black. Give the tops of the push pins a few primer coats and then car color paint coats. Let each dry well between.
When you buy the pins get and make up 3 pairs. The first set may get trashed because the hole in the bumper isn't as long/deep. Or some other reasons. Also check out the size of the holes in the bumper so you get the best fit.
Our gallery has shots of the end product, click to enlarge:

Cost under $5.00 for the push things, time painting and the touch up paint, but we had it anyway so I don't consider it part of the expense.
Another option is an online store I think it is named "bumperplugs" a set was $49 plus our paint color was a special order which made it cost more. These bumper plugs were big, were as with our solution the push pin is flush more or less with the bumper.
Good luck and welcome to a great group of folks.

Last edited by Rapps; 05-07-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:14 PM

Just purchased my Crossfire from someone in Michigan...with no plate bracket. Live in ohio where they require. Would anybody have theirs that they don't want or need? Will pay shipping. Not sure if I'll use but want to have just in case.
Thanks.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:35 PM

botyfriend got pulled over the other day in garland, tx for no front license plate. ticket was $186 bucks!!!!

Old 05-07-2009, 06:04 PM
Forum Regular

Holy Crap!!

Old 05-14-2009, 07:39 PM
Forum Regular

I'm in Virginia which requires a front plate, my car has the holes in the front bumper because it was bought new in Virginia, but I didn't feel like shelling out $40 for the bracket so I just have my front tag up on the dash on the drivers side in the windshield, doesn't even get a second look from cops. even went through a checkpoint one night and noone said anything, just ran a flashlight over it and asked for my license, then sent me on my way no questions asked.

Quick Reply: front license plate